The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Government and Politics (U.S. options)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olympiad
Just answered a question on whether race is still an issue and realised it came last year so won't come again :frown:

They have been known to come up two exams running
Jan 2010: racial equality in the USA remains a distant dream. Discuss
June 2010: does the election of a black president mean that racial divisions in the USA have been overcome?

Although the second is slightly more narrow only allowing you to discuss things since 2008, they are broadly the same so fingers crossed we will get some variation of race 45 :smile:
Original post by edwah011
They have been known to come up two exams running
Jan 2010: racial equality in the USA remains a distant dream. Discuss
June 2010: does the election of a black president mean that racial divisions in the USA have been overcome?

Although the second is slightly more narrow only allowing you to discuss things since 2008, they are broadly the same so fingers crossed we will get some variation of race 45 :smile:

Oooooh thank you! I hope this Q comes up!

But I feel like it may be one on Affirmative Action!
When talking about the Primaries and Caucus do we have to include examples of the upcoming ones with Clinton and Jeb Bush?
Also, if I post some of my answers to 15 markers would any one be interested in grading them?
Original post by baffledchick
When talking about the Primaries and Caucus do we have to include examples of the upcoming ones with Clinton and Jeb Bush?
Also, if I post some of my answers to 15 markers would any one be interested in grading them?

You can just mention the upcoming primary....
You can just mention the upcoming primary....

So you would have to talk about it and how Hilary Clinton has the party elites support and backing but the Republicans have several strong candidates but not one has complete backing as of yet?
Original post by baffledchick
So you would have to talk about it and how Hilary Clinton has the party elites support and backing but the Republicans have several strong candidates but not one has complete backing as of yet?

What I meant was that you could say

(Discuss invisible primary) "this battle will be further seen in the upcoming primary...."

I wouldn't say you need to know the details but since you know em, might as well include it.

Although solid examples from past primaries may be better!
Reply 86
any predictions???
"Race is the most important factor in determining the outcome of the elections."

Any help? :frown:
"Race is the most important factor in determining the outcome of the elections."

Any help? :frown:

You can talk about the significance of the Latino voting group with the fact that the Republican Party did not greatly go against Obama's Supreme Court nominations as they went down by approx 9 percentage points with the Latino vote and did not want to seem anti Hispanic - So this depicts that race is significant
Obama's Arizona voter registration drive
Swing states such as Florida
For your against points you could discuss the importance of money, media coverage, Iowa??
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 89
Hi everyone!
Visit our blog

http://ussmokefilledroom.blogspot.co.uk/

to see a few broad overviews of 3C :smile:

happy revising & good luck to all!
Original post by taamuuu
Hi everyone!
Visit our blog

http://ussmokefilledroom.blogspot.co.uk/

to see a few broad overviews of 3C :smile:

happy revising & good luck to all!

This website is amazing!!!!!
Congratulations!

Do you have any notes on "which of the two major parties is more internally divided?"

Anybody know the likelihood of the "who what extent are the two major parties ideologically distinct from one another" q appearing?
Reply 91
This website is amazing!!!!!
Congratulations!

Do you have any notes on "which of the two major parties is more internally divided?"

Anybody know the likelihood of the "who what extent are the two major parties ideologically distinct from one another" q appearing?

If that q comes up on parties I will be so happy omg
Original post by annah182
If that q comes up on parties I will be so happy omg

The internally divided? I have no idea what to write!

But if the other one comes up I will be so happy too!!!
The internally divided? I have no idea what to write!

But if the other one comes up I will be so happy too!!!

For the divisions one I'd say the Dems are more divided, something like:

For: - More even spread across Congressional caucuses, compared to the GOP which is dominated by the RSC

- Comparison of individuals on each wing of the party - Elizabeth Warren vs Henry Cuellar

- GOP more likely to vote as a whole-party bloc, e.g. Obamacare, Fiscal Stimulus

- Decline of the Tea Party has made the GOP more unified - could talk about Marco Rubio being accused of "selling out" to the mainstream party, has not met as a caucus in almost 3 years

Against: - Tea Party still holds some influence and can come into conflict with the party leadership, e.g. Ted Cruz filibuster during gov't shutdown, criticised by Mitch McConnell

- Decline of Blue Dogs - stronger left-wing consensus in the Dems

- Comparison of GOP individuals, e.g. Susan Collins vs Ted Cruz

- Slightly struggling for a final against point - could maybe do successful primary challenges to senior Republicans, e.g. David Brat beating Eric Cantor in 2014 - first time a sitting House Majority Leader has lost in a primary

- Alternatively could look at other GOP factions, e.g. the libertarians - Rand Paul on the USA Freedom Act could be a very up-to-date example for this
Reply 94
For those of you who did America last year....how did you find it?
Original post by Bonnie and Clyde
Unit 3 is a bit unpredictable but my best guess is something to do with race no longer being an issue can come up as it usually does. I realise this came up last year, however, Edexcel follows a specific pattern with this question, they do it 2 years in a row then skip a year and then do it again for another two years, it didn't come up in 2013 but came in 2014 so my best guess it will come up again this year.

The exam papers are created sometime between November-December and during that time Obama signed of his executive order on immigration reform which was (and still is) a huge thing in US politics. So, we could get a question to do with immigration reform and whether or not its been a success.

My other guesses are 45 markers on either the electoral college or primary system which have not come up in yearssss.

As for unit 4, not too sure yet but the questions for unit 4 are very repetitive so I've planned and written out A grade essays for all the past questions that have come up for unit 4 and am just learning them lol

are the patterns you observed still valid for 2016 exams?
I'm doing unit 3C and 4C, and right now I've only covered elections and now going over parties. Would it be better to cover 3/4 topics in the position I am currently in? I plan to cover parties and pressure groups by mid January in time for the mocks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending