The Student Room Group

Non violent crimes should NOT carry a prison sentence

Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depend what you mean.

There may be no violence in a robbery but there could still be a lot of damage done
We could have prisons based on a classification of the severity of the crime... violent crimes in one prison, non violent crimes in another.
What about white collar crimes, Fraud, extortion etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I wouldn't say ONLY violent crimes, but prison should be reserved for people deemed a continued threat to society. So I would say burglars for example should still face jail time even though it is not a violent crime.
Original post by doctor francis
We could have prisons based on a classification of the severity of the crime... violent crimes in one prison, non violent crimes in another.

The non violent prison wouldn't exist as there would be no prison sentence

However does this not mean that the methods by which the government deal with these people is either too light in severity or too harsh
Eg. Setting them free, community service,parole, house arrest, death penalty etc

There would be an up roar as people high up could influence the severity of the punishments for eg white collar criminals with friends in high places

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Nonviolent crimes are defined as property, drug, and public order offenses which do not involve a threat of harm or an actual attack upon a victim. Typically, the most frequently identified nonviolent crimesinvolve drug trafficking, drug possession, burglary, and larceny.

[h="3"]"United Kingdom[edit][/h]Includes all violence against the person, sexual offences, and robbery as violent crime"
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
wow op let me sell drugs to the community whilst claiming benefits and do robberies when no ones home, no prison
Original post by Darab_1496
The non violent prison wouldn't exist as there would be no prison sentence

However does this not mean that the methods by which the government deal with these people is either too light in severity or too harsh
Eg. Setting them free, community service,parole, house arrest, death penalty etc

There would be an up roar as people high up could influence the severity of the punishments for eg white collar criminals with friends in high places

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the difference?
Reply 9
Original post by D.n.A
wow op let me sell drugs to the community whilst claiming benefits and do robberies when no ones home, no prison

robbery falls under violent crime in the uk but as for the other 2, i do not think there should be a prison sentence
Reply 10
Original post by white boy
robbery falls under violent crime in the uk but as for the other 2, i do not think there should be a prison sentence

is it still violent if the people aren't home..?
That's brilliant.

I can be the biggest fraudster and still avoid jail time.

Haha jog on white boy
Reply 12
Original post by D.n.A
is it still violent if the people aren't home..?

don't know, not a lawyer
Reply 13
Original post by bittr n swt
That's brilliant.

Haha jog on white boy

what would be the problem?
and allow hackers to control the net? and have all your money taken from you, sounds good pal.
Reply 15
Original post by Joshale
and allow hackers to control the net? and have all your money taken from you, sounds good pal.

lmao

what?
Reply 16
Original post by bittr n swt
That's brilliant.

Haha jog on white boy

But what if he is not a jogger.
Original post by white boy
lmao

what?

considering hacking is against the law, people hacking governments, basically running the internet:wink:
Reply 18
Original post by Joshale
considering hacking is against the law, people hacking governments, basically running the internet:wink:

i'm still not 100% on what you mean but in any case, i never said non violent crime should go without punishment. just without prison.
Original post by doctor francis
What's the difference?

True

Difference would be that they couldn't hide their cock ups as well
It would probably be more blatant

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending