The Student Room Group

Shamima Begum was made a scapegoat – we would welcome her back, say Bethnal Green res

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/welcome-her-back-bethnal-green-203654133.html
I saw this on yahoo it's ridiculous I mean even if she did come back she'd be put straight into prison wouldn't she? It's mad they think she'd just come home like nothing ever happened.

Scroll to see replies

I don't have much time for her but I suspect UK prison would be a lot safer and optimistic than where she is.

She would be facing some charges but there seems to be a lot of doubts over what could be proven and I wouldn't expect a long sentence, well, in theory.
Reply 2
It utterly perplexes me why the government, the press and so many people are obsessed with Shamima Begum while the rest of the several hundred individuals from Britain that joined ISIS are largely forgotten about. It is a strange choice for a cause celebre.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I saw this on yahoo it's ridiculous I mean even if she did come back she'd be put straight into prison wouldn't she? It's mad they think she'd just come home like nothing ever happened.

Don’t get political here that’s a family relative and loved one TSR and the mods should close this thread immediately
Original post by User_name001
Don’t get political here that’s a family relative and loved one TSR and the mods should close this thread immediately

Public interest.
Original post by StriderHort
Public interest.

Sorry but what did you mean by that
Sorry but what did you mean by that

I mean it's national news, it's impractical to insist no one discuss it.
Original post by StriderHort
I mean it's national news, it's impractical to insist no one discuss it.

Yeah but think about her family for a moment some sign of respect needs to be shown
Yeah but think about her family for a moment some sign of respect needs to be shown

shrug far too vague a reason to ask to censor people talking about the news.

Ay bossman, I have to ask? How did the family not detect nor stop her from going the way she did in the first place- she was 16 or smth at this point not a fully autonomous adult.

If you’ve ever seen what ISIL has done you’d be sick to the stomach with those people. I don’t have any sympathy for those types of people.

I don’t think Syrians/ Iraqis would like them to live comfortably.

And we’ve seen the stupid prison sentences for people in the UK. 10 years max and she’ll be out in society. I don’t want such people in our society- I mean before she changed her look she didn’t mind the situation she was in. Only when the civil wars are wrapping up and the fall of ISIL is she running for the hills.

Sorry for this long response- I’m a Muslim and I hate what those people have done to ruin the perception of Muslims in public. People think Muslims want to kill any non-Muslims and take over countries. The animosity I get from some people I meet is disheartening knowing I can never overcome such prejudices.

~SK
Reply 10
Made a scapegoat for what?
Reply 11
opinion piece doesn't say what she's scapegoat of? i could be blind tho.

all i can gather is scapegoat of poor parenting
Reply 12
Original post by Gazpacho.
It utterly perplexes me why the government, the press and so many people are obsessed with Shamima Begum while the rest of the several hundred individuals from Britain that joined ISIS are largely forgotten about. It is a strange choice for a cause celebre.
It's just more red meat thrown to the racists who the Tories hope will vote for them.She is just a convent scapegoat to hang the threat of Islamaphobia on.
See Lee Anderson's statement yesterday.Seems he went too far this time though
i mean its wild for some people to say its some mistake. joining a terror group is a little bit of a wild thing to do shall we put. especially a group responsible for the deaths of many in horrific ways. while being 15/16 may show the subject to grooming, I still find it wild she joined in the first place and went all the way to a foreign country.
Original post by jacksmith23
i mean its wild for some people to say its some mistake. joining a terror group is a little bit of a wild thing to do shall we put. especially a group responsible for the deaths of many in horrific ways. while being 15/16 may show the subject to grooming, I still find it wild she joined in the first place and went all the way to a foreign country.

Also how did the parents/ social services let this slip all the way?
Reply 15
We should think of her family.

We should think of how they failed in their parenting and allowed themselves to raise somebody that would join a terrorist group and be willing to ally with a foreign proto state that has declared itself our enemy.

Her parents sicken me and I hope sincerely that our intelligence services investigated every inch of their lives to ensure they are not influencing anybody else.
Original post by Rakas21
We should think of her family.

We should think of how they failed in their parenting and allowed themselves to raise somebody that would join a terrorist group and be willing to ally with a foreign proto state that has declared itself our enemy.

Her parents sicken me and I hope sincerely that our intelligence services investigated every inch of their lives to ensure they are not influencing anybody else.

Yes think of her family. No they didn’t fail in her parenting. Your saying at the time a 15/16 year old to be mature that’s crazy of you to even say that people wrongly get influenced, and your acting as though humans don’t come with flaws and mistakes that’s absolutely pathetic, as a developed adult now where she is I’m sure she would be realising her mistake deeply and deep down too with regret.

It’s pathetic how TSR have not even moderated this yet alone closed this type of thread
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 17

We can't be sure that she would be tried for a sufficient terror/treason charge. So no, despite my belief that she should return to face justice, in practice I suspect we would be too soft.

Begum was a vile traitor who living in a market democracy made a choice to join a foreign proto state bent on military expansion and theocracy.

Frankly, I would like to see her tried for aiding terrorism and by extension treason. If there was justice in the world, she would be given the death penalty for the people her terrorist husband killed.
Reply 18
Yes think of her family. No they didn’t fail in her parenting. Your saying at the time a 15/16 year old to be mature that’s crazy of you to even say that people wrongly get influenced, and your acting as though humans don’t come with flaws and mistakes that’s absolutely pathetic, as a developed adult now where she is I’m sure she would be realising her mistake deeply and deep down too with regret.

It’s pathetic how TSR have not even moderated this yet alone closed this type of thread

Of course they failed. They allowed their child to become sympathetic to terrorism, to at the very least aid and abet a terrorist (she admits to willingly marrying one).

Getting too drunk and getting into a car is a stupid mistake. Joining a foreign proto state requires thought, planning and pre-meditation. She didn't just cross the road to the local mosque.

Please explain to us why you believe that remorse (we shall ignore the fact I don't believe her) is sufficient to overcome severe criminal intent and the fact that she hates the country in which she was born, or why we should accept her willingly joining terrorists and marrying one. Love is not a sufficient excuse to betray your country.
(edited 2 months ago)

I dunno why you keep saying the thread should be banned or moderated, it's not a reasonable request and unlikely to be taken seriously. Its a news forum and people can discuss the news.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending