The Student Room Group

Man sentenced for 9 years after planning to assassinate the late queen in 2021

https://news.sky.com/story/windsor-intruder-caught-with-loaded-crossbow-in-late-queen-assassination-bid-jailed-for-xx-years-12960625

Jaswant Singh Chail has been sentenced to nine years in custody over a plan to assassinate Queen Elizabeth II in 2021
Reply 1
Considering she only had a few months left in her, his actions seem rather redundant.
Nine years is pretty low in my opinion. If someone is seriously intending to commit murder then I think they should be treated as just as guilty as someone who actually succeeds in committing it.
9 years seems very low to me.,
Original post by Andrew97
9 years seems very low to me.,

How long do you think that sentence should have been?
Original post by tazarooni89
Nine years is pretty low in my opinion. If someone is seriously intending to commit murder then I think they should be treated as just as guilty as someone who actually succeeds in committing it.

Nah I don't agree. while genuine intention or any attempt to implement should be punished society, simply isn't owed the same debt, you can't claim all the same aggravating factors like a family in loss, death being permanant, life being sacred, an eye for an eye and so on, and that's before considering the doubt that they simply might not have went through with it, it's a hell of a sentence to base on a 'might have'
Reply 6
Convicted of treason but sadly not high treason.

He should never be released, this is one crime for which I would have supported execution.
Original post by Talkative Toad
How long do you think that sentence should have been?

15-20 years
15-20 years

Dang that much? But fair enough.
Reply 9
man had an online robot as a girlfriend and no one wonders why he didn't plea insanity.
Original post by Genesiss
man had an online robot as a girlfriend and no one wonders why he didn't plea insanity.

The robot said not to.
15-20 years

haha, some murderers get that much in the UK. this system is messed up
(edited 6 months ago)
Amazing that he was found guilty rather than not guilty by reason of insanity.
"He was encouraged by an artificial intelligence chatbot girlfriend" in his plan to assassinate" the monarch, an ai avatar that he had created using Replika.

That said, I believe that this extremely dangerous and disturbed individual should never be released from prison or the secure unit during his lifetime.
Should have been incarcerated on consecutive sentences for as many charges as possible.
Trespass on a protected site, aggravated trespass, attempted murder, offensive weapon possession and threats to kill.
Original post by StriderHort
Nah I don't agree. while genuine intention or any attempt to implement should be punished society, simply isn't owed the same debt, you can't claim all the same aggravating factors like a family in loss, death being permanant, life being sacred, an eye for an eye and so on, and that's before considering the doubt that they simply might not have went through with it, it's a hell of a sentence to base on a 'might have'

I’ll somewhat revise my position. I agree that “planning murder” shouldn’t necessarily be punished as severely as murder, because there’s every chance the person may not have gone through with it.

But I still think a genuine attempt at murder (which only failed due to chance factors outside of the perpetrator’s control) should be punished just as severely as murder. I don’t believe that the purpose of punishment is to “compensate a family for loss”, I believe it is to keep society safe from people who are have shown that they are willing to go through with murder, and to deter others from trying to do the same. Whether the murder is successful or not is irrelevant to how guilty the perpetrator is, in my view.
Original post by tazarooni89
I’ll somewhat revise my position. I agree that “planning murder” shouldn’t necessarily be punished as severely as murder, because there’s every chance the person may not have gone through with it.

But I still think a genuine attempt at murder (which only failed due to chance factors outside of the perpetrator’s control) should be punished just as severely as murder. I don’t believe that the purpose of punishment is to “compensate a family for loss”, I believe it is to keep society safe from people who are have shown that they are willing to go through with murder, and to deter others from trying to do the same. Whether the murder is successful or not is irrelevant to how guilty the perpetrator is, in my view.

I still don't think you can treat them the same as they have very different results. I'd argue that the purpose is at least both public safety and punishment, part of it is absolutely to appease the victims who obv have no other recourse and consider the crimes impact, and that changes a lot when the victim statement goes from 'We will never get our child back' to 'wow that was a close one!'. There is certainly shared legal guilt in terms of intent, going to the area armed etc but not anywhere near the same lifelong guilt of a life taken. If we just do it by public safety, does that mean those convicted should be released immediately if they are deemed to be rehabilitated? even if that takes 10 years or a week? as surely putting a specific time on it is closer to a punishment, also with the victim and public in mind?

Take 2 drink drivers, I'd say both are equally guilty of choosing to drive intoxicated, but one hits and kills someone and the other scuffs a post on the way home, I don't think it's appropriate to punish these peoples equally. By all means throw the book at them, but don't claim these two disparate things are equal. Also if we start declaring 'That could have killed someone!' is the same as 'That killed someone' then health and safety investigations are about to get a lot more dramatic.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by StriderHort
I still don't think you can treat them the same as they have very different results. I'd argue that the purpose is at least both public safety and punishment, part of it is absolutely to appease the victims who obv have no other recourse and consider the crimes impact, and that changes a lot when the victim statement goes from 'We will never get our child back' to 'wow that was a close one!'. There is certainly shared legal guilt in terms of intent, going to the area armed etc but not anywhere near the same lifelong guilt of a life taken. If we just do it by public safety, does that mean those convicted should be released immediately if they are deemed to be rehabilitated? even if that takes 10 years or a week? as surely putting a specific time on it is closer to a punishment, also with the victim and public in mind?

Take 2 drink drivers, I'd say both are equally guilty of choosing to drive intoxicated, but one hits and kills someone and the other scuffs a post on the way home, I don't think it's appropriate to punish these peoples equally. By all means throw the book at them, but don't claim these two disparate things are equal. Also if we start declaring 'That could have killed someone!' is the same as 'That killed someone' then health and safety investigations are about to get a lot more dramatic.

I don’t think the drink-driving situation is quite the same, as neither of them are intending to kill. The fact that one kills someone and the other doesn’t may be due to one being less drunk than the other, for example. So I don’t necessarily think they’re equally guilty. Similarly for health and safety investigations; nobody’s actually trying to kill there. Rather, a death is an alert that the health and safety breach was probably a particularly bad one.

When it comes to attempted murder, I don’t think a person becomes less guilty just because, by some fluke, the person they tried to kill managed to survive. If anything, it might make the perpetrator even more dangerous than if they had succeeded, as it gives them a reason to try killing their target again. The victim impact may not be as bad, which is great for them. But I don’t think the perpetrator deserves to be spared part of their punishment due to what was essentially a matter of pure luck.

Looking at it the other way round, I don’t think a person who kills another purely by accident (where there was no negligence and they couldn’t have been expected to do anything differently) deserves any punishment at all, even though there is a significant victim impact. Because again, this would just be a case of punishing them for for pure bad luck.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending