The Student Room Group

A third of male university students say they would rape a woman if there no were no c

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iAmanze
Okay so, if you're going for a job and they say no. You stop? Never apply again and remain unemployed? ofcourse not, if you want it you get it despite the rejection.

Same in this hypothetical situation, she says no but its a world of no consequences that no will have no weight behind it and most will keep trying the same way.

Don't try and judge me personally, I'm just playing devils advocate.

Your saying 99.9% of males would do the act is judging others. So of course I will judge you and if you would do that you're a vile, dirty, ape.
Reply 41
Original post by trustmeimlying1
NO CONSEQUENCES for the male then.

I think has discussed above its a ****ty journal anyways

Why does the supposed "consequences" matter anyway? Rape is rape, and rape is wrong regardless of what follows.

You need to stop.
Original post by TornadoGR4
horrific effects on the potential victim

To play devil's advocate, what if negative effects on the victim were counted as 'consequences' (something which could easily be justified)?
Original post by Truths
Why does the supposed "consequences" matter anyway? Rape is rape, and rape is wrong regardless of what follows.

You need to stop.

I need to stop haha.Im on your side haha.

my point is the consequence part is blurry....I mean its poorly worded among other things.

This study cant be looked at seriously as a result.

rape is wrong clearly.stop putting your finger at me.that is also wrong.
Original post by Truths
Clearly there is a worryingly popular mentality at hand that needs to be changed in our culture.

How is that clear?
Reply 45
A lot of people would do a lot of things if they could get away with it. And a lot more people would admit to that the more anonymous the "study" was.
Men are dangerous creatures
That's a little bit worrying.
Original post by queen-bee
Men are dangerous creatures

No, people are dangerous.
Reply 49
Original post by e aí rapaz
How is that clear?

1/3 clear.
Original post by Truths
Basically this study only further illustrates what I have been saying for the longest time. A worrying amount of men just don't understand what rape is. Rape is not reserved for the evil spirited, psycho maniac "monster", it can be the teacher, doctor, the brother and yes the student. Sure, the vast majority of men know that rape is wrong, but once you change the word form "rape" to "sex against a woman's will", "sex with an unconscious, non consenting woman", suddenly the attitudes change. Clearly there is a worryingly popular mentality at hand that needs to be changed in our culture. Rape is so much more complicated than what some of y'all make it out to be.

People are so caught up in their us vs them, feminist feuds that they fail to see the bigger picture each and every time.

Ask a group of people if they would rob a bank, blow up a building, kill a bunch of people, or hijack a plane with "absolutely no consequences" and you'd likely get similar results (probably even higher). People's answers to entirely hypothetical situations are not in any way a reflection of what a society would actually do or think is acceptable.

A mostly homogeneous sample size of about 80 students of similar age from one US university is not exactly a representative cross section of male society, and only the data from 73 respondents were actually used. You cannot infer anything at all from this. What if some of them weren't even answering truthfully, didn't take it seriously, or misinterpreted the questions? This margin of error considering the sample size is far too problematic. How this even got published is remarkable. Then again, it's a very young, unheard of social 'science' journal with low standards and careless editors. The literature review even contained the common misuse of the '1 in 5' rape statistic (that its own authors even spoke out against) and that somehow made it through editing too.

The study illustrates nothing other than how poor some published papers can be and how not to design a research project and regard its results as meaningful.
How is it a "scientific" study?
The minuscule, unrepresentative, unreliable sample size aside, notice how they didn't even bother to ask any women these same questions. Would it not have been pertinent to include a female cohort in the study in order to make a comparison? The study had a loaded bias from the very beginning.

How news outlets reported on this was also shocking. This is how misinformation and campus rape hysteria spreads: through sensationalist reporting of poorly executed, unreliable studies.
Original post by iAmanze
Okay so, if you're going for a job and they say no. You stop? Never apply again and remain unemployed? ofcourse not, if you want it you get it despite the rejection.

Same in this hypothetical situation, she says no but its a world of no consequences that no will have no weight behind it and most will keep trying the same way.

Don't try and judge me personally, I'm just playing devils advocate.

even if she said no.. you would still do it? Disgusting.
At the rate women are admitting to universities this problem would not exist soon as there are no more males in universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Truths
Basically this study only further illustrates what I have been saying for the longest time. A worrying amount of men just don't understand what rape is. .

Nope. They understand what rape is. They just don't care.
It might be a good idea to check out Dandyman1s thread on this.
Reply 58
Original post by qwertyking
How is it a "scientific" study?

It's an insult to the term. If you were being generous you'd call this study grossly inept but if you weren't...I'd hazard to call it near fraudulent and clearly designed to prove an assertion rather than to test one. An already minuscule sample size went from 86 to 73, not the sort of numbers (about 15%) to be losing casually from such a sample size. Maybe the respondents were confused by the open-endedness of at least one question that I can see, that being the main one about no consequences: I read that as encompassing the woman as well, so that you could read it it to mean, proceeding on the assumption of consent and not hearing otherwise from the woman during or afterward, it remains an open-ended question, would you be happy with that? This is actually the kind of grey area new rape guidelines from CPS are about to introduce, so indeed it makes sense to think they were canvassing the likely response of such guidelines. I mean, 'force' does imply less ambigiousness, I personally wouldn't ever wanted to be associated with such a word and having sex with a woman, but then... I suppose some people's definitions of 'seduce' are more open-ended. Is being 'forceful' akin, in their minds, to forward? brave? daring? assertive? the notion of 'forcing' someone to have sex and then their being no consequences including for the victim is it reasonable to infer an implied consent? (as I said, precisely what the new guidelines seek to enforce: the need for explicit consent)

I know it's a work of fiction (and an atrocious one at that) but you only need to look at 50 Shades (a book I found not just shoddily written but with a real reprehensible man idolised throughout for all of the worst characteristics - stalkerish obsessiveness, domineering, control nature both inside and outside the bedroom; a penchant for sadist sexual practices so strong he built a whole room to take his 'slaves' [women] back to. Oh and exceedingly wealthy - I would say it appears being a billionaire can solve all your problems but they did finally get Jeffrey Epstein (only just)) to see the appeal, incontestably in fantasy form I'll grant you, but given its exceeding popularity, quite possibly opening the door to the notion this is a more widespread, if not widely confessed, fantasy than you might expect. Throw in the UniLad/Dapper Laughs/Pickup Artist popularity and undoubtedly a proportion of the student population might think, in the art of pulling in dingy student clubs at 4am when there's intoxication all-round, the most success is had by those who 'take charge'. Again as I said, forced seems excessively brutal to me - but to them, might it constitute no more than skilful persuasion? Was their personal definition of the term taken into account - i.e. with a secondary question, say, 'an acceptable use of force in potential sexual encounters is' or something along those lines, then have the question, 'if there were no consequences, would you use force to obtain intercourse?'. These are college campuses after all, where casual sex is rife.

Also, to extrapolate from 73 'a third male University students'. The study was undertaken in the US but as printed by the Independent, let's assume it means UK & US universities together. I'd hazard a guess that the combined population is significantly larger than 73, let's put it that way. 23 people answered yes to an ambiguous question for an agenda-driven survey with clearly questionable methodology. This does not mean 30% of men at University are just waiting for the right opportunity to rape any drunk girl they can get their hands on. The epic hysteria is getting in the way of the facts, as is so often the case
Reply 59
If this is true this is very worrying. Even regarding a small sample size it's still worrying if the study was done properly and those were it's results. (If you asked 73 students randomly I think 1/3 saying they'd rape would definitely be cause for concern rather than s statistical anomaly).

Unfortunately, the following two facts make it rather hard to accept the conclusions as 'true':

They excluded about 15% of correspondents (86 to 73)

They asked for scores out of 100 and marked everything higher than 10 as a yes answer. (Does anyone have a link for this one?)

Additionally, not knowing the exact wording makes this a little hard to judge, is it in the paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending