The Student Room Group

Every penny we spend on our comfort is tainted in the blood of innocents

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Birkenhead
When such a vast number of people in the world suffer and die as a result of problems like a lack of clean water, nutrition, medicines and vaccines that are easily fixed when money is available to charities and other actors, it is undeniable that every penny we spend on ourselves beyond our basic survival is tainted by the blood of innocents. How do you cope with the guilt of paying for things you don't need when the money spent could have saved lives in the god-forsaken places of our world? I am as guilty of this sociopathic avarice as anyone, but I seem to be the only one who realises how obscene our lifestyles are in the West in this context.

Thoughts?

By spending money on luxuries, I keep money in the economy and pay the wages of people who work in the Giorgio Armani store and the man who got a commission for selling me a Playstation 4.
Reply 41
Original post by Messiah Complex
It was still an insult i.e. 'bum chum' and thus it was an ad hominem attack. Trying to deny that is like trying to deny water is a liquid. On top of that you prejudged that I agree with Russell Brand because of the name but oh well. I hope you don't use the same logic with all people as anyone with Henry in their name you might associate with hoovers.

You also went on to launch a further attack and then stated you can't be bothered talking to me then continued to do so by replying to me. Make your mind up for crying out loud and learn to actually debate a point as opposed to attacking the poster in question just because your views do not align with theirs.

I suppose these people possessed outlooks that were inherently flawed as well and lacked basic intelligence of course too. If only we were/are all as enlightened as you seemingly are and possessed the superior outlook that you do. Now that you've been exposed as a prejudiced, hypocritical and verbal abusing person with no actual substance behind their argument other than 'omg ur outlook is like all wrong and u clearly lack intelligence derp lol' I'm done here. Remember what they taught you in school (Point, Evidence, Explain, Develop) - you'll learn how to formulate arguments actually worth reading.

:smile:

Noam Chomsky

Kurt Cobain

Naomi Klein

Karl Marx

Hugo Chavez

Amy Goodman

Anton LaVey

Russell Kirk

It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly.
Bertrand Russell[6]

Trying to reduce environmental pollution without reducing consumerism is like combating drug trafficking without reducing the drug addiction.
Jorge Majfud[7]

Kurt Cobain spent more money on heroin than I've ever spent in my life on anything.
Blame God. According to the Bible, He creates everything, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When such a vast number of people in the world suffer and die as a result of problems like a lack of clean water, nutrition, medicines and vaccines that are easily fixed when money is available to charities and other actors, it is undeniable that every penny we spend on ourselves beyond our basic survival is tainted by the blood of innocents. How do you cope with the guilt of paying for things you don't need when the money spent could have saved lives in the god-forsaken places of our world? I am as guilty of this sociopathic avarice as anyone, but I seem to be the only one who realises how obscene our lifestyles are in the West in this context.

Thoughts?

I offer an alternative viewpoint:

I buy a DVD. I do not need a DVD, as that is a luxury and therefore by your logic my hands are tainted with blood as I could've given that money to charity. But by the same grace, the money that I've paid for the DVD goes to other people who also need it to pay for essential things like food.

Slightly off-topic but relevant: I'm sure I don't need to tell you the vast salaries that CEOs of some charitable organisations are on, and if charity begins at home then why don't they turn their 6 figure salary (in extreme cases, granted) into a 5 figure salary by putting the excess towards the people who need it the most; the people the charity was set up to help in the first place.

I realise that I'm merely passing responsibility onto somebody else with that paragraph, but that doesn't change the fact that they have the ability to give that kind of money to charity more than most are.

How do I cope with the guilt? It's not their fault that they were born in the god-forsaken parts of the world, but it's also not my responsibility to bear their burden just because I wasn't born in those god-forsaken parts of the world. Again, passing the buck, but it's also true. I would say that it helps me to sleep at night but someone else suffering isn't something that keeps me up at night anyway. Selfish? Perhaps. Or maybe I've just got enough trouble in my own life to take on the worries of somebody else.

Thoughts?

I'm sorry about the people living a dreadful life, I really am and I have seen it first hand. I have helped give aid and medication in the bleakest of places. I've helped where I can and I give to some charities and that's all I can do now.

Should I be forced to sit and think about all those people who suffer when I buy something for myself or loved ones? I don't think so.
Reply 45
Original post by Balloon Baboon
I'm sorry about the people living a dreadful life, I really am and I have seen it first hand. I have helped give aid and medication in the bleakest of places. I've helped where I can and I give to some charities and that's all I can do now.

Should I be forced to sit and think about all those people who suffer when I buy something for myself or loved ones? I don't think so.

No one's asking you to sit on your arse and 'think'; read it again, Sam.
How do you cope with the guilt of paying for things you don't need when the money spent could have saved lives in the god-forsaken places of our world?

Thoughts?

You'd need to think about it in order to feel guilt, wouldn't you, Digby?
(edited 9 years ago)
Upper class Indians put diddly squat back in to India, same with the Nigerian elite. Nearly all chuggers are white too.
Reply 48
Original post by 91_House
Upper class Indians put diddly squat back in to India, same with the Nigerian elite. Nearly all chuggers are white too.

Are you suggesting it's justifiable because most people do it?
Are you suggesting it's justifiable because most people do it?

Im saying we here give a lot back. Like whenever there is some typhoon in a banana republic the public tend to feel obliged to donate funds, even when they have no real obligation to.
Reply 50
Original post by 91_House
Im saying we here give a lot back. Like whenever there is some typhoon in a banana republic the public tend to feel obliged to donate funds, even when they have no real obligation to.

That we give more to these places than others doesn't detract from anything I've said in the OP.
africa is beyond saving
What do you classify as luxury?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending