The Student Room Group

[ADVICE PLEASE] Study abroad or Scholarship?

I am currently a first year studying Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Surrey in England. One of the main reasons I chose Surrey as my first choice university is because it's rated quite highly as a global university and there is the chance to study abroad in my second year, which is something I've wanted to do for years.

My first option is North Carolina State University, which I believe is rated quite well for Civil Engineering. However, I have also been offered a scholarship from the Institute of Civil Engineers in which I would be matched with a Civil Engineering company throughout my time at uni. The company would provide me with paid work experience over my summer holidays and a £1650 grant a year, and a guaranteed job when I graduate.

Basically I need to decide which to choose because you can't do both and I'm finding it hard to make a decision. While I understand that the scholarship is a great opportunity, I am doing a year in industry in my 3rd year anyway, so I would think that this would give me enough experience to be able to find a job relatively easily after university anyway.

Any advice/thoughts would be really helpful.
Reply 1
Original post by donahueghs
I am currently a first year studying Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Surrey in England. One of the main reasons I chose Surrey as my first choice university is because it's rated quite highly as a global university and there is the chance to study abroad in my second year, which is something I've wanted to do for years.

My first option is North Carolina State University, which I believe is rated quite well for Civil Engineering. However, I have also been offered a scholarship from the Institute of Civil Engineers in which I would be matched with a Civil Engineering company throughout my time at uni. The company would provide me with paid work experience over my summer holidays and a £1650 grant a year, and a guaranteed job when I graduate.

Basically I need to decide which to choose because you can't do both and I'm finding it hard to make a decision. While I understand that the scholarship is a great opportunity, I am doing a year in industry in my 3rd year anyway, so I would think that this would give me enough experience to be able to find a job relatively easily after university anyway.

Any advice/thoughts would be really helpful.

Hello ! I am currently studying A-level in year 13. Recently, I 've got a conditional offer of civil engineering from surrey. And I am applying the ICE scholarship also this year. However, I was asked a question in the application form which really challenge me .ie:Identify one relevant area in which Civil Engineering can significantly improve our society. Discuss the potential impact of the issue and how the industry may need to adapt to recent challenges. (maximum 300 words). Can you please give me some idea??
Reply 2
Original post by ericchan
Hello ! I am currently studying A-level in year 13. Recently, I 've got a conditional offer of civil engineering from surrey. And I am applying the ICE scholarship also this year. However, I was asked a question in the application form which really challenge me .ie:Identify one relevant area in which Civil Engineering can significantly improve our society. Discuss the potential impact of the issue and how the industry may need to adapt to recent challenges. (maximum 300 words). Can you please give me some idea??

Oh wait hold on aren't you an international student? I didn't know that we are eligible for ICE scholarships; they're not meant for us in the first place.
Reply 3
Original post by Cake44
Oh wait hold on aren't you an international student? I didn't know that we are eligible for ICE scholarships; they're not meant for us in the first place.

Oh really? Damn it! Then i can just forget it-,-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending