The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Official SOAS University of London Undergraduate Applicant Thread for 2024

Hello everyone, this is a thread for anyone applying to the undergraduate courses at SOAS University of London for a start in September 2024.

Current students and SOAS staff will monitor this chat, so we will do our best to answer any of your questions. This is also a great place to meet other prospective students too!

Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can see what courses we have on offer here .
Do many people study economics and management at SOAS
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
HII, I've recently gotten an offer to study Korean and Linguistics! I am currently on a gap year as I sat my A Levels in chemistry, biology and psychology last year :smile:)
Original post by MagicalKiwi123
HII, I've recently gotten an offer to study Korean and Linguistics! I am currently on a gap year as I sat my A Levels in chemistry, biology and psychology last year :smile:)

Hi Congratulations on your offer and good luck for the start of your degree! I'm a final year undergraduate student at SOAS so if you have any questions, feel free to reach out!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Do many people study economics and management at SOAS

Hi yes they do, in fact there's loads of course combinations offered at SOAS. If you have any other questions related to the degree programme or SOAS in general, I'd be happy to answer them!
Original post by SOAS Student Rep
Hello everyone, this is a thread for anyone applying to the undergraduate courses at SOAS University of London for a start in September 2024.

Current students and SOAS staff will monitor this chat, so we will do our best to answer any of your questions. This is also a great place to meet other prospective students too!

Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can see what courses we have on offer here .

I'm applying for a Korean BA and am on a gap year right now. I was wondering how often students will need to be on campus every week/how many hours per week of self study/assignments would have to be completed on average.
I am planning to have a part-time job and hobbies on the side so was wondering if it would be reasonable to balance.
Original post by Anonymous #2
I'm applying for a Korean BA and am on a gap year right now. I was wondering how often students will need to be on campus every week/how many hours per week of self study/assignments would have to be completed on average.
I am planning to have a part-time job and hobbies on the side so was wondering if it would be reasonable to balance.

Hi,

Good luck with your application!
So, with BA Korean you'd have 8 hrs/ week of Korean in your first year. You will have two other modules usually, adding 4 more hours to your week. So, twelve hours of contact per week. You will need to put an equal amount of self-study to stay at the top of what you have learnt in class. Language study would usually require to submit weekly homework, which is not actually assignments but you will be advised to stay at the top of it. There will be midterms and end of the term test/exams for the langauge.

It is definitely possible to have hobbies and a part time job, I have one. (I did Intensive Persian in my first year). But it will definitely require you to have good time management skills, as an intensive language course is quite demanding.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us, if you have any more question!

Best wishes,
A
MA Iranian Studies and Intensive Persian
Reply 7
Heyy, got my offer for BA World Philosophies a few days ago!!!
Original post by dee7xz
Heyy, got my offer for BA World Philosophies a few days ago!!!
Congratulations on your offer! How are you feeling about starting university?
Reply 9
Original post by SOAS Student Rep
Congratulations on your offer! How are you feeling about starting university?

Tbh, I’m kinda scared. Mostly about the social aspect. I’m living from home and will be a commuter so I’m not even sure when and how I’ll be able to make friends. Other than the social aspect, I am actually look forward to university and finally not having to do A-level history anymore.
hi i have an offer for llb law with year abroad. what are the societies like? how active are they bc that will be a big part of my uni life! and are there any open day opportunities with magic circle firms that soas can help with?
are there any scholarships for law llb international students?
Original post by dee7xz
Tbh, I’m kinda scared. Mostly about the social aspect. I’m living from home and will be a commuter so I’m not even sure when and how I’ll be able to make friends. Other than the social aspect, I am actually look forward to university and finally not having to do A-level history anymore.
Ah don't worry at all, there's loads of commuters at SOAS and there's lots of ways to make friends. SOAS offers more than 165 societies that you can join e.g in sports, cultural societies like MENA, Pakistan society as well as debating society, pilates and so much more. As part of the university of London, you can also attend all other university society events like UCL, LSE etc.They offer a range of events including Meet & Greets, Boat Balls and cultural fairs. There's also great spots you can meet new people around university like the Paul Wembley and JCR (Student's Union) and every last Friday of the month, there's a late license in the JCR which includes a live performance, open bar night and it's a great way to meet people and hang out with friends!
Original post by Anonymous #3
hi i have an offer for llb law with year abroad. what are the societies like? how active are they bc that will be a big part of my uni life! and are there any open day opportunities with magic circle firms that soas can help with?
Hi congratulations for you offer! Where would you like to do your year abroad? There are over 165 societies and they're super active, for example in sports, law society, cultural societies etc. They offer a range of events throughout the year including the law ball, boat parties, games nights, pilates, trips to Cambridge, meets & greets etc. The Law society also offers commercial speed networking events with magic circle firms, legal careers counselling and law firm vacation scheme workshops. Hope this helps!
Original post by Anonymous #3
are there any scholarships for law llb international students?
Yes, SOAS offer a range of scholarships, all the information regarding these are on the website https://www.soas.ac.uk/study/fees-and-funding/scholarships/undergraduate-scholarships. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending