The Student Room Group

Men are now more objectified than women

Scroll to see replies

No. You're just getting a taste of it :smile:
What is so bad about objectification in media? We all do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Whew! This article is even more of a cringefest than I imagined. They managed all of what? 3 examples. Lel.

Original post by ilem
It sounds much more enticing than changing your entire personality just to appeal to women.

Not to mention there are women around who would be happy to have an egalitarian relationship, though probably not many.

Yes, of course, mostly over 25 who have been cheated on or otherwise burned by the 'alphas' (see nice girl meets bad boy syndrome), or otherwise have lost out from the patriarchy/conventional media's definition of attractiveness (usually overweight, or 'ugly' etc.)

If a woman has to look like a model then you should be quite the 'real man' yourself. I guess this is a reasonable expectation but the fact this is practically on a sliding scale speaks volumes. When you get a Good Girl Gina who is basically a hot girlfriend with reasonable expectations of the boyfriend, we call them a 'unicorn', such is their rarity.
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Don't worry, they will.

If I could be bothered to check through all my computer files, I'd probably be able to find Trillian conversations about how awful Twilgiht was, dating from, er 2006. At the time, it seemed like there were Twilight fans everywhere, and detesting Twilight was a niche, 'geeky' opinion.

50 SoG is just some Twilight fanfiction, and it will go the same way. If you google a bit, you'll find loads of people taking the mickey out of it with varying levels of intensity, already.

Absolutely! But most of these people are reporting from the Interwebz, the hipsters, the 'alternative' kids, those again who are hurt by the current system, or the unconventionally attractive. Still there are bimbo types who swallow it whole as Chivalry 101, and significantly more the younger the age group, naturally.

What is worrying is when a 15 or 16 year old about to embark on their first relationship thinks that Christian Grey is just a run-of-the-mill cute guy, then feels no respect for any other men their age and swallows the whole entitlement complex schtick that has been becoming the norm since the 90s. I don't doubt your intelligence Octo :smile: but some people don't take 'realism' with a pinch of salt and that can be damaging...
Original post by macromicro
No one really thinks 50 Shades of Grey is a worthy piece of literature that will stand the test of posterity. Your post almost reads as if you think this book has been critically lauded or something. It's no different to a Dan Brown book in that regard. It's popular because a) the author filled a gap in the market for mainstream erotic fiction and b) this eroticism appeals to exaggerated ideals of masculine and feminine attractiveness in modern society, i.e. the innocent, inexperienced, submissive woman and the dominant, experienced, muscular, rich man.

The majority of people who enjoy the series are women and that's because they like the idea of being swept away by a handsome, dominant prince. The author targeted that idea of attractiveness and it paid off, literally.

problem: younger, less educated or more…sheltered, choosy women don't regard these as 'exaggerated' ideals. See princess mentality
Original post by Truths
Whew! This article is even more of a cringefest than I imagined. They managed all of what? 3 examples. Lel.

3 examples of what? :s-smilie:

Also what is with these silly gifs you spam, they make you seem rather young/a miscer (Alpha Brah ITT?)
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
TSR is now a misandrist forum

yes, finally! alright, time to crush some men :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scrotgrot
Yeah Christian Grey is an objectified character. Billionaire CEO, shoots cars and lake houses and other gifts out of his arse at the girl. The whole idea that he would be interested and care enough to start a BDSM relationship with an insignificant student journalist is completely fantastical.

Objectification need not be about bodies, to say it is is to artificially restrict the definition so it only encompasses women.

Not all women understand, appreciate or want to appreciate that since male selection is primarily with regards to hypergamy (financial, economic and familial security rather than aesthetics), male objectification is primarily about utility; aesthetics is just icing on the cake.
Original post by Odd socks
yes, finally! alright, time to crush some men :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

nowhere did I say I don't like the new mods Socky :tongue: I was somewhat surprised when they promoted you, but that because it was very sudden and low-key; one day you were a mere mortal, the next :awesome:
nowhere did I say I don't like the new mods Socky :tongue: I was somewhat surprised when they promoted you, but that because it was very sudden and low-key; one day you were a mere mortal, the next :awesome:

I kept it on the down-low :ninja:

But yeah I disagree with the premise of this thread, men are not more objectified than women :nah:
Reply 71
Original post by TurboCretin
The fact that men like being called hot isn't the issue. The thing is, guys don't care all that much about other guys being called hot. Guys generally accept the fact that to be more attractive to women, they need to get to the gym and make the best of themselves. You'll never hear a guy (apart from possibly in some far-flung corner of the internet) complaining about the fact that girls like tall guys.

The reaction many girls have to other girls being called hot is completely different - it's to blame men for being objectifying misogynists.

Sadly I can't rep on the app:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Yes, of course, mostly over 25 who have been cheated on or otherwise burned by the 'alphas' (see nice girl meets bad boy syndrome), or otherwise have lost out from the patriarchy/conventional media's definition of attractiveness (usually overweight, or 'ugly' etc.)

If a woman has to look like a model then you should be quite the 'real man' yourself. I guess this is a reasonable expectation but the fact this is practically on a sliding scale speaks volumes. When you get a Good Girl Gina who is basically a hot girlfriend with reasonable expectations of the boyfriend, we call them a 'unicorn', such is their rarity.

I didn't mention anything about her looks having to be a certain way in my post. In fact that's an area I would be willing to compromise on as long as she has the right character traits, which are much harder to come by than simply good looks alone.
Reply 73
3 examples of what? :s-smilie:

Also what is with these silly gifs you spam, they make you seem rather young/a miscer (Alpha Brah ITT?)

Of male objectification. Mind you, that half of them, like 50 Shades of Grey and bondage for beginners, women are also portrayed sexually. Claiming that men are equally as objectified as women is already a reach, now to say that they are more objectified is pretty hilarious. Also funny how they right on Magic Mike as if Lapdance and Burlesque didn't happen. And they right on Peter taking his shirt off on Eastenders as if Kat didn't flash her tits out just yesterday.

The essential difference between what women are men are subjected to by popular media, is that men have a much more various display of representation. They are multidimensional. And representation has it that sexy women are shallow, and successful women are cold and unfriendly.
It has made it so, from a young age, women are discouraged in taking leadership roles afraid of being branded as the "bossy", "bitch in the boardroom". Where as there aren't really any unduly poor attitudes towards men who take charge. Women still feel that pressure to please.
Original post by ilem
I didn't mention anything about her looks having to be a certain way in my post. In fact that's an area I would be willing to compromise on as long as she has the right character traits, which are much harder to come by than simply good looks alone.

yep-you want LMS you have to give LMS. You want personality then you're barking up the wrong tree with it :tongue:
Original post by Truths
Of male objectification. Mind you, that half of them, like 50 Shades of Grey and bondage for beginners, women are also portrayed sexually. Claiming that men are equally as objectified as women is already a reach, now to say that they are more objectified is pretty hilarious. Also funny how they right on Magic Mike as if Lapdance and Burlesque didn't happen. And they right on Peter taking his shirt off on Eastenders as if Kat didn't flash her tits out just yesterday. alright fair point

The essential difference between what women are men are subjected to by popular media, is that men have a much more various display of representation. They are multidimensional. And representation has it that sexy women are shallow, and successful women are cold and unfriendly.
It has made it so, from a young age, women are discouraged in taking leadership roles afraid of being branded as the "bossy", "bitch in the boardroom". Where as there aren't really any unduly poor attitudes towards men who take charge. Women still feel that pressure to please.

I would have agreed with your 2nd para about 20 years ago, but third wave feminism has done a lot to create representations of strong and multi-dimensional female characters in pop-culture, the Disney Renaissance being my favourite example. I have no problem with that, my problem is that the current solution seems to be rather than pushing forward on all fronts, pull men back with women. I would hope any reasonable feminist would see the error in such a regressive approach. :s-smilie:
As a male I do not have a problem with this and no guy that I know has a problem with be objectified, if a chick says I have a nice butt I say thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww, poor things.
Original post by crozibear96
Aww, poor things.

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Isis_on_the_cake

Apologies, sarcasm doesn't show too well over the internet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending