The Student Room Group

How to find y', when xy=1 .

So I was doing step iii, 2000, Q1; and I needed to differentiate xy=1, and I didn't use implicit differentiation which I think gave me the wrong answer. Which makes me wonder which is ALWAYS the better way to differentiate? I'm starting to think implicit may be the way to go, because you get the derivative at every point (like in circles) and also you don't need to solve for y algebraically.

So which one is it? y=x2y'=-x^{-2} or y=x/yy'=x/y?
Original post by gagafacea1
So I was doing step iii, 2000, Q1; and I needed to differentiate xy=1, and I didn't use implicit differentiation which I think gave me the wrong answer. Which makes me wonder which is ALWAYS the better way to differentiate? I'm starting to think implicit may be the way to go, because you get the derivative at every point (like in circles) and also you don't need to solve for y algebraically.

So which one is it? y=x2y'=-x^{-2} or y=x/yy'=x/y?

y = x^-¹
y' = -1/x²

xy = 1
d/dx : y + x y' = 0
y' = - y/x
y' = - 1/x²

Same thing

It changes on situation, for that, was easier to Re arrange to for y and differentiate.

In a circle for example, probably best to go implicitly
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
y = x^-¹
y' = -1/x²

xy = 1
d/dx : y + x y' = 0
y' = - y/x
y' = - 1/x²

Same thing

It changes on situation, for that, was easier to Re arrange to for y and differentiate.

In a circle for example, probably best to go implicitly

I know but it took me about 15 min to think about doing it implicitly, which would have been disastrous in the real exam. My question is which is ALWAYS better? I'm talking here about when the coordinates themselves are unknown btw.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gagafacea1
I know but it took me about 15 min to think about doing it implicitly, which would have been disastrous in the real exam. My question is which is ALWAYS better? I'm talking here about when the coordinates themselves are unknown btw.

There's never an always... That defeats the whole point of step, you adapt to a situation
Original post by L'Evil Fish
There's never an always... That defeats the whole point of step, you adapt to a situation

probably, I just hoped that maybe, just maybe! Oh well, back to doing more questions; thanks for the help.
I think you're in big trouble if you get stuck when you need to differentiate xy=1. Has it ever occurred to you that dividing both sides by x gives y=1/x, which you should have differentiated a million times already by now? Even if you somehow dont manage to see that (:s-smilie:) differentiating implicitly should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest