The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Biology - BY4 (8th June 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
By B do you mean 70% raw marks or have you actually checked the UMS grade boundaries for that paper to confirm you actually would've gotten a B.

https://www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/

For some past papers, it's been like 70% raw marks for an A* (90%) in UMS marks.

No I've actually been checking the grade boundaries for each exam unfortunately :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
By B do you mean 70% raw marks or have you actually checked the UMS grade boundaries for that paper to confirm you actually would've gotten a B.

https://www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/

For some past papers, it's been like 70% raw marks for an A* (90%) in UMS marks.

Although from what you're saying I'm wondering if it's just been the papers I'm doing- I got 76% and 72% on the 2 most recent and they were both just a B

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crawfy
Although from what you're saying I'm wondering if it's just been the papers I'm doing- I got 76% and 72% on the 2 most recent and they were both just a B
Posted from TSR Mobile

Fe, people must've done well that year if the grade boundaries are so high.
Does anyone know what the A* boundaries were in the June 2010 exams? The WJEC Grade Boundaries page only goes back as far as 2011, I found the A-E boundaries in an examiner's report but there was no mention of the A* - I know it's typically 90% but it does fluctuate a little (I know doing the papers id the most important thing but I'm trying to boost my confidence, suddenly very nervous about getting an A* for my uni offer:colondollar:)
Original post by aLittleBookWorm
Does anyone know what the A* boundaries were in the June 2010 exams? The WJEC Grade Boundaries page only goes back as far as 2011, I found the A-E boundaries in an examiner's report but there was no mention of the A* - I know it's typically 90% but it does fluctuate a little (I know doing the papers id the most important thing but I'm trying to boost my confidence, suddenly very nervous about getting an A* for my uni offer:colondollar:)

For BY4, it was 51 for a B and 57 for an A, So I imagine it would be around (57-51)+57=63 raw marks for an A*
For BY4, it was 51 for a B and 57 for an A, So I imagine it would be around (57-51)+57=63 raw marks for an A*

I was trying to estimate it from the other grades too (and I'm doing the same with a maths paper now) :') thank you!
I do not really understand this point in the Teacher's Guide: "The carrying capacity is dependent on the availability of resources (which, therefore, act as density-dependent factors)."

What I don't understand is the part in brackets. Okay, now I understand now I've written this out. Will post it anyway! (The availability of resources act as density-dependent factors).
Populations and ecology are the worst part of the course anyway :smile:
Reply 48
Populations and ecology are the worst part of the course anyway :smile:

Ugh, for sure. Especially for the essay q.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crawfy
Ugh, for sure. Especially for the essay q.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As much as I like biology as a subject, biology exams are awful. Far more subjective than a maths exam when marking it! Although admittedly things like English and history have it worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have the mark scheme for June 2014??
So intraspecific competition is density dependent. Is interspecific competition density dependent or independent? :confused: :confused:
Original post by helloimbeth
So intraspecific competition is density dependent. Is interspecific competition density dependent or independent? :confused: :confused:

I would argue that it is, but then again I'm not the examiner. This is why I hate BY5 (the wishy-washy evolution, population and ecology bit at least).

I'll pray for all of us that there isn't too much of it in the exam :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by helloimbeth

interspecific and intraspecific competition both are density dependant factors as their effect varies/depends on the size of the population e.g- as the population increases, the competition for food/space/mates also increases. You probably won't get asked that so I wouldn't worry. Also if you still require the BY4 june 14 mark scheme then let me know I'll send it to you :smile:
Reply 54
Hi guys, can someone just confirm for me that the type of bacteria involved in respiring DOM in the carbon cycle is definitely SAPROBIONTS and not any other word... I am getting confused as I am seeing the words "saphrophytic bacteria" (nitrogen cycle), "sapribiotic bacteria" and "saprobionts" used everywhere and I can't figure out which one I am supposed to be using :frown: Thanks :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by Kealohi
Hi guys, can someone just confirm for me that the type of bacteria involved in respiring DOM in the carbon cycle is definitely SAPROBIONTS and not any other word... I am getting confused as I am seeing the words "saphrophytic bacteria" (nitrogen cycle), "sapribiotic bacteria" and "saprobionts" used everywhere and I can't figure out which one I am supposed to be using :frown: Thanks :smile:

Usually you only have to state breakdown of organic matter into inorganic by decomposing bacteria/fungi, which are in essence saprobionts or saprophytes (they both mean the same thing as far as I know, but it's better to use saprobionts). Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by Kealohi

I've only been taught saprobiotic, but as the pp said, usually the mark schemes only require decomposing bacteria or ammonifying bacteria

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Just ordering is anyone can help me- the correct answer to the question was chlorophyll a (question c,i) but it says not to accept A

does this mean it must be chlorophyll a (lower case) and not chlorophyll A (upper case)
Or does it mean don't accept JUST A without the word chlorophyll?
Hope that makes sense :/ ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433335166.459850.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by crawfy
Just ordering is anyone can help me- the correct answer to the question was chlorophyll a (question c,i) but it says not to accept A

does this mean it must be chlorophyll a (lower case) and not chlorophyll A (upper case)
Or does it mean don't accept JUST A without the word chlorophyll?
Hope that makes sense :/ ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433335166.459850.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just has to be lower case. So the answer is 'Chlorophyll a' and nothing different
Reply 59
Does anyone have any predictions for what will come up??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending