The Student Room Group

Switching from A level to IAL

I'm a year 12 International student who is currently in a UK A level college, due to financial and familial reasons I was hoping on finishing year 13 back in my home country, online accredited school. They are asking for AS which I do not have since in the UK they do the linear course. Could I do AS and A2 in the same year (end of year 13) or is it more reasonable to do Autumn AS and Summer A2. Physics, Maths, Biology Edexcel. I am getting B/A in Math&Physics and B in Bio. Teachers predicting A for Math/Physics and B for Bio.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Splitting the exams into AS in one period and A2 in another would be a good idea. If you don't you would have 18 exams to take in May/June. It will be a less busy, less stressful final exam period with fewer exams to cope with and less to revise if you split them. You can thoroughly assess the quality of your study/revision approach by taking real externally marked AS exams and make adjustments if necessary. You would have the chance to retake some AS units with the A2 if you needed to.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
Splitting the exams into AS in one period and A2 in another would be a good idea. If you don't you would have 18 exams to take in May/June. It will be a less busy, less stressful final exam period with fewer exams to cope with and less to revise if you split them. You can thoroughly assess the quality of your study/revision approach by taking real externally marked AS exams and make adjustments if necessary. You would have the chance to retake some AS units with the A2 if you needed to.

Thank you so so much!
Original post by zerere
I'm a year 12 International student who is currently in a UK A level college, due to financial and familial reasons I was hoping on finishing year 13 back in my home country, online accredited school. They are asking for AS which I do not have since in the UK they do the linear course. Could I do AS and A2 in the same year (end of year 13) or is it more reasonable to do Autumn AS and Summer A2. Physics, Maths, Biology Edexcel. I am getting B/A in Math&Physics and B in Bio. Teachers predicting A for Math/Physics and B for Bio.

Heyy, I am a UK homeschooled student doing IAL, if you don't think you are ready for AS, you could split the course between this June(as I think applications are still open) and do the other half in autumn so that you still get the grades but you aren't under the stress, I do Maths, Economics IAL and politics UK edexcel
Reply 5
Original post by cyberd00m
Heyy, I am a UK homeschooled student doing IAL, if you don't think you are ready for AS, you could split the course between this June(as I think applications are still open) and do the other half in autumn so that you still get the grades but you aren't under the stress, I do Maths, Economics IAL and politics UK edexcel

Thank you for the reply! Did you manage to sign up as a private candidate yet? Best of luck in your studies
Original post by zerere
Thank you for the reply! Did you manage to sign up as a private candidate yet? Best of luck in your studies

thank you! I signed up in February! if you do sign up now I think there will be alot of late fees, the only exam centre in the UK that does them is tutors and exams so id recommend you contact them if you need some guidance
Original post by cyberd00m
thank you! I signed up in February! if you do sign up now I think there will be alot of late fees, the only exam centre in the UK that does them is tutors and exams so id recommend you contact them if you need some guidance

the deadline is 8th of April,just checked their website!

Quick Reply

Latest