The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Biology - BY4 (8th June 2015)

Scroll to see replies

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433619148.529190.jpg This is from the past paper June 2011 for HB4! Kind of similar to the BY4 Paper so I thought I'd ask here :smile: if anyone knows how to do part a) please could you attempt it and show me how it's done as the M.S here is of no use!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know why the calvin cycle needs to occur 6 times for producing 1 molecule of glucose?
Predictions for 10 marker?
Original post by missdentist10
Does anyone know why the calvin cycle needs to occur 6 times for producing 1 molecule of glucose?

Because per turn only 1 carbon from 2xtriose phosphate is used to synthesise glucose. As glucose requires 6 carbons altogether, 6 turns is needed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84

Because each time/turn, only 1 carbon of (2X) triose phosphate is used in production of glucose and the rest is used to regenerate RuBP. (ATP supplies energy for this reaction). Glucose is 6 carbon so cycle has to go around 6 times. Nice to know I'm not the only dental applicant :biggrin: (I'm assuming you applied to dentistry based from your name)
Original post by Supergirlxxxxxx
Because per turn only 1 carbon from 2xtriose phosphate is used to synthesise glucose. As glucose requires 6 carbons altogether, 6 turns is needed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks both of you :smile:

@Asfoi yep i did :smile: got to get the grades now :/
Thats BY5. Im sure its in the spec for BY5

my bad
Reply 87
I cannot believe this exam is on monday!! I think it has finally hit home now... im so nervous!
Original post by robotboy96
Same here. I feel like im revising more for history than biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup! Guess I will have to do few more past papers for biology! Done quite a few for history but still nervous for it cause you never know what's gonna come up in the exam :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does BY5 not have any January past papers?? Unit 1,2,4 all had January and June past papers apart from unit 5??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Okay guys I came accross this in a mark scheme today and got confused...

In the calvin cycle the production of TP from GP requires ATP as an energy source, yet it said that the regeneration of RUBP from TP needed ATP for phosphorylation of the TP not for energy... is this correct?
Reply 91
Does BY5 not have any January past papers?? Unit 1,2,4 all had January and June past papers apart from unit 5??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont think so...

Usually the second unit at A2 only has a summer exam (unit 2 has a winter one as people liked to resit in the winter if they did bad at AS)
Ohhh!! Thanks that's fine then :smile: sat this paper last year so resitting this again! Fun times

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by ThePrestigeUK
Even though ive done quiet a bit of revision does any one else feel like they dont know much coming up to the exam, might just be pressure

but ive done every past paper twice and know most of the content to a decent level, yet in my head I just dont feel ready

ahhh tbh I had a chem unit 2 resit felt similar for that but smashed the exam hoping thats the case here. aswell

Wow. It sounds like you've done all you can, at this rate I'm barely going to finish all of the past papers even once!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433619148.529190.jpg This is from the past paper June 2011 for HB4! Kind of similar to the BY4 Paper so I thought I'd ask here :smile: if anyone knows how to do part a) please could you attempt it and show me how it's done as the M.S here is of no use!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sensory neurone from flame, through dorsal root connected via a relay neurone in the grey matter to a motor neurone which exits through the ventral root and I would add a synapse next to the muscle.

Original post by Natalierm2707
Okay guys I came accross this in a mark scheme today and got confused...

In the calvin cycle the production of TP from GP requires ATP as an energy source, yet it said that the regeneration of RUBP from TP needed ATP for phosphorylation of the TP not for energy... is this correct?

Yeah, that's right.
Reply 94
Original post by J_T_
Yeah, that's right.

Thanks so much !!
Reply 95
Thanks so much !!

You could remember it fairly easily too because triose phosphate only has one phosphate but ribulose bisphosphate has two phosphates so to get from TP to RuBP another phosphate will be needed amongst other things we don't need to know about.
Reply 96
Original post by J_T_
You could remember it fairly easily too because triose phosphate only has one phosphate but ribulose bisphosphate has two phosphates so to get from TP to RuBP another phosphate will be needed amongst other things we don't need to know about.

so just to clarify when going from GP to TP, GP does not undergo phosphorylation, the reaction just requires energy?
so just to clarify when going from GP to TP, GP does not undergo phosphorylation, the reaction just requires energy?

GP does undergo phosphorylation, it's not the same phosphorylation as producing ATP. Just like Glucose undergoes phosphorylation with 2 ATP molecules, so does GP. That's all you need to know to be honest.
Starting to feel so nervous! I've done every past paper that many times that I'm starting to remember what all the answers are.
Is there a table anywhere showing the net gain of ATP at each stage of respiration?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by kirsty953
Starting to feel so nervous! I've done every past paper that many times that I'm starting to remember what all the answers are.
Is there a table anywhere showing the net gain of ATP at each stage of respiration?

I am literally so nervous to, I havent done all the past papers, I have done most in class as questions though so I have pretty much done every possible question (hence why past papers are not great as I already know the answers)

I got an A* in my jan mock (93%) and I am aiming for as high as I can get, it does not seem real that its tommorrow!

here is my table for ATP gain... image1 (5).JPG
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending