The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography - GEOG3 (15th June 2015)

Scroll to see replies

does anyone have any predictions for plate tectonics 8 and 10 marker?? please thank u x
Original post by coronatheatre
does anyone have any predictions for plate tectonics 8 and 10 marker?? please thank u x

Something to do with the types of plate boundary maybe for an 8 marker. Like to with constructive margins and associated landforms for example. I'm also feeling management and mitigation of tectonic hazards is going to come up (there's a good bit about this in the CGP book). I'm going to try and do a world cities 40 marker as I'm hoping it will be on sustainability or regeneration!
Original post by Trisha10001
Pleasee helpp needed.:frown:

GLOBALISATION AND DEVELOPMENT

What case studies are people using for trade vs aid, sustainable tourism and economic/enviro sustainability ??
We need to use two for each apparently, both contrasting..
Does anyone have any notes they would like to share... pleasee :smile:

Trade/aid I thought were general points and various examples but I suppose trade you could talk about the EU or other trade blocs... I suppose, aid, I'd probably talk about Malawi.
Sustainable tourism: Footsteps in the Gambia and the Aldemar Hotels, Greece

Economic vs enviro sustainability I am confused about for examples. Any ideas?
Original post by Bunny2014
Discuss the potential for sustainability in relation to development issues in one tropical biome that you have studied.

How would you answer this question?? x

Thanks

Split the question into the two parts- development and sustainability. Talk about how we threat the ecosystem and then how we are trying to maintain it for future generations.

I have studied the tropical equatorial rainforest in which development issues will include the increasing population size and therefore the demand for wood for furniture particularly in developed countries and therefore more deforestation. There is also mining, HEP, need to preserve for future medicine etc

Sustainability- development of the Central Amazon Conservation complex with quotas of hunting etc and economic alternative programmes which allows ecotourism to exist. I may then include the success or not of these strategies.
Could someone explain to me the difference between a monsoon, a subtropical anticyclone and a tropical revolving storm. Thanks
Original post by beckytooze146
Split the question into the two parts- development and sustainability. Talk about how we threat the ecosystem and then how we are trying to maintain it for future generations.

I have studied the tropical equatorial rainforest in which development issues will include the increasing population size and therefore the demand for wood for furniture particularly in developed countries and therefore more deforestation. There is also mining, HEP, need to preserve for future medicine etc

Sustainability- development of the Central Amazon Conservation complex with quotas of hunting etc and economic alternative programmes which allows ecotourism to exist. I may then include the success or not of these strategies.

Thank you very much :smile:

Would you include fragile environments- case study such as Jau national park? x
Original post by xhoicakoni
Could someone explain to me the difference between a monsoon, a subtropical anticyclone and a tropical revolving storm. Thanks

As far as I know (others might want to add to this):

A monsoon is a period of heavy rain associated with the inter tropical convergence zone and heating of the land and sea

A subtropical anticyclone is an anticyclone (high pressure area) in a tropical region

For example in India in summer the ITCZ is in the north = heavy rain and a subtropical anticyclone is in the south = dry and this then reverses in the winter.

A TRS is a huge area of low pressure - cyclone/typhoon/hurricane

Hope this helps :smile:
Does anyone have the specimen paper?
Reply 548
I'm really hoping that there's a multiculturalism question for the Conflict 25 marker, they haven't tested it in 5 years so its got to come up some time.. having said that, it makes it rather difficult to do past paper questions. Anyone have any ideas?
whats everyone feeling for world cities 25 markers and Dev&Globalisation?
For world cities, can you use Curitiba Brazil as both your sustainability case study as well as your LEDC waste management caste study?
Discuss how changes in patterns of production have promoted globalisation. 10 marks

The obvious change in patterns of production is the global shift in production from countries like the uk to countries like China.

I've talked about why such a global shift has occurred, but as to how it has promoted globalisation I am a bit less confident.
I've said that it has promoted globalisation because:
Tncs then move to these countries, invest and then exports which creates a direct economic link between western countries and nic's.
Further talked about the improvement in transport links and infrastructure that comes with such investment which allows for better flows of people and goods.

The nature of the question was to discuss so I then talked about the potential problems of such globalisation:
Creates unemployment for source country
Potential poor working conditions for host nation
Increase in the inequality of wealth and a rural/urban discontinuity.

Am I on the right track?
How can I best answer this Q?
(edited 8 years ago)
Volcanic and seismic event are major pieces of evidence towards proving the plate tectonic theory is valid. Discuss. 40 marks

Can someone help me with what to include in this essay?

In the introduction...

Would you talk mainly about Alfred Wegener's plate tectonic theory??

Would you give your point of view?

Thanks x
can someone please explain how we can use the re-development of Mumbai slums as a re-urbanisation LEDC? so, if the question was describe the impacts of re-urbanisation in an LEDC.. what would the pointers be for Mumbai? Thanks a bunch xx
Reply 554
Original post by Trisha10001
Do you need to do contrasting areas for all the urbanisation processes. so two for each process

Can someone pls explain planning and management issues and how u use two case studies ?

Thats what we thought at the beginning but my teacher said one would be okay - but im still unsure - looking in the textbook there arent contrasting for each - so I dont think so.

Havent fully gone over planning and management issues yet - so when i do i'll let you know :smile:
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE LOOK AT MY ESSAY AND TELL ME WHAT IM DOING RIGHT/WRONG MY TEACHER NEVER GETS BACK TO ME AND IT COULD ALL BE WRONG SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

also it would be useful looking at someone elses work :wink: :smile:

Original post by deeferdog
As far as I know (others might want to add to this):

A monsoon is a period of heavy rain associated with the inter tropical convergence zone and heating of the land and sea

A subtropical anticyclone is an anticyclone (high pressure area) in a tropical region

For example in India in summer the ITCZ is in the north = heavy rain and a subtropical anticyclone is in the south = dry and this then reverses in the winter.

A TRS is a huge area of low pressure - cyclone/typhoon/hurricane

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks, so in the question: assess the role of sub tropical anticyclones and the itcz in creating the characteristic features of the climate of one tropical region that you have studied. What would you say about sub tropical anticyclones?
Reply 557
Does anyone know how to answer:

"Explain how energy flows throuh the ecosystem & limk this to trophic levels"

I find it difficult putting energy flows into one paragraph :frown:

If anyone could help, it'd be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by xhoicakoni
Thanks, so in the question: assess the role of sub tropical anticyclones and the itcz in creating the characteristic features of the climate of one tropical region that you have studied. What would you say about sub tropical anticyclones?

have literally just done this question haha :smile: I wrote how in the summer, a subtropical anticyclone was over india in the south (with the itcz in the north) and as its an area of high pressure, it brought dry conditions and therefore no rainfall, then in the winter, it moved to the north (with the itcz in the south) and therefore it brought dry conditions, although due to the Himalayas there would still be relief rainfall :smile:

my essay for this was 29/40, not that high but still an A so if you want any more I'm willing to help :smile:
I'm in year 12, just wanted to ask whether there's a residential field trip in A2 AQA Geography??

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending