The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Also can somebody list all of the equations we need to know for the exam? Thanks :smile:
Original post by cheesytoast
Also can somebody list all of the equations we need to know for the exam? Thanks :smile:

Pulmonary ventilation = ventilation rate x tidal volume
Cardiac output = Stroke volume x heart rate
Magnification = size of image / actual size
Reply 182
If I got 2 b's in my exams (worth 80%) and a d in my coursework (worth 20%) would I still get a b? Thanks :smile:

You might possibly, It depends on how high your scores. I think i got a U in my ISA and i am predicted an A so somehow i need to get full marks in both papers. hahaha :smile:

For Unit 1 you need

Magnification= Image/Actual
Ficks Law= (Surface Area * concentration difference)/diffusion distance
Pulmonary Ventilation= tidal volume * ventilation rate
Cardiac Output= heart rate * stroke volume

I think thats it apart from basic maths like % change on how science works questions :smile:
Main tests:

Reducing Sugars:
Add benedicts reagent to the solution and boil. If a copper oxide precipitate forms then reducing sugars are present.

Non-reducing Sugars:
Add HCl and water to the solution and boil. Hydrochloric acid hydrolyses disaccharides into monosaccharides by adding water to the glycosidic bonds holding them together.
Add Sodium Hydrogen carbonate (Sodium bicarbonate) to neutralise the acidity of the HCl and then carry out the test for reducing sugars.

[Summary] Hydrolyses disaccharides which aren't reducing sugars (apart from lactose) into monosaccharides which are reducing sugars.

Starch:
Add potassium iodide and if a blue/black layer forms then starch is present.

Lipids:
Add ethanol and water. If a white emulsion forms then lipids are present.

Proteins:
Add Biuret reagent (Sodium hydroxide and copper sulphate) to the sample, if a purple colour is present then proteins are present (peptide bonds to be exact).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 185
If I got 2 b's in my exams (worth 80%) and a d in my coursework (worth 20%) would I still get a b? Thanks :smile:

Can you please give the indication of what the ISA grade boundary going to be for this year. Thank you:smile:
Any predictions for the 5 markers at the end? (This is my second time sitting the paper :'( )
Original post by Uberphuq
Any predictions for the 5 markers at the end? (This is my second time sitting the paper :'( )

They're usually to do with either the lungs (COPD stuff) or the heart - CHD stuff
Original post by Xenon1305
They're usually to do with either the lungs (COPD stuff) or the heart - CHD stuff

I know this, I was wondering whether anyone had been through to see what hasn't come up ina while :smile:
Do you have to know about internal and external intercostal muscles? Sometimes i just see 'intercostal muscles' in the mark scheme, referring to just the external ones?
Original post by Kill3er
Do you have to know about internal and external intercostal muscles? Sometimes i just see 'intercostal muscles' in the mark scheme, referring to just the external ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I asked my teacher about this.No you don't,just say intercostal muscles 😃.
Does anyone have a list of all the organelles and their functions because some of them are wrong in the textbook as this isn't said in the Mark schemes

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Does anyone have a list of all the organelles and their functions because some of them are wrong in the textbook as this isn't said in the Mark schemes

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

The ones I've 100% seen in mark schemes:
Mitochondria - aerobic respiration
Golgi body - modification of proteins
Ribosomes - protein synthesis
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I asked my teacher about this.No you don't,just say intercostal muscles .

Original post by Bloom77

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have the cgp guide? There all in thete

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frances98
Do you have the cgp guide? There all in thete

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I do
But they're not what the mark schemes want
It's okay
I'll look through all exam questions to find a proper answer
I kno the generic ones like nucleus and nucleus
RER AND SER I'm not sure about

thanks anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by holly.kay98
For Unit 1 you need

Magnification= Image/Actual
Ficks Law= (Surface Area * concentration difference)/diffusion distance
Pulmonary Ventilation= tidal volume * ventilation rate
Cardiac Output= heart rate * stroke volume

I think thats it apart from basic maths like % change on how science works questions :smile:

Hhow would u apply these concepts to questions?
Original post by edward090
Hhow would u apply these concepts to questions?

I wouldn't, I would only use them if i was asked to do a calculation :smile:
Reply 198
Retaking this unit. Can someone please explain why is amylase produced in the salivary glands aswell as in the pancreatic gland to breakdown starch? Surely it would break down into maltose at the start so what's the need for the extra amylase enzyme produced in the pancreas?
Original post by Ozy96
Retaking this unit. Can someone please explain why is amylase produced in the salivary glands aswell as in the pancreatic gland to breakdown starch? Surely it would break down into maltose at the start so what's the need for the extra amylase enzyme produced in the pancreas?

i remember asking my teacher this at the beginning of the year and if i can recall correctly - salivary amylase acts on more simple carbohydrates and only partially does the whole process of converting it to maltose whereas pancreatic amylase acts on complex carbohydrates and completes the conversion of starch into maltose......

Latest

Trending

Trending