The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Economics Unit 3 (ECON3) 11th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Can you paste the link to his review of Essay 3? (Inequality)

Original post by saint123456789
Econplusdal says for the perfect competition essay it is fine if you mentioned all efficiencies. It is equally fine if you mentioned just allocative. They are both acceptable routes to take
Original post by cbarrasford17
Can you paste the link to his review of Essay 3? (Inequality)

He didn't do a review; I just asked him on twitter, sorry.
On Context 1; when talking about privatisation leading to greater efficiency, what diagram were we meant to use?
Reply 1183
is there a separate page for ECON4 anywhere? What are general predictions?
For section 2 essay 2, the 15 marker, I simply explained the kinked demand theory with diagram, explaining how consumers switching to substitute firms charging lower prices and following of prices changes due to interdependence means that both consumers and other producers affect the price and output of oligopolistic... Anyone know if this would be enough?
Original post by MeghanMcDonagh
For section 2 essay 2, the 15 marker, I simply explained the kinked demand theory with diagram, explaining how consumers switching to substitute firms charging lower prices and following of prices changes due to interdependence means that both consumers and other producers affect the price and output of oligopolistic... Anyone know if this would be enough?

Basically what I done... I'm not sure if it's enough for 15 marks either. I defined 2 things as well and because I was desperate for more marks I started talking a little bit about game theory which will probably give me no marks haha
How did you find the 25 market?? I thought the whole paper was awful!! :frown:
Reply 1187
Original post by Sirelis
Basically what I done... I'm not sure if it's enough for 15 marks either. I defined 2 things as well and because I was desperate for more marks I started talking a little bit about game theory which will probably give me no marks haha

No, game theory would get you a few marks, I saw this near exact question in a past paper, and they gave 'up to 8' marks for discussion on game theory and 2 more marks for the matrix diagram, to show how oligopolies use models to optimise outcomes of pricing strategies.

I also did game theory as well as the kinked demand curve model and explained its elasticitys of demand (eg asymmetric price responses to price changes) etc.

:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Yeah that's what I did, although in attempt to get more marks I also discussed a bit about cartel formation (with the collusive oligopoly diagram). As long as you link back to price and output determination anything mildly relevant will count to something
Original post by Buses
No game theory would get you a few marks, I saw this near exact question in a past paper, and they gave 'up to 8' marks for discussion on game theory and 2 more marks for the matrix diagram, to show how oligopolies use models to optimise outcomes of pricing strategies.

I also did game theory as well as the kinked demand curve model and explained its elasticitys of demand (eg asymmetric price responses to price changes) etc.

:smile:

Oooh nice, thanks for the reassurance :smile: Didn't think about the matrix diagram though! Hope the rest of the paper was good for you :biggrin:
Original post by cbarrasford17
Yeah same mate. I thought the wording was a little bizarre so I explained MRP because they asked for an economic theory. You?

Here's what I did :

Define wage differentials, MPP, MRP, how price effects MRP aswell etc... (Upto 4 marks)

Causes of differences in pay :
Revenue creation, banker vs road sweeper
Productivity and Mrp
Supply of labour
Discrimination
Footballers have agents, bargain for high wages, low skilled only trade unions, low density, less militant, no way near the bargaining power of that of a footballer, hence a lower wage.
Etc....
Etc...
Pretty sure this get me 7+, so overall 15/15

Drew 4 Diagrams :
Shift Mrp to the right(productivity)
Inelastic supply(footballer)
Elastic supply(road sweeper)
Shift Mrp to left (discrimination)
(Upto 4 marks)
(edited 8 years ago)
For context 1 I didn't really refer to the electricity companies like I didn't really talk about context one that much I just quoted the context twice and came up with my own stuff.. is that okay? or won't I get any marks for not talking about the company??
Original post by lg96
is there a separate page for ECON4 anywhere? What are general predictions?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2662113

are there any more useful links and websites?
~Do you get marks if you draw the same diagram twice in the exam? but for different sections?
Original post by bf1996
Hi, long time watched, first time user. I chose to do context 1 and for the 25 marker, I had a rough structure of retaining the private market, nationalising the market and the third point (which I am slightly worried about) was subsiding smaller firms to break up the oligopoly power. Is this a decent structure, even with the third point?

Thanks

the 3rd point should be great about contestable markets. create threat of comp etc,
Any predictions for econ4?
How did you find the 25 market?? I thought the whole paper was awful!! :frown:

Which one, for the context or the essay? Awwh, I'm sure you've done better than you think, try to forget about it and move onto econ 4 :smile:
Where's the ECON4 mega thread? Can't find one
Original post by anonlad
Yeah that's what I did, although in attempt to get more marks I also discussed a bit about cartel formation (with the collusive oligopoly diagram). As long as you link back to price and output determination anything mildly relevant will count to something

Do you know if you get any marks for talking about the different determinants of price i.e cost-plus , price parallelism , price leadership etc ? as well as none price competition ?
Original post by chrishadfield
Where's the ECON4 mega thread? Can't find one

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3154353
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending