The Student Room Group

dsa laptop

Just had my needs assessment today and told I can have a basic laptop (i3 4gb ram), of which I am more than grateful for. However I use a lot of design and simulation software which is really memory and cpu intensive, thus for me a higher spec would be preferred. For this extra power I have to pay the difference which is fair in my opinion as dsa is only there to cover the cost of my disability.

The annoying this is everyone who studies psychology seems to be given mac book pro and not just a basic model but the i7 16gb ram £2k version and for what, running spss? My girlfriend studies psychology too and her windows i5 does the job perfectly running the software. I thought macs where only issued when the software being used can only be used with apple?

Just slight annoyed how they get away with this... Whole system seems a bit unfair as in comparison I'm not asking for much... Has anyone had similar experiances?
Reply 1
Which college/uni is dishing out free macs op?
Reply 2
Yes, Macs are only being agreed to where the course can solely be run on Mac machines. Either the lecturer has mislead SFE into thinking this is the case, or the students have paid to upgrade their machines from the standard recommended machine.

From 15/16 Macs will not even be agreed to where they are solely used on a course.
Reply 3
I got told at my DSA appointment today the requirements were changed like 2 weeks ago: you HAVE to contribute £200 to your computer now whatever. But you can upgrade to higher spec or macs, you just have to contribute more
Do we know what the standard laptop they issue is? Or it is just whatever they can find cheapest at the time
Reply 5
Original post by Thomas9090
Do we know what the standard laptop they issue is? Or it is just whatever they can find cheapest at the time

It's a spec not a make/ model. They refer to them as DSA-WKH15 which is Core i3 2.2GHZ processor with 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Windows 8.1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending