The Student Room Group

Series question, converge/diverge

20150322_173752.jpg

Have no idea what to do. Help?
Original post by Airess3
20150322_173752.jpg

Have no idea what to do. Help?

Note that tan(π4+nπ2) is equal to ±1 according as n is even or odd\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{n \pi}{2}\right)\text{ is equal to }\pm1\text{ according as }n\text{ is even or odd} }
Does this help ?
Original post by brianeverit
Note that tan(π4+nπ2) is equal to ±1 according as n is even or odd\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{n \pi}{2}\right)\text{ is equal to }\pm1\text{ according as }n\text{ is even or odd} }
Does this help ?

So plug in 0 where all the n's are ? n is odd so in the brackets is -1?? But tan Pi/4=1? I'm confused. Do i have to take the limit of the equation?
You know from the post above that tan(π4+nπ2)=(1)n\displaystyle {tan(\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{n\pi}{2})}=(-1)^n that is that the top alternates between ±1\displaystyle \pm 1 depending on whether n\displaystyle n is odd or even. Indeed Brian's post says this.

So you can write the summand as tan(π4+nπ2)1+n=(1)n1+n\displaystyle \frac{tan(\frac {\pi}{4}+\frac{n\pi}{2})}{\sqrt{1+\sqrt{n}}}=\frac {(-1)^n}{\sqrt{1+\sqrt{n}}}

Now this looks to me like a alternating sequence test problem. Are you familiar with this test for convergence and the necessary conditions for it's application? If so then you should be able to spot and prove (or state depending on how rigorous the proof needs to be) that these conditions are met and that this test is applicable then you are done.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest