The Student Room Group

Alevel maths - OCR

Low-key really struggling with maths. i’m in yr 13 and predicted an A but got a C in my last mocks. is there any tips to improve to get a better grade?
Reply 1
Original post by fluffypickles64
Low-key really struggling with maths. i’m in yr 13 and predicted an A but got a C in my last mocks. is there any tips to improve to get a better grade?

The usual ones are making sure you know the topics and practice exam (or similar) questions and if youre doing that you should be ok. Were there any particular topics you had problems with or were the questions generally harder than expected or ...
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by mqb2766

The usual ones are making sure you know the topics and practice exam (or similar) questions and if youre doing that you should be ok. Were there any particular topics you had problems with or were the questions generally harder than expected or ...

icl just like in the exam my brain was like nah. like it was mainly the sequences stuff like it makes sense in lessons then when it comes to exams it just looks like a foreign language
Reply 3
Original post by fluffypickles64
icl just like in the exam my brain was like nah. like it was mainly the sequences stuff like it makes sense in lessons then when it comes to exams it just looks like a foreign language

So arithmetic or geometric sequences/series or recurrence relations or modelling or ... Even if it makes sense in a lesson (or reading a model solution) its easy to overlook things which means you find it difficult in an exam. While theres no silver bullet if your brain goes awol in the exam, if you have a good understanding of what the equations mean and with enough practice you should be ok.

So for arithmetic series, you could make a link with the gauss trick. For the finite and (converging) infinite geometric series you could derive the formula using a simple difference/recurrence relationship ...
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest