The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

When will female singers finally realise they are a disgrace to women?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by akaiii
omg look he used the ALPHA WORD
now it's science everyone
jfc how ignorant

Thank you.

Can't tell you how many time i facepalm when I see people use the word Alpha in this idiotic way.
Reply 41
Original post by TheWaffle
You could also argue that male prostitutes behave in similar ways so men who act in a similar way are a disgrace to men.

err.. no you couldn't, because male prostitutes serve other men, ie: they are homosexuals, the antithesis of the Alpha

Also if being a pimp is alpha and thus good, then the role is still facilitated by women who are prostitutes (aand thus a disgrace according to you).

you're reaching now buddy - whoever said anything about pimps anyway?
Reply 42
Original post by Wade-
I completely agree with you, if a woman wants to get her tits out and get paid then that's her choice. I was asking that question because it seems like when people like Nikki Minaj or Beyoncé strip down then they're 'empowering' but when page 3 models do it they're being objectified

what, you mean there is actually a difference?:rolleyes: lol, do me a favour
Reply 43
Original post by Trill
No just no, first of all there's a far wider range of female singers than just your average Beyoncé, etc who cover up quite a lot. Secondly, gross generalisation? really. Ever heard of freedom of expression? if they wanna walk out nude, don't see what is wrong with that as that's how they want to express themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

freedom to act and dress like a hooker, ok, that's fine, but is just confirms that feminism is a joke
Reply 44
Beyoncé disagrees.

Reply 45
Original post by ModYom
what, you mean there is actually a difference?:rolleyes: lol, do me a favour

My whole point was that you can't claim one group is being empowering by showing off their body but another is being objectified because they are

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
no, that's right, because they are BOTH being objectified, just too dumb too see it!
Reply 47
Original post by ModYom
no, that's right, because they are BOTH being objectified, just too dumb too see it!

They're being objectified by themselves though so where's the issue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are loads of singers who aren't mainstream who don't need to take their clothes off to earn money
You're missing the point of the page 3 argument against this. Page 3 is in a public newspaper which anyone can buy. If people want to get naked and get paid for taking images which hold the purpose of sexual gratification for the viewer, which by the way is totally fine, it should be in a magazine which if for THAT purpose. Putting people on page 3 of what is apparently supposed to be an informative tabloid isn't okay because it normalises the idea that its okay to blindly objectify.
The difference between women who want to be empowering and the models are that the pop singers do it for themselves. They don't just take off someone clothes and say 'Look, I can do what I want look at how amazing I am'. Singers like Beyonce and Katy Perry sing about their empowerment with songs like Pearl and Flawless then further it by making the statement that they are doing what they loves and dressing how they like FOR THEMSELVES. Their purpose isn't to become sexual objects like page 3. Other people objectify them. You refer to these people saying they objectify themselves but why would anybody dehumanise themselves? They don't, other people dehumanise them with objectification.

There is nothing wrong with wearing as much or as little clothing as you like as long as you do it for you. There is also nothing wrong with dressing to impress other people as long as thats what you want for yourself. Same as being a topless model, as long as you do it for yourself, there is nothing wrong with that.
That is the whole point of feminism, right to choose for yourself.
Reply 50
I have to say Gaga, Rihanna, Miley Cyrus are just total S L U T S. They are a disgrace.
Reply 51
Original post by Wade-
They're being objectified by themselves though so where's the issue?

dumbest post of the thread so far...........

like, I only rob houses for myself, no probs right, you know,I'm not doing it for anyone else..:rolleyes:...........duh
Reply 52
Original post by ModYom
dumbest post of the thread so far...........

like, I only rob houses for myself, no probs right, you know,I'm not doing it for anyone else..:rolleyes:...........duh

What a terrible analogy. If you, as an individual, choose to objectify yourself why is it anyone else's concern

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
something to do with the fact that they are all over the TV, internet, magazines etc...
hardly a great role model for young girls
What on earth is sexist and anti-equality about women choosing for themselves how to dress and act?
Reply 55
When the pay checks stop coming in.
Billy Eilish doesn’t dress to be as “sexy” as possible, People like Beyoncé dress that way because 1) The standards of her social class, 2) the standards of her music genre, 3) some brands will pay her to show off a new outfit

Latest

Trending

Trending