The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
Tbh I really wanna get unit 1 done asap so that I can start preparing for the worst week in June

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exams do you have in June? :eek: I only have unit 2 physics, chem and then S1
Original post by C0balt
Tbh I really wanna get unit 1 done asap so that I can start preparing for the worst week in June

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many do you have in June? Kind of depressing I still have 7 exams after tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
How many do you have in June? Kind of depressing I still have 7 exams after tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mate I have like 11
Original post by frozo123
Mate I have like 11

Lol that's because you're doing a2 and most as exams so its not surprising you have a lot lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jshep000
What exams do you have in June? :eek: I only have unit 2 physics, chem and then S1

I've got same and FP1
Well tbh I haven't done much stars since Easter so I have to refamilarise :tongue:
I need to do well in unit 2 physics to compensate for the silliest mistake I made in unit 1
And unit 2 chem is five times harder than unit 1 tbh lol
Then FP1, I'm very cautious about it because June 2014 was a horrendous paper lol. I got 100UMS for the mock but god knows what I will pull off in the actual one
Would someone be able to explain mass spectroscopy to me: I get the process (ionisation, acceleration, and the lot) just not
1. how to analyse the results
2. the uses - eg. I read one question that wanted me to describe how it is used in carbon dating -- I haven't got a clue!! Would someone be able to explain these principles :smile: Thanks.
Lol that's because you're doing a2 and most as exams so its not surprising you have a lot lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbf if I nail M1 and S1 I can chill for maths
And if I nail tomorrow's paper I can chill for chem

Posted from TSR Mobile

6 in June, four worst ones consecutively :/

Oh and forgot to mention M1 and D1 but they are far apart so I am not worried just yet
Original post by C0balt
6 in June, four worst ones consecutively :/

Oh and forgot to mention M1 and D1 but they are far apart so I am not worried just yet

I think the first week back I have chem physics m1 s1 on 4 straight days so that will be interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
I've got same and FP1
Well tbh I haven't done much stars since Easter so I have to refamilarise :tongue:
I need to do well in unit 2 physics to compensate for the silliest mistake I made in unit 1
And unit 2 chem is five times harder than unit 1 tbh lol
Then FP1, I'm very cautious about it because June 2014 was a horrendous paper lol. I got 100UMS for the mock but god knows what I will pull off in the actual one

That's weird I find both unit 2 physics and chemistry easier than the unit 1s LOL. I'm sure you'll do fine in them, just make sure you're as calm as possible!

Original post by gabby07
Would someone be able to explain mass spectroscopy to me: I get the process (ionisation, acceleration, and the lot) just not
2. the uses - eg. I read one question that wanted me to describe how it is used in carbon dating -- I haven't got a clue!! Would someone be able to explain these principles :smile: Thanks.

Carbon dating is a method for working out age of carbon based things. Carbon-14 is radioactive so it decays, living things take in fresh carbon so the amount stays constant. Scientists can use mass spec to measure how much carbon-14 an ancient plank of wood contains. It is also used in the pharmaceutical industry to identify the compounds in possible new drugs.
Not sure if this is all relevant or need to know information, but there you go :tongue:
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

preach it
Original post by gabby07

Basically there's an equilibrium of Carbon 14 between the atmosphere and living organisms
when an organism dies, the concentration of Carbon 14 slowly decreases ( has some big half life )
so the older something is, the less C14 it has, so it can be traced where abouts in the time line the fossil is from.
Other uses, pharmaceutical industry, urine samples to test for illegal substances such as PED's
That's weird I find both unit 2 physics and chemistry easier than the unit 1s LOL. I'm sure you'll do fine in them, just make sure you're as calm as possible!

Carbon dating is a method for working out age of carbon based things. Carbon-14 is radioactive so it decays, living things take in fresh carbon so the amount stays constant. Scientists can use mass spec to measure how much carbon-14 an ancient plank of wood contains. It is also used in the pharmaceutical industry to identify the compounds in possible new drugs.
Not sure if this is all relevant or need to know information, but there you go :tongue:

Thanks very much. So if you can use mass spec to find the abundance of C-14 in a sample, and you use the half life, how is possible to determine the age? I don't see how there is enough information there
Original post by swanny123
Question:
(d) Give the structural formula of the organic product of the reaction of ethene, CH2 CH2, with:

acidified aqueous potassium manganate(VII). whys it: CH2OHCH2OH (formula for potassium manganate??)

bromine water: why is it: CH20HCH2BR (thought bromine water was Br2??)

Bromine WATER: Bromine water is a dilute solution, it contains more water molecules than bromine; the carbocation formed (intermediate) reacts with the water (so an OH group is added)
In summary, because its bromine water not just bromine, an OH and a Br are added.

For the potassium manganate: the potassium manganate oxides the alkene to make a diol (alcohol with two -OH groups)
! remember potassium manganate can be used as a test for alkenes, it turns from purple to colourless in presence of alkenes.
is there an efficient way to do questions like this?
http://gyazo.com/92cc10e24196d62b4df047f75f8a9eda

it's normally just a number grind for me tbh where i go through all the options
Reply 595
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Chemistry/2013/Exam%20materials/6CH01_01_que_20100114.pdf

For q17b) what type of experiment do i draw?

Also how many experiments would we need to be able to draw and label?
I think the first week back I have chem physics m1 s1 on 4 straight days so that will be interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile

FP1 instead of M1 for me. Idk why AQA put M1 so late lol it's Friday of the second week of June

I am better at physics unit 2 but the boundaries suggest that unit 2 is harder as a public opinion lol
Chem unit. 2 is just, I hate the questions in section C where you have to relate to the passage. And too much organic for my liking lmao
Anyone have the link for the 2015 ial paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ST_123
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Chemistry/2013/Exam%20materials/6CH01_01_que_20100114.pdf

For q17b) what type of experiment do i draw?

Also how many experiments would we need to be able to draw and label?

collection over water/using a gas syringe.
Original post by retrobaht
Bromine WATER: Bromine water is a dilute solution, it contains more water molecules than bromine; the carbocation formed (intermediate) reacts with the water (so an OH group is added)
In summary, because its bromine water not just bromine, an OH and a Br are added.

For the potassium manganate: the potassium manganate oxides the alkene to make a diol (alcohol with two -OH groups)
! remember potassium manganate can be used as a test for alkenes, it turns from purple to colourless in presence of alkenes.

Okay thank you very much! However, Im pretty sure ive seen bromine water as HBr? :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending