The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ebssch
can someone briefly outline the procedure of making a salt?

1) mix reagents and heat
2) filter to remove impurities
3) boil to evaporate 2/3 of remaining liquid
4) filter again (for confirmation, is this second filtering done by drying?)
5) pat dry between two pieces of filter paper
IMG_2679.jpg
Original post by TheLegalDealer
Anyone know how to do this Q (ocr salters btw)

2015_05_21_19.58.01.png

Please tell me if the mark scheme concurs with my answer?
https://twitter.com/AlevelExaminer Follow me for comments Cheers guys
I've revised everything but I'm still doing really bad in the past papers! :frown:
Trends in ionic and atomic radii across a period and down a group???? and explanations of why??
Original post by Sadiariya
Trends in ionic and atomic radii across a period and down a group???? and explanations of why??

Ionic radius decreases across a period, as number of protons increase so nuclear charge becomes more positive. Pulls the electrons in closer more therefore gets smaller. Down a group it will increase because you're getting extra electron shells
Original post by jshep000
Ionic radius decreases across a period, as number of protons increase so nuclear charge becomes more positive. Pulls the electrons in closer more therefore gets smaller. Down a group it will increase because you're getting extra electron shells

Remember the increase as you move from +ve to -ve ions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
Remember the increase as you move from +ve to -ve ions

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah my bad! Remember the drops from P and S, N and O, B and E and B, Mg and Al. (for ionisation energy)
(edited 8 years ago)
Chem Unit 1.PNG Some Guidance with this quesiton would be great...
Can anyone help me with these? Do you approach the questions differently:frown:

Consider the reaction below.2NO(g) + O2(g) ĺ 2NO2(g) What is the maximum volume, in dm3, of nitrogen dioxide that could be obtainedin the reaction occurring when 1 dm3 of nitrogen monoxide is mixed with 2 dm3 ofoxygen, under suitable conditions? All measurements are made at the same temperature and pressure.

A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4

Ammonia gas decomposes when heated.2NH3(g) o N2(g) + 3H2(g) In an experiment, a sample of 500 cm3 of ammonia was heated and 20% decomposed. The total volume of gas present at the end of the experiment, in cm3, was A 200 B 400 C 600 D 1000
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lordoftheties

Avagadro's Law suggests that the volume of gases in an equation is proportional to moles. So since there is 50cm3 of hydrogen (2 moles), there should be 50cm3 of water (2 moles)
Original post by Feraligatr
Avagadro's Law suggests that the volume of gases in an equation is proportional to moles. So since there is 50cm3 of hydrogen (2 moles), there should be 50cm3 of water (2 moles)

That makes a lot of sense, but I don't remember coming across 'Avogadro's Law' in my revision, would you mind expanding a bit on what it is more precisely?
That makes a lot of sense, but I don't remember coming across 'Avogadro's Law' in my revision, would you mind expanding a bit on what it is more precisely?

You just need to be aware that according to the law, the volume of gases in a chemical equation is proportional to moles. That's all :smile:
Reply 793

i might be wrong but i think it is B. this is because the molar ratio is 2:1:2. as gases occupy the same volume at the same atm and temp. 2 moles of hydrogen gas would be the same volume as 2 moles of water vapour.
Original post by Feraligatr
You just need to be aware that according to the law, the volume of gases in a chemical equation is proportional to moles. That's all :smile:

Can't you only produce something with the minimum amount of reactant? Eg. there's 25cm3 of one, so surely only 25cm3 of product can form?
Original post by Milo AS
Can't you only produce something with the minimum amount of reactant? Eg. there's 25cm3 of one, so surely only 25cm3 of product can form?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean since even if you did the equation vol/24 you'd be given the same answer and the number of moles is the same for both hydrogen and water :redface:
Original post by emmmms
i might be wrong but i think it is B. this is because the molar ratio is 2:1:2. as gases occupy the same volume at the same atm and temp. 2 moles of hydrogen gas would be the same volume as 2 moles of water vapour.

That's right!
Original post by Milo AS

Okay i'm confused now. I'm not saying you're wrong, i just need help.So you've got 2 mol of hydrogen reacting with 1 mol of oxygen to produce 2 mol of water.surely, the amount of oxygen (25) is the 'limiting factor' if you will? Or am I being thick, given that there are 2 hydrogen atoms for every oxygen atom, which means it balances out.Pretty sure i answered my own question there.
So can someone clarify: the smaller the ion, the more negative the lattice enthalpy and the greater the charge, the more exothermic the lattice enthalpy??

Latest

Trending

Trending