The Student Room Group

Electrical efficiency

Need some help with part c. No idea how to answer it?
Reply 1
I assume from earlier you have the power of the solar cell?

You have: the power of the solar cell, the size of the solar cell, the incident light per m^2,

You want: the efficiency, or useful power outtotal power in×100%\dfrac{\text{useful power out}}{\text{total power in}} \times 100 \%
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lerjj
I assume from earlier you have the power of the solar cell?You have: the power of the solar cell, the size of the solar cell, the incident light per m^2,You want: the efficiency, or power inpower out\dfrac{\text{power in}}{\text{power out}}

I haven't read the question, however, if that's just normal power efficiency you're mistaken, switch it up.
Reply 3
Original post by Phichi
I haven't read the question, however, if that's just normal power efficiency you're mistaken, switch it up.

woops, fixed.
Reply 4
Original post by lerjj
woops, fixed.

\% is the tex command for %
Original post by lerjj
can't get the % sign to work in LaTeX

use \%

percentsign=%percent sign = \%
Reply 6
Original post by uberteknik
use \%

percentsign=%percent sign = \%

would you believe that I tried \percent and \text{%} but not that? The former didn't render and the second was unparseable for some reason...
Reply 7
Original post by lerjj
I assume from earlier you have the power of the solar cell?

You have: the power of the solar cell, the size of the solar cell, the incident light per m^2,

You want: the efficiency, or useful power outtotal power in×100%\dfrac{\text{useful power out}}{\text{total power in}} \times 100 \%

Got it cheers

Do you mind helping me with another thing. I was looking through the spec and didn't understand how to do this?

describe an experiment to obtain the I–Vcharacteristics of a resistor at constanttemperature, filament lamp and light-emittingdiode (LED).

Would be appreciated if you could tell me what the circuits were? Thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Super199
Got it cheers

Do you mind helping me with another thing. I was looking through the spec and didn't understand how to do this?

describe an experiment to obtain the I–Vcharacteristics of a resistor at constanttemperature, filament lamp and light-emittingdiode (LED).

Would be appreciated if you could tell me what the circuits were? Thanks :smile:

For I-V characteristics you just need a simple circuit with
(a)some method of varying the voltage
(b)an ammeter in series with the component
(c)a voltmeter in parallel with the component

I'm not sure whether we're allowed to just say a variable power supply to be honest, or whether we have to use a potential divider to vary the voltage. In the former case it's a really easy set-up, in the latter I'll have to draw a really bad picture on paint...
Reply 9
Original post by lerjj
For I-V characteristics you just need a simple circuit with
(a)some method of varying the voltage
(b)an ammeter in series with the component
(c)a voltmeter in parallel with the component

I'm not sure whether we're allowed to just say a variable power supply to be honest, or whether we have to use a potential divider to vary the voltage. In the former case it's a really easy set-up, in the latter I'll have to draw a really bad picture on paint...

I was thinking it was just that. Care to send me a bad picture from pain :tongue: . Thanks :smile:
Reply 10
I was thinking it was just that. Care to send me a bad picture from pain :tongue: . Thanks :smile:

I think you want this:

but I'm sure someone will tell me if I've drawn that wrong :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by lerjj
I think you want this:

but I'm sure someone will tell me if I've drawn that wrong :colondollar:

Is that a resistor as well. What does the arrow represent?
Reply 12
Is that a resistor as well. What does the arrow represent?

Have some initiative, you've expended 0 brain power so far.
Reply 13
Original post by Phichi

Potentiometer haha?
Reply 14
Original post by Phichi

I'm taking this as confirmation that I drew the potentiometer setup correctly. And in fairness, he/she did actually work out how to do the original question seeing as all I did was list the information given.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by lerjj
I'm taking this as confirmation that I drew the potentiometer setup correctly.

Indeed, better than a variable resistor setup aswell.

Quick Reply

Latest