The Student Room Group

Is Black History actually taught in school?

...apart from the whole Civil Rights Movement/Segregation in the American South or slavery (depends on which country)
Don't get me wrong, these periods of history are really important but it doesn't seem to go beyond that tbh

What about Ibn Battuta's travels to Timbuktu? The Kush Empire? :frown:
Black personalities such as Abram Gannibal or groups such as The African Choir (which was active from 1891 to 1893) surely are interesting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jedanselemyia
..What about Ibn Battuta's travels to Timbuktu? The Kush Empire? :frown:
Black personalities such as Abram Gannibal or groups such as The African Choir (which was active from 1891 to 1893) surely are interesting?

None of the above listed were taught in my school.

In most schools, you can replace 'Black history' with 'Colonial history'. Most don't understand that the two aren't the same.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sir Candour
None of the above listed were taught in my school. In most schools, you can replace 'Black history' with 'Colonial history'. Most don't understand that the two aren't the same.

Really? That's appalling :s-smilie:
I couldn't agree more, black history is more "mentionned" than taught and most people genuinely think there was nothing in Africa before colonialism
I couldn't agree more, black history is more "mentionned" than taught and most people genuinely think there was nothing in Africa before colonialism

I made a mistake in my previous post: the civil rights movement was covered in detail. Everything else you mentioned was omitted. :colondollar:
Original post by Sir Candour
I made a mistake in my previous post: the civil rights movement was covered in detail. Everything else you mentioned was omitted. :colondollar:

Ah I thought so!
It would have been worrying, like "not even the Civil Rights Movement?!" :eek:
bump
Nope; In fact, we didn't learn of a single black historical figure during History GCSE/A Level :eek:
Reply 7
My brother takes A Level History and I believe a whole topic is about Black History
One of his friends came out of a hard lesson saying 'ahh I hate black rights!' - as in reference to the confusing bit they'd just learnt, and little did he know, a black guy as standing right behind him and he stormed out of the corridor :biggrin::tongue:
Reply 8
I doubt African schools teach about the Battle of Hastings. Every country tends to heavily steer the history lessons towards their own country's history.
Reply 9

You could argue the same thing for the Americas.
Reply 10
Original post by Reue
I doubt African schools teach about the Battle of Hastings. Every country tends to heavily steer the history lessons towards their own country's history.

Basically this, unless the class is specifically a world history class.
Its always nice to have variety in history. I'd say its unfair to organise general teaching by race/religion/ethnicity, much rather a more meaningful context like chronology or major events. E.g. Civil rights movement in US; or for the Kingdom of Kush - Ancient Civilization in Africa.
Well shocking and controversial as it may be most schools in most countries teach the history of that country, for the simple reason that you CANNOT teach all of history and so the history you do teach may as well be about where you are if anything because it gives people a greater understanding of the culture they're in.

You could just as easily ask why we don't teach Japanese history, or Norwegian history, or Sri Lankan history.
No black history was taught in my school. Nothing about civil rights movement, apartheid, slavery nothing.

The only exception was one time, we had a teacher cover our lesson, he was the only black teacher in the school, he decided to teach us about slavery. Not long after, he was fired for not teaching students the right stuff :P
Original post by Exon
You could argue the same thing for the Americas.

Definitely. I knew a guy who had been educated in the US and he told us that they never talked about the Native American genocide nor the history of these people :\
Original post by somemightsay888
Nope; In fact, we didn't learn of a single black historical figure during History GCSE/A Level :eek:

That sucks :colonhash:
That sucks :colonhash:

Why would we? Britain is a white country
Original post by limetang
Well shocking and controversial as it may be most schools in most countries teach the history of that country, for the simple reason that you CANNOT teach all of history and so the history you do teach may as well be about where you are if anything because it gives people a greater understanding of the culture they're in.You could just as easily ask why we don't teach Japanese history, or Norwegian history, or Sri Lankan history.

Maybe Black History could be taught through the lense of each country's history?
Russians could study Abram Gannibal
French people could study slavery society in Haïti, Guadeloupe etc
British pupils could definitely learn about Dido Belle or how black people were present in Britain from Roman times
Original post by CottageCheese
Why would we? Britain is a white country

In majority, yes, but you can't say that Britain is a white country (it's not even a country?)
Mixed people are the fastest growing ethnic group in Great Britain. If it was such a white country, that wouldn't be the case
Original post by Treeroy
No black history was taught in my school. Nothing about civil rights movement, apartheid, slavery nothing.The only exception was one time, we had a teacher cover our lesson, he was the only black teacher in the school, he decided to teach us about slavery. Not long after, he was fired for not teaching students the right stuff :P

A little hero :*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending