The Student Room Group

The Defence debate

Since there has been no proper, sustained thread on defence which is a vital part of deciding who should govern us, I thought I'd start one.

http://forces.tv/31265119

So, what do people think?

Me? I'm pro Trident, pro 2% GDP of spending on defence, increased conventional weaponry and increased number of ships, planes and soldiers.

I'm anti NATO, anti USA and would like us to leave the organisation, and I would take no part in EU military forces and the only conflicts I would like to see is those that are legal under the UN direction (within a coalition) and/ or self defence of territory and British civilians.

I will probably vote UKIP on this basis.

Thoughts?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Given that the EU is waging war with Russia over Ukraine, Juncker's plans for an EU Army need more discussion.

Nick Clegg described them as a "dangerous fantasy" in last year's debate with Nigel Farage and Ed Miliband just a couple of weeks ago tried to brush the subject aside by saying "that's not going to happen".

Thank God for UKIP.
Original post by thesabbath
Given that the EU is waging war with Russia over Ukraine, Juncker's plans for an EU Army need more discussion.

Nick Clegg described them as a "dangerous fantasy" in last year's debate with Nigel Farage and Ed Miliband just a couple of weeks ago tried to brush the subject aside by saying "that's not going to happen".

Thank God for UKIP.

The EU army is quite possibly the most ridiculous and unworkable idea I have ever come across. Just think of the amount of translators we will have to employ!

We already have EU battle groups. Russia is becoming aggressive alright, but the EU is fostering that aggression!
(edited 9 years ago)
I totally against Trident.

Spending £100bn on WOMD is abhorrent when 1m are using foods and the NHS needs funding.

I think we should still spend 2% of GDP on defence. Just in a totally different way.
Original post by TheCasual MK2
I totally against Trident.

Spending £100bn on WOMD is abhorrent when 1m are using foods and the NHS needs funding.

I think we should still spend 2% of GDP on defence. Just in a totally different way.

Well that's a bit of a false dichotomy. We can spend money on both Trident and the NHS.

Anyway, Trident is good value for money and cost effective. It prevents any prospect of state on state major conventional warfare. It's far cheaper to deter a conflict, which trident and its predecessors have been doing for the past 60 years, than actually fighting one. Spending 6% of the total defence budget deterring nuclear black mail and large scale conventional war being used as a method of foreign policy by adversaries is rational.

What isn't rational is disarmament when Russian, China, North Korea are not, and other states with questionable integrity (to say the least) and respect for human rights are trying to get them.

Lets just remember that one of the last countries to disarm got invaded last year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Although, I can see where you are coming from and I have to respect your opinion, I would say you are narrowing pur options to the extreme. I agree that spending 2% of GDP on defence is completely reasonable and given the UK's stature in the larger community of nations, it is certainly needed. I do not agree with an EU army. I believe that it is just a cause to show off to the American's and will only cause conflict with other essential organisations such as NATO and the UN. This anti-American thing is understandable though anti-NATO is a huge step in the wrong direction.

I most certainly would not advise you to vote UKIP. Vote anyone else - vote Labour, Tory, Lib Dem, even vote SNP if you have to but stay well away from UKIP.
Original post by PowelliteScum :)
Since there has been no proper, sustained thread on defence which is a vital part of deciding who should govern us, I thought I'd start one.

http://forces.tv/31265119

So, what do people think?

Me? I'm pro Trident, pro 2% GDP of spending on defence, increased conventional weaponry and increased number of ships, planes and soldiers.

I'm anti NATO, anti USA and would like us to leave the organisation, and I would take no part in EU military forces and the only conflicts I would like to see is those that are legal under the UN direction (within a coalition) and/ or self defence of territory and British civilians.

I will probably vote UKIP on this basis.

Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05s4wmy/daily-politics-2015-election-debates-foreign-affairs
Original post by TedRock21
Although, I can see where you are coming from and I have to respect your opinion, I would say you are narrowing pur options to the extreme. I agree that spending 2% of GDP on defence is completely reasonable and given the UK's stature in the larger community of nations, it is certainly needed. I do not agree with an EU army. I believe that it is just a cause to show off to the American's and will only cause conflict with other essential organisations such as NATO and the UN. This anti-American thing is understandable though anti-NATO is a huge step in the wrong direction.

I most certainly would not advise you to vote UKIP. Vote anyone else - vote Labour, Tory, Lib Dem, even vote SNP if you have to but stay well away from UKIP.

I'm not 'anti American', I probably came across the wrong way. I'm anti special relationship. I would like that ended, and a more hybrid and independent outlook where we can operate and project force alone, much like the Falklands. That doesn't mean we won't work with them, it just means we won't be their poodle and we won't be in NATO.

I like Labours policy on a strategic defence review immediately, but only if it done on threat basis, not a resource basis.

None of the parties have credibility either. Not even UKIP, but there is no way im voting Lib Dem as a protest vote.
(edited 9 years ago)

Ill have to look at that in the morning. I've just listened to the RUSI debate, and I can only stand politicians so much in a day.
I'm not 'anti American', I probably came across the wrong way. I'm anti special relationship. I would like that ended, and a more hybrid and independent outlook where we can operate and project force alone, much like the Falklands. That doesn't mean we won't work with them, it just means we won't be their poodle and we won't be in NATO.

I like Labours policy on a strategic defence review immediately, but only if it done on threat basis, not a resource basis.

None of the parties have credibility either. Not even UKIP, but there is no way im voting Lib Dem as a protest vote.

Fair enough.
I support trident and expanding our defense budget quite significantly.
Expand it, I'd like to put it up to 5% if only it was possible
At the moment our defence budget is nothing about defence and all about the ability to wage war. It needs to be cut down to an actual defence force and trident scrapped.
Original post by Farage for PM
Expand it, I'd like to put it up to 5% if only it was possible

I don't think we need to aim for such a number personally but rather ensure we have the 4th best force in the world. I want 3 carriers with 72, F-35C's each, 3 helicopter carriers stocked, 7 more type 45 destroyers, more subs, more drones.
Reply 14
Original post by DaveSmith99
At the moment our defence budget is nothing about defence and all about the ability to wage war. It needs to be cut down to an actual defence force and trident scrapped.

You need to be able to wage a war to defend yourself. If you cut the defence budget any more you might as well rename it the national militia.

You would need to invest so much into defence to be able to form an independent outlook without any backing of NATO. Our military is designed to slot in with other nations, namely the Americans, but also other allies. You would have to form an entirely new military doctrine and make huge procurement choices. Look at highly capable units like the F35 and the new carriers, great at projecting force, but so expensive we can't afford enough ships to form a proper carrier group. Given the way the world is right now we need allies.

You can use the Falklands as an example of independent British power projection, but we came very close to outright failure. If a few things had not gone our way we would have lost that fight. The troops were badly equipped, many of the weapons systems did not work as they should have and at one point we almost shot down a civilian airliner. I'm not sure I'd want to use that as a basis of British power.

Good thread btw.
Reply 15
Original post by DaveSmith99

I wish people understood with live in a world with sunshine and lollypops:wink:
Original post by Aj12
You need to be able to wage a war to defend yourself. If you cut the defence budget any more you might as well rename it the national militia.

Of all our post-WW2 military operations, Suez, Iraq, Afghanistan, Dhofar etc, how many of them have been for the defence of the realm? This isn't defence, these are offensive operations to protect or strenghen our economic or political objectives.

Original post by SeaPony
I wish people understood with live in a world with sunshine and lollypops:wink:

Well we do? We are under pretty much zero risk of a conventional attack. Our threats are terrorism and cyber attack now. We don't need weapons of mass destruction or aircraft carriers to protect ourselves from those.
(edited 9 years ago)
China expanded their military spending by 10% last year, not exactly an ally, and they're increasing their nukes
Reply 18
We still need to have them to be taken seriously in the international community. A disarmed Britain... not good.
Britain main power projection in the Armed forces has always been historically the Royal Navy. I believe that we should invest more into SSNB carrying Trident ICBM and fast attack submarines like the Astute class which can deliver fire power thousands of KM into land with Cruise missiles like the Tomahawk. If we make cuts on vital defence infrastructure like the Submarine force then Britain could sink in an third rate power.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending