The Student Room Group

OCR A-level Law Paper 1 (H418/01) - 26th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

OCR A-level Law Paper 1 (H418/01) - 26th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.
Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 26 May 2023/ AM
Length: 2hr
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wondering if anyone has any help/ advice/ practice scenarios/ predictions or support for people doing OCR law paper 1 on Friday 26th May 2023?
I have found it so hard to find practice papers and questions so am stressing!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
I was lucky in that our teacher essentially compiled loads of scenarios for us into one book, but look at AQA and old OCR spec papers too! We're only the second year of exams in the current OCR H418 spec, but the old spec is basically the same just with more content within it e.g. public nuisance, more evaluations, etc. but you can just ignore those

The scenarios are the same as they cover the same basic content, and it at least gets you practising picking apart questions. I tend to plan questions more than actually writing out full past papers, just practising unpicking the scenarios and I'll quite often do the law itself in bullet points then the actual application to the scenario in more detail.
heyyyy how is everyone feeling about the upcoming exam? share any predictions on what you think will come up below
Personally i think the essay will be either intoxication or NFOAP and the scenarios are anyones game but i feel mental capacity defences might come up as well as loss of control or general defences as they have never been asked as AO2 only as evaluation.
(edited 11 months ago)
hey, yeah I'm hoping NFO for essay question. i feel pretty confident on criminal law, more worried about legal system to be honest. what are your predictions for legal system?
for legal system i think employment tribunals could come up as they have never been asked as well as magistrates, they have asked a lot of questions on the civil courts especially in recent years so thats less likely. Anything on legal professions might come up too as much as i dont want it to lol
Original post by 777anonymous777
hey, yeah I'm hoping NFO for essay question. i feel pretty confident on criminal law, more worried about legal system to be honest. what are your predictions for legal system?
yeah i would be happy if employment tribunal came up. i don't mind legal professions just easy to miss something out though. i feel like advantage and disadvantages of mediation and conciliation may come up for the 12 marker. do you think its possible that separation of powers would come up? could not think of anything worse lol

honestly just jealous of last years paper, they were actually blessed
Just to let you know, I've made this the official thread for this exam. Good luck, everyone! :smile:
yeah i would be happy if employment tribunal came up. i don't mind legal professions just easy to miss something out though. i feel like advantage and disadvantages of mediation and conciliation may come up for the 12 marker. do you think its possible that separation of powers would come up? could not think of anything worse lol

separation of powers might come us yes but if it does im skipping that question and doing the other one. im hoping for advantages and disadvantages of juries as one of the 12 markers but thats wishful thinking maybe the selection process and qualifications of juries might come up.
Yeah last year had such a good paper with theft and robbery, wouldnt have liked the essay though i hate self defence its too long and the householders rules confuse me.
yeah i plan on skipping it too. only problem is that our teacher took our teaching us the legal funding topic, so if one of those comes up and sep of powers literally don't know what to do. but I highly doubt they will put both for 12 markers. yeah I would love disadvantages of juries, but didn't that come up last year? really anything could come up because there are so many topics. reckon paper 2 will be the best just because there is not as many topics. absolutely dreading paper 3 though, we do contract and it is so bad.
yeah i plan on skipping it too. only problem is that our teacher took our teaching us the legal funding topic, so if one of those comes up and sep of powers literally don't know what to do. but I highly doubt they will put both for 12 markers. yeah I would love disadvantages of juries, but didn't that come up last year? really anything could come up because there are so many topics. reckon paper 2 will be the best just because there is not as many topics. absolutely dreading paper 3 though, we do contract and it is so bad.

that would be extremely mean if those were the 12 markers i have a feeling theyre going to go slightly easy on us as we are the first year to do a completely normal exam with no help post covid as last year got told topics to revise. Legal personnel is the worst in paper 1 is just doesnt make sense at all. Paper 2 im feeling alr about hoping for rylands v fletcher to come up as a scenario and the essay to be on Vicarious liability. Ah for paper 3 we do human rights and nature of law which isnt too bad
Original post by ellasanders2626
that would be extremely mean if those were the 12 markers i have a feeling theyre going to go slightly easy on us as we are the first year to do a completely normal exam with no help post covid as last year got told topics to revise. Legal personnel is the worst in paper 1 is just doesnt make sense at all. Paper 2 im feeling alr about hoping for rylands v fletcher to come up as a scenario and the essay to be on Vicarious liability. Ah for paper 3 we do human rights and nature of law which isnt too bad

Yeah there's so many different topics I doubt that they'll give us those two. that would be very harsh. yeah I really like the essay on vicarious liability so hoping that would come up. do you think self-defence definitely won't come up again since it came up last year? because I have not revised it as much as the other essays but surely they won't ask it 2 years in a row
Yeah there's so many different topics I doubt that they'll give us those two. that would be very harsh. yeah I really like the essay on vicarious liability so hoping that would come up. do you think self-defence definitely won't come up again since it came up last year? because I have not revised it as much as the other essays but surely they won't ask it 2 years in a row

Yeah im hoping they dont ask self defence as an essay as ive only revised it as AO2 so im screwed if they do, ive also not revised consent as AO3 as it came up in 2019 so ive just been revising intoxication and NFOAP. theres a good chance there might be a scenario on self defence though
Yeah im hoping they dont ask self defence as an essay as ive only revised it as AO2 so im screwed if they do, ive also not revised consent as AO3 as it came up in 2019 so ive just been revising intoxication and NFOAP. theres a good chance there might be a scenario on self defence though

yeah I don't mind if essay is NFO, intoxication or consent, just not self-defence. really? our teacher told use the self-defence can only come up with murder or NFOs and that they shouldn't come up alone for scenarios, hoping they don't. I really think the scenarios are going to be either insanity, automatism, duress or loss of control which would be really good. I also feel like NFO as scenarios can be a bit confusing and time consuming so hoping that does not come up. do you know what else came up last year i know diminished responsibility, attempted theft, mens red, juries,TEW procedure but not sure what the others were

also, do you only learn about duress by threats? because that's the only one we have been taught in detail
yeah I don't mind if essay is NFO, intoxication or consent, just not self-defence. really? our teacher told use the self-defence can only come up with murder or NFOs and that they shouldn't come up alone for scenarios, hoping they don't. I really think the scenarios are going to be either insanity, automatism, duress or loss of control which would be really good. I also feel like NFO as scenarios can be a bit confusing and time consuming so hoping that does not come up. do you know what else came up last year i know diminished responsibility, attempted theft, mens red, juries,TEW procedure but not sure what the others were

also, do you only learn about duress by threats? because that's the only one we have been taught in detail

self defence came up as a scenario in 2018 but it was a joint scenario with duress by threats so maybe it wont come up on its own, consent can definitley come us a scenario on its own. i havent even revised consent as an essay our teacher didt think it was worth it as it has been asked twice. last year the scenarios were robbery, mens rea, diminished responsibility and attempted theft and the essay was self defence obviously. the legal system questions last year were pre trial precedure of TEW offences, role of superior judges in civil cases, disadvantages of juries and advantages of civil courts.

We did duress by threats in the most detail but we did do duress by circumstances and necessity but theyre shorter.
The topic i would love to come up as a scenario is Murder haha it would be so easy but sadly its very unlikely
Reply 15

Hi guys,
I did OCR Law AS Paper 1 last week and there was a question on employment tribunals so its probably unlikely they will repeat it in the A level paper. Hope that helps! Good luck.
Hi thank you for the help but wouldn't the fact they asked you about employment tribunals make it more likely for them to ask us as well? would any of the criminal law questions overlap too?

Original post by elsiegrp
Hi guys,
I did OCR Law AS Paper 1 last week and there was a question on employment tribunals so its probably unlikely they will repeat it in the A level paper. Hope that helps! Good luck.
self defence came up as a scenario in 2018 but it was a joint scenario with duress by threats so maybe it wont come up on its own, consent can definitley come us a scenario on its own. i havent even revised consent as an essay our teacher didt think it was worth it as it has been asked twice. last year the scenarios were robbery, mens rea, diminished responsibility and attempted theft and the essay was self defence obviously. the legal system questions last year were pre trial precedure of TEW offences, role of superior judges in civil cases, disadvantages of juries and advantages of civil courts.

We did duress by threats in the most detail but we did do duress by circumstances and necessity but theyre shorter.
The topic i would love to come up as a scenario is Murder haha it would be so easy but sadly its very unlikely

I’ve only revised consent for essay and just enough for if it came up for another topic. Our teacher said consent wouldn’t come up on its own oh dear, hope it doesn’t. yeah realistically hoping for a murder and loss of control section, that would be soooo good. yeah i feel like legal system is unpredictable tbh, it could be anything

hmmm in the past it doesn’t look like the AS papers have overlapped with the A-level topics. i really thought employment tribunal would have come up for us
Does anyone have any predictions for the scenario questions? Bc i'm struggling to revise and i really need to narrow it down to what is likely to come up
Original post by elliottalchase
Does anyone have any predictions for the scenario questions? Bc i'm struggling to revise and i really need to narrow it down to what is likely to come up

to be honest there’s so many topics that it could be anything. but i mean last year they asked about robbery, attempted theft, diminished responsibility and mens rea. but it doesn’t mean that they couldn’t ask it again. i feel like it could be insanity, automatism, duress or loss of control. but again really it could be anything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending