The Student Room Group

Guys, what makes you feel British? /Would you accept me as British?

Scroll to see replies

Don't try to lose your accent. That's a part of your identity.
I won't accept you as British if you try to lose your accent (change it to crappy British)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Maradiah
What? how absurd, why would you change who you're to fit in with a group of people that would probably reject even if you did change your "eye colour" or any other part of your face or anatomy.Simply because of the fact that you're seeking their approval, why do that?You know who you're, why do you need a bunch of vikings to make you feel accepted?
Original post by Wilfred Little
14, yeah I'd consider you British. I think really you have to spend some time growing up in that country. I'm in my twenties now and I wouldn't consider myself Spanish if I lived in Spain for five years and gained citizenship. My nan came to the UK in her twenties, loves it, loves the Royals and all that but she definitely isn't British. You seem to love this country and you came here when you were young, I'm assuming you were schooled here too. And I wouldn't change my accent/wouldn't try to look or speak "working class" or try to portray myself as middle class cos I think people should be themselves. There's nothing wrong with being either working or middle class FTR.

but you need to be accepted as British to be British. You can't be British because you claim yourself British or pay taxes or are obsessed by the Beatles.
I agree that I shouldn't try to be someone I am not. But I have the freedom to change into something I fancy. I think British people are good looking and what is wrong with trying to look more British if It is sinply because I want to and not because I'm forcing myself to , in order to be accepted as you said.

same goes for the working class thing. I love the working class culture and fashion and I'd like to show that love. Maybe I feel more comfortable having working class friends. Not by all means because something is wrong with middle class people but simply because I mix in better. No one can be someone he is not. People who try just turture themselves.
Original post by arminb
but you need to be accepted as British to be British. You can't be British because you claim yourself British or pay taxes or are obsessed by the Beatles.
I agree that I shouldn't try to be someone I am not. But I have the freedom to change into something I fancy. I think British people are good looking and what is wrong with trying to look more British if It is sinply because I want to and not because I'm forcing myself to , in order to be accepted as you said.

same goes for the working class thing. I love the working class culture and fashion and I'd like to show that love. Maybe I feel more comfortable having working class friends. Not by all means because something is wrong with middle class people but simply because I mix in better. No one can be someone he is not. People who try just turture themselves.

Well then you must follow everything this says.

Original post by arminb

No, you're forcing yourself to be accepted, and no-one is asking you to be something you're not, you have this delusional mind frame that British are born British, but we were not all British to begin, just because a certain individual is caucasian doesn't make him a certified brit. His ancestors derived in middle Africa, 200,000 years ago. We all started off from one common ancestor.

So why must you feel the need to change any part of your identity to fit into the "so" called "British society"?

Be who you're are, if you feel British then you're British don't let anyone tell you different.

Righty-ho then.
Original post by Gott
Can't rep atm

Why is she not a Brit to you?

You seem rather narrow minded, you do realise that our ancestors started off in Middle Africa not the UK.
Original post by arminb
14 . Why wouldn't you? I want to look as much British as possible. If I could, I'd change my eye colour too.

Clearly you have an inferiority complex and are desperate to look whiter and british. The fact is your of iranian origin and will never be an indigenous Brit. You are a british iranian essentially so instead of wanting to change your eye colour and accent, just go ahead and live your life as being british does not somehow make you superior to someone who isn't.
It all boils down to the question which everyone has a different answer to - what does it mean to be British? If you ask 100 people you'll get 100 different answers. Personally I'd welcome anyone who wants to be British, who would take pride in earning a British passport and who wants to be a productive member of society. Being able to speak the language, being able to queue properly and a love for fish and chips helps too. I resent your anti-monarchy and radical left-wing views, but free speech is another big part of being British and I respect your right to hold those opinions.
Original post by Duncan2012
It all boils down to the question which everyone has a different answer to - what does it mean to be British? If you ask 100 people you'll get 100 different answers. Personally I'd welcome anyone who wants to be British, who would take pride in earning a British passport and who wants to be a productive member of society. Being able to speak the language, being able to queue properly and a love for fish and chips helps too. I resent your anti-monarchy and radical left-wing views, but free speech is another big part of being British and I respect your right to hold those opinions.

OP seems to think it means drinking tea and listening to 60s rock and watching football :colonhash:/:teehee:
Original post by Feline_Nymphet
OP seems to think it means drinking tea and listening to 60s rock and watching football :colonhash:/:teehee:

Exactly, anyone can act British. It's a bit like class or wealth - if you have to act like you've got it, then you don't.
Reply 30
Original post by Duncan2012

Thank you. This is what I was looking for.
I happily accept you, but dont expect the far right types like UKIP to accept you.
Reply 32
Original post by Feline_Nymphet

There was a deeper meaning to that but ylu just didn't dig enough. I want England to win the world cup because I will proud. Because I care about our national football team. Because I felt humiliated when they got kicked out in the first stage just like Iran whose team is a joke compared to England. Unfortunately, football is closely tied to nationalism and I can't help but feel sad.
Same goes to Beatles. I am happy that such a great musician and such an influential man is BRITISH . It makes me feel happy that we got people like him and Roger Waters , Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton who revolutionalised rock n roll.

Not only them, but I feel amazing that 150+ nobel prize winners come from this great nation and I wish there to be more. Can't you get? I am happy or sad because I care. I really care. Now troll me .
I accept you, though I despise the fact that you like Labour.
Reply 34
Original post by Dilmurod Dilmu
I happily accept you, but dont expect the far right types like UKIP to accept you.

That's okay. So long as they're not in the majority. I think maybe if later in life I proved to truly care for Britain then people will see me British.
Original post by arminb
So in a little while I'll qualify to apply as a British citizen and I count seconds for the time to come. But sometimes I still worry that I won't really be British by then. If the law rrecognises you to be British it doesn't necessarily mean that you are. I need the implied consent of the society to call myself British. How do you think I can be accepted as a true Brit?

Some information about me:
I'm muslim
I was born in Iran but I don't have much feelings or connections towards that country
I have an accent which I'm trying so hard to lose
I believe that i know alot about the cultue and the society
also the history
and politcs , of the UK.

hold radical left wing views
love rock n roll and the beatles and the Who and the clash
oppose the monarchy
hate thatcher
love Britain.
felt british a long time ago
support the england team
Support everything british
obsessed by the language
i dream of being elligible to vote
I believe there is no way like the British way
i love the people
i love the buildings
i love everything about this country
i am more than ready to accept the democratic values of the UK and even try to further those values or reinstate them (gender equality and meritocracy)
I try to look and speak working class

if you were born in iran, surely that means that you are a british-iranean if you get your citizenship? that's technically not just "british" but it's something in that general area - if I moved to turkey, I wouldn't consider myself a turk just because I moved there and got the citizenship - my nationality wouldn't be based on my new country but rather where I had been born and raised
also, how is "trying to speak working class" british? *are* you working class? if you're not, don't try, because there's no point
Reply 36
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
I accept you, though I despise the fact that you like Labour.

How did you know?
Reply 37
Original post by zippity.doodah
if you were born in iran, surely that means that you are a british-iranean if you get your citizenship? that's technically not just "british" but it's something in that general area - if I moved to turkey, I wouldn't consider myself a turk just because I moved there and got the citizenship - my nationality wouldn't be based on my new country but rather where I had been born and raised
also, how is "trying to speak working class" british? *are* you working class? if you're not, don't try, because there's no point

But when you swear for cotizenship they tell you Britain is now your home. And you will have the same rights as every other citizen. You can vote, join the army and even become the prime minister. What do you mean by raised? In 5 years i have spent the manority of my life here. I came jere at a young age when my identity was still shaping and I was more prepared to emerge into a new culture and learn or adopt the values. Why shluld I be Iranian when I don't care about Iran, don't miss it, don't feel any need to be there and don't identify with the culture or dont agree with the values it promotes?
Why should birth dictate my nationality? What about nationality in the emotional sense rather than racial or civic?
Original post by arminb
How did you know?

I made an assumption, which may be correct or incorrect. Either way, the fact that you hold 'radical' left wing view is disappointing.

FYI, there are plenty of Conservative party MP's who are from an ethnic minority...
Original post by arminb
Americanising that great institution of ours , the NHS.

You obviously don't know about UKIP's policies then
There's been plenty said about them keeping the NHS well funded, so don't believe the lies that have been spread smearing the good name of UKIP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending