The Student Room Group

Balancing half equations ? (redox)

jhgjhgj
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, they need to be balanced as in the same atoms on either side.

I think this would be SO2 + 2H2O -> SO42- + 4H+ + 2e-
And then CuCl2 + e- -> CuCl + Cl-

Note: The O2- ion rarely exists by itself (it will always react to make an OH- ion) so don't include it in a half equation unless it's an exception.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Writing out the equation in OP: SO2 + 2H2O + 2CuCl2 --> SO42- + 4H+ + 2CuCl + 2Cl-

You shouldn't really be introducing species that aren't in the full equation (like O2-). You can balance the atoms just fine using water to balance the oxygens then protons to balance the hydrogens.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Exon
Writing out the equation in OP: SO2 + 2H2O + 2CuCl2 --> SO42- + 4H+ + 2CuCl + 2Cl-

You shouldn't really be introducing species that aren't in the full equation (like O22). You can balance the atoms just fine using water to balance the oxygens then protons to balance the hydrogens.

Original post by Gaiaphage
Yes, they need to be balanced as in the same atoms on either side.

I think this would be SO2 + 2H2O -> SO42- + 4H+ + 2e-
And then CuCl2 + e- -> CuCl + Cl-

Note: The O2- ion rarely exists by itself (it will always react to make an OH- ion) so don't include it in a half equation unless it's an exception.

Thanks

I was going to balance it with the use of water and H+, but the in the past questions I've done it usually stated whether the reaction is done with the presence of acid. In this case it was never stated so I thought the only way to balance it was to add O-2
Original post by T-GiuR
Thanks

I was going to balance it with the use of water and H+, but the in the past questions I've done it usually stated whether the reaction is done with the presence of acid. In this case it was never stated so I thought the only way to balance it was to add O-2

You're exactly right with not adding H+ unless it says in acidic conditions, but only on the left hand side of the equation. In this case you're adding water (which is in the equation) and making the H+ (which is also in the equation).
Reply 5
Original post by T-GiuR
Thanks

Presence of acid just means you can add H+ to balance. They will usually tell you this when you're supposed to work out the full equation of a reaction between two species.

In this case, they give you the full equation so you don't have to add anything.

Quick Reply

Latest