The Student Room Group

Struggling with time restraints for AS Biology papers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh thats good I thought it would annoy you if we kept rambling on lol btw did my advice help or was it pointless. Im guessing exams are done now as well.

Best of luck, I hope you manage to get the grades or find a pathway. I keep dreading that I might get a B. Especially because A-levels are changing, and my Human Biology A-level will be dropped completely. So i can't resit, at all! So angry with the government for putting me in this position, meaning I'd have to do the whole year again - instead of just being able to resit.

Finished AS exams now - found time constraints difficult for my first Biology paper (had to be told to stop writing quite forcefully - and I'm aware that I dropped a few marks due to lack of time) and okay for the second. Although wished I'd had more to check the paper.

I've only taken on two A-levels this year - due to the fact the college I'm studying at only starts a chemistry A-level this September. Done Maths and Biology this year, which I'll continue with. Hoping for two As - I'm getting them consistently in my mocks; but then I got consistently A* at most GCSE Mocks, and I didn't even manage one in the real-thing. I suffered time constraints at GCSE level too - didn't finish some papers.

I'm going to request extra time in September. I think with the shake-up of A-levels, it might be an inconvenient time to ask now - seems like the head of A-levels doesn't even know what is really happening in regards to the changes. It's driving our college, and all the staff, rather crazy. Although I still can't imagine my wish for extra time being granted - I would say my main problem is perhaps wrist pain (which won't be helped when exams become 3-hours long).

Thanks everyone.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by SaraZara97
these points are actually very useful-thanks!
btw what exam board do you do, 7 mark questions!?!

AQA has 7-mark questions for Human Biology too. I think the highest I may have seen are 8.

There was a 7-mark question about semi-conservative replication this year in Human Biology.
Oh right, makes sense as I don't do human biology aha
Original post by Kefte
AQA has 7-mark questions for Human Biology too. I think the highest I may have seen are 8.

There was a 7-mark question about semi-conservative replication this year in Human Biology.
Reply 23
Original post by Kefte
Best of luck, I hope you manage to get the grades or find a pathway. I keep dreading that I might get a B. Especially because A-levels are changing, and my Human Biology A-level will be dropped completely. So i can't resit, at all! So angry with the government for putting me in this position, meaning I'd have to do the whole year again - instead of just being able to resit.

Finished AS exams now - found time constraints difficult for my first Biology paper (had to be told to stop writing quite forcefully - and I'm aware that I dropped a few marks due to lack of time) and okay for the second. Although wished I'd had more to check the paper.

I've only taken on two A-levels this year - due to the fact the college I'm studying at only starts a chemistry A-level this September. Done Maths and Biology this year, which I'll continue with. Hoping for two As - I'm getting them consistently in my mocks; but then I got consistently A* at most GCSE Mocks, and I didn't even manage one in the real-thing. I suffered time constraints at GCSE level too - didn't finish some papers.

I'm going to request extra time in September. I think with the shake-up of A-levels, it might be an inconvenient time to ask now - seems like the head of A-levels doesn't even know what is really happening in regards to the changes. It's driving our college, and all the staff, rather crazy. Although I still can't imagine my wish for extra time being granted - I would say my main problem is perhaps wrist pain (which won't be helped when exams become 3-hours long).

Thanks everyone.

Thanks, I hope you do well too, and to me, it doesn't seem like you need extra time. I think that you need to work more on your exam technique for your biology papers. by that i mean by trying to write concise answers, without losing too much detail. I say that because it seems like you were fine in terms of time management for your other exam.

I'm also gutted about the A level changes, i reckon it's going to be a lot harder to do exams after a full year. Probably going to be hard keeping on top of work that you do at the start of the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending