The Student Room Group

GYG | Proving them wrong

Hi I'm Emma and I am in S5. I'm studying four Scottish Highers, however I am sadly predicted to fail them all, due to low attendance. However even though my attendance is low, I still try my best. I attend e-sogil study support and revise at home. I've applied to St Andrews (Gateway to Science), Napier (Computer Science & Software Engineering), Abertay (Computer Science with Cybersecurity) and Aberdeen (Computer Science).

Subjects I am doing:
Computer Science (Higher)
Human Biology (Higher)
Psychology (Higher)
English (Higher)
Game Development (Lv5 NPA)
Math (National 5)

I am debating between sending my UCAS application off after prelims to ensure that my predicted grades aren't fails and will be good. During the Christmas Holidays I will try to spend as much time as possible studying, while managing my group.

In my free time I manage a Roblox Group, play Forge of Empires and cuddle with the cat.

Unfortunately I struggle with productivity, so I either do really well or just get bored and go off to do something else. I also have 2 autoimmune diseases, and these impact energy levels, I'm sick all the time, so I miss a lot of school.

However, I know that I'm not working as hard as I could, or anywhere near as hard as I should be. But I will resolve to fix this and show them that I am capable of anything I put my mind to.

Scroll to see replies

hello! i haven't seen a lot of scottish students' gygs on the student room, so it will be interesting to follow yours! good luck with what you have to do ❤️ @Ev4ma and i love your motivational words as well! you got thissss
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2
I have caught up on my English coursework, and I am going to be starting focusing on biology as it is my first prelim. I have 3 past papers due as homework for biology anyway >:C
Reply 3
I've managed to get halfway through a human biology past paper, and halfway through a computing one. I find concentrating while doing a past paper impossible. 😕

However practice makes perfect, I'm going to look at purchasing flashcards (premade) and see if that works better for me
Reply 4
Finished the past paper, I have watched several biology videos & podcasts tonight while tidying up, going to rewatch the esogil ones & take notes later on. I've been really tired & drained lately but my biology prelim is in 6 days, discussed with my guidance teacher about possible ways to raise my predicted grades for my subjects that are in my school's prelim second block.

Going to get my guidance teacher to submit my ucas application right before the deadline.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Ev4ma
Finished the past paper, I have watched several biology videos & podcasts tonight while tidying up, going to rewatch the esogil ones & take notes later on. I've been really tired & drained lately but my biology prelim is in 6 days, discussed with my guidance teacher about possible ways to raise my predicted grades for my subjects that are in my school's prelim second block.

Going to get my guidance teacher to submit my ucas application right before the deadline.

what are you applying for? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by emm4nuella
what are you applying for? :smile:

Computer science, I'm applying to; St Andrews (Gateway to Science) cos i want to do computer science and biology, Napier (Computer Science & Software Engineering), Abertay (Computer Science with Cybersecurity) and Aberdeen (Computer Science).
Original post by Ev4ma
Computer science, I'm applying to; St Andrews (Gateway to Science) cos i want to do computer science and biology, Napier (Computer Science & Software Engineering), Abertay (Computer Science with Cybersecurity) and Aberdeen (Computer Science).

oh wow okay clever girlie :biggrin:
Reply 8
Got semi-good news, past paper got like 68%, I need to work on learning how to do essay questions and including more detail in answers for biology. :biggrin:
Reply 9
2 days until Higher Human Biology prelim, kinda anxious about the prelim, I have to do well in it. I'm going to attend study support at lunchtime tomorrow & after school, hopefully it'll be helpful. I do enjoy biology & find it very interesting, just gotta keep the grind going💪 Will let you guys know what happens after

I've taken a step back from my Roblox group and left my Co-Founder in-charge so that I can prioritise my studies until the 17th. Speaking of which it has became very active and started to flourish 😀 Hopefully the high level of activity will continue
Reply 10
Stayed up late to finish a past paper, actually managed to get it done in a day, whohoo! 🥳
Reply 11
Good news didn't go too bad, worried a little though. Next up is English, then a month later Computing 🙂
Reply 12
English in 7 hours, I'm sorry for my inconsistency with posting <3
Reply 13
I decided to split my days up into scheduled times for each subject as of next Monday (hopefully procrastination doesn't screw me over)

Rules
Every 25 minutes working, will grant me a 5 minute break.
Project time is exclusively for: auahi, slushiezone (my roblox groups), working on a piece of software that I'm designing and hoping to sell, as well as revision. This time can also be used to just chillax.

I cannot work during designated rest times, apart from on Auahi or SlushieZone.
Reply 14
Thinking about doing data science maybe, seems fun... Might mean doing S6 though, as I doubt I've done the right subjects for it.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 15
I was revising yesterday and I realised that I struggle more often than not with names of things, any ideas on how to remember things better?
Reply 16
Woo hoo! Got good news from Aberdeen my predicted grades aren't going to cause me to be rejected, I am so happy!!!!!!!! 🥳 gonna keep the grind going
Original post by Ev4ma
Woo hoo! Got good news from Aberdeen my predicted grades aren't going to cause me to be rejected, I am so happy!!!!!!!! 🥳 gonna keep the grind going

I'm doing CompSci there, they have cancelled/aren't renewing their accreditation from the BCS (no longer industry approved) and their required practical sessions only consist of postgrads who sit and rarely interact with students.. It is even rarer to see a lecturer at these sessions. Additionally, CompSci does not have a dedicated building or any modern facilities, they only use other departments like business in MacRobert.
Reply 18
Hi Emma, I'm not sure what you're asking here? You are still working on your Roblox group?? Whilst trying to get into Uni? When you know you are horribly behind? It sounds like your priorities aren't aligned; if I were you I'd be focusing on my grades 100%.

Furthermore, I'd consider if university is the right move for you. If you struggle with productivity, are you going to cope with the work required to get a degree? Every Uni will have deadlines and targets for you to meet on work and academic submissions. Many of which only allow one or two lapses in the regime.

Best of luck!
Original post by Ev4ma

Congrats!! Love your mindset & your revision timetable looks great btw!
& abt remembering the names of things, you could try Quizlet for more route learning or making flashcards/a song/a mnemonic/a random story for you to remember them better.
I have also seen Anki flashcards recommended several times, tho I don’t use flashcards that often myself.
Hope this helps!
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending