The Student Room Group

Why are assaults at school not arrestable, but assaults between adults are?

Note: referring to schoolchildren above the age of criminal responsibility (10).

It seems odd to me that you can get away with smacking a fellow pupil at school (in most cases), without being arrested for assault, but an adult who does it to a fellow adult in the workplace, for example, will undoubtedly be arrested. The same applies to public order offences and harassment; it's ignored when schoolchildren do it to each other.

Why do we allow this? Is an adult assaulting another adult somehow more worthy of criminal responsibility than a 14 year old assaulting another 14 year old? The same harm occurs, possibly more so given the vulnerability of the 14 year old.
Reply 1
Original post by Lady Comstock
Note: referring to schoolchildren above the age of criminal responsibility (10).

It seems odd to me that you can get away with smacking a fellow pupil at school (in most cases), without being arrested for assault, but an adult who does it to a fellow adult in the workplace, for example, will undoubtedly be arrested. The same applies to public order offences and harassment; it's ignored when schoolchildren do it to each other.

Why do we allow this? Is an adult assaulting another adult somehow more worthy of criminal responsibility than a 14 year old assaulting another 14 year old? The same harm occurs, possibly more so given the vulnerability of the 14 year old.

I'd imagine that it comes down to policy considerations. Judges and prosecutors aren't looking, I would think, to make an example out of squabbles between children that might eventually be ironed out by the education system. Especially as teachers for the most part are becoming (expected to be) more and more capable at handling unruly children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Children aren't real people, of course.

This is why people think it is acceptable to beat your own children and call it discipline.
Reply 3

Because we have to teach them the 'rules of society'; that you will be punished for hurting another person. Most schools operate as a mini-society and have their own rules and consequences.

Children will make mistakes, if two 14 year olds fight in the playground is it more beneficial to have an internal punishment, work with them to address behaviour, involve parents, etc? Or call the police, press charges and ruin their lives? fyi if you are arrested for assault even as a teenager you will NEVER be able to work in any position of responsibility, eg: working with children; also some countries wont allow you a visa to enter such as america, Australia, etc. You can never apply to adopt a child, etc.

Many doors shut for you if you are arrested for a violent offense, schools are there to teach pupils to control their behaviour, not to ruin a child's life before it has even started.......

Btw i am a teacher at a PRU (children who have been kicked out of better places) so i do know what i am talking about here.
If one of them punched you in the classroom would you contact the police?
If not , what if he punched you down the road as you were getting in your car?
Would that make a difference?
Why do you believe a person slapping someone should be automatically thrown in jail?

If everyone were to be put in jail for such things the majority of the world would be locked up...
Reply 6
Original post by Lemon Haze
Why do you believe a person slapping someone should be automatically thrown in jail?

If everyone were to be put in jail for such things the majority of the world would be locked up...

That's so bloody true
It can be its just if the "victims" parents wants to take it to that level.

The same harm? Lol, the worst that happens at school is you get a bruise on your arm, when adults fight people end up with bloody faces. If at school somebody beat me that badly I would have undoubtedly called the police, or rather the school/my parents would.

It seems odd to me that people can get away with physical assault in schools no problem but they arrests people for stupid speech crimes and tweets like using the wrong word for foreigners or shirt lifters according to this years cultural Marxist dictionary of terms.

This is no accident. It's part of an inconsistent enforcement of rules to create a feeling of uncertainty.
(edited 8 years ago)
Because younger teenagers act without thinking of the consequences most of the time.

I guess you could say I 'assaulted' a guy at 14 in school. I don't regret it at all he deserved it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending