The Student Room Group

AS Music Level EDEXCEL: 02/June/2015 (DURATION: 2HOURS)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Predictions:

Section A: Poulenc and Van Morrison
Section B: Stylistic features = Bach, Compare the rhythm and harmony in Shostakovich with Mozart (not focusing on vocal for section B because more to learn haha)
Reply 21
Original post by eddso
Predictions:

Section B: Stylistic features = Bach, Compare the rhythm and harmony in Shostakovich with Mozart (not focusing on vocal for section B because more to learn haha)

You're a star if this is correct! Do you know what marks we'll get for Section C with the cadence? For a start getting a passing note and the correct cadence are marks..
Reply 22
Original post by RoxieRofl
You're a star if this is correct! Do you know what marks we'll get for Section C with the cadence? For a start getting a passing note and the correct cadence are marks..

We get 2 marks per chord; one for an appropriate choice and then another if all the part-writing is correct (there will be 5 chords, so 10 marks up for grabs)

We get an additional mark for each non-harmony note we put in (up to two marks)

The total is 12 marks.
Reply 23
Original post by eddso
Predictions:

How closely are you revising to these predictions? Are you just revising stuff based on this or are you revising everything about each piece?
Reply 24
Original post by jrp123
How closely are you revising to these predictions? Are you just revising stuff based on this or are you revising everything about each piece?

Revising it all because my predictions may be completely wrong!! I'm not, however, focusing too much on the Kinks or Monteverdi as they have both come up in Section A previously and I plan to do instrumental for Section B.
The last time these set works were used the only pieces to not come up were Tupelo Honey and Ohime Se Tanto Amate so I'm banking on one or both of them being a Section B question.
Reply 27
I am counting on getting all of the marks in every other section in this paper I u'd it last year :frown:
will grade boundaries goes down this year ?
because the boundaries in 2010 in obviously lower than other years :

A - 61
B - 54
C - same
D - "
E - "
Original post by RadioBlaBla
The last time these set works were used the only pieces to not come up were Tupelo Honey and Ohime Se Tanto Amate so I'm banking on one or both of them being a Section B question.

I rather hope tupelo honey come out as an listening question!
Original post by misainoue96
will grade boundaries goes down this year ?
because the boundaries in 2010 in obviously lower than other years :

A - 61
B - 54
C - same
D - "
E - "

Hard to tell at the moment, but looking at the grade boundaries over the years, they have increased with 68 to get an A last year (I think). :s-smilie:
I'm going to see what everyone else thinks of it to give a better overview of the boundaries :wink:

Good luck for tomorrow! :biggrin:
I rather hope tupelo honey come out as an listening question!

Same! Even though the sound of 'Compare and Contrast Tupelo Honey and Waterloo sunset sounds nice...' :smile:
I still want Tupelo Honey as the listening though, even though I'll get carried away listening to the song and most probably not write anything down! :tongue:
Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by x1chloe1x
Hard to tell at the moment, but looking at the grade boundaries over the years, they have increased with 68 to get an A last year (I think). :s-smilie:
I'm going to see what everyone else thinks of it to give a better overview of the boundaries :wink:

Good luck for tomorrow! :biggrin:

Yea it was 68 but the pieces are all different to this year though.., maybe it's relatively easier or more straight forward?

How is your revise going ?
I didn't get any chance to practice the SATB questions omg

Section A is still the most scary one (for me )

Good luck to you too! :biggrin:
Original post by eddso
Predictions:

I found that there is not much to talk about rhythm in Shostakovich's :s-smilie:
1. syncopation is uncommon
2. dotted rhythm occurs often
3. rhythmic augmentation

or is that enough ? haha

Bach's better not come out as an listening! it will kills everyone down..
Yea it was 68 but the pieces are all different to this year though.., maybe it's relatively easier or more straight forward?

How is your revise going ?
I didn't get any chance to practice the SATB questions omg

Section A is still the most scary one (for me )

Good luck to you too! :biggrin:

Might have been straight forward, or Edexcel hates us! Still, 68 seems ridiculously high, so I'm hoping that the boundaries are much lower this year. :s-smilie:

Revisions going OK, should've started earlier though; I'm most worried about section B, because I hate essays, and you have to remember all the bar number examples! :angry:
(You get an anthology next year though, which is a good thing I suppose)

Hopefully, Section A will be a nice set though as you find it not nice :wink:
How did everybody find that?:confused:
Pretty good, I found the Bach listening quite difficult, but The Lamb was relatively easy, the essays were a breeze and the first section of the chords and lines was easy too. I'm not so sure on the 4 part harmony, I used VI - Vb, II, IV, I in G minor with a tierce di picardie, but I should've used a V7 instead of the IV I think.
Original post by ohboyimscrewed
Pretty good, I found the Bach listening quite difficult, but The Lamb was relatively easy, the essays were a breeze and the first section of the chords and lines was easy too. I'm not so sure on the 4 part harmony, I used VI - Vb, II, IV, I in G minor with a tierce di picardie, but I should've used a V7 instead of the IV I think.

I think that should be alright... I did a plagal cadence too. As long as it's sensible I don't think they're very fussy about the type of cadence.

I thought it was a bit mean of them to have two minor questions, though.
Original post by ladybec
I think that should be alright... I did a plagal cadence too. As long as it's sensible I don't think they're very fussy about the type of cadence.

I thought it was a bit mean of them to have two minor questions, though.

Initially I did the first part of the chords and line thinking it was in Eb major, but luckily realized it was C minor and changed my answers. I'm hoping grade boundaries will be a little lower.
That was so good! The essay questions in particular. Did both of the questions yesterday as a practise XD

Chorale was expected- g minor imperfect anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending