The Student Room Group

AS Music Level EDEXCEL: 02/June/2015 (DURATION: 2HOURS)

Scroll to see replies

It was a really nice paper! Yes, I did a ii-V
Original post by RadioBlaBla
That was so good! The essay questions in particular. Did both of the questions yesterday as a practise XD

Chorale was expected- g minor imperfect anyone?
Reply 41
That was so good! The essay questions in particular. Did both of the questions yesterday as a practise XD

Did you do instrumental or vocal?

Yup, exactly what I did.
Reply 43
I literally thought that was a beautiful paper!! I managed to answer most of the listening questions before I had even heard the extracts (especially in the Lamb) haha! I started my SATB thing with a I chord as they had written the first part of Ic - V - I just before where we started! Ended with a plagal cadence and a tierce di picarde.
Listening was ok, essays were really good, unseen analysis was really good... bach chorale was AWFUL for me!!!
Listening test and essays were beautiful and so was harmonic analaysis. I think I majorly ****ed up my Bach chorale. I did a iib7-V7-I in G minor with a Tierce de Picardie but as I soon as I left the exam my music teacher said it was imperfect
:frown: . oh well, I'm dropping music next year and I did much better than I expected. Was anyone else tested with really difficult skeleton scores throughout the year and then found these ones much easier??
Reply 46
Original post by theglassonion
Listening test and essays were beautiful and so was harmonic analaysis. I think I majorly ****ed up my Bach chorale. I did a iib7-V7-I in G minor with a Tierce de Picardie but as I soon as I left the exam my music teacher said it was imperfect
:frown: . oh well, I'm dropping music next year and I did much better than I expected. Was anyone else tested with really difficult skeleton scores throughout the year and then found these ones much easier??

Don't worry! The mark scheme literally says give marks for APPROPRIATE chords - there are more than one ways to cadence that chorale and that could still be a perfectly legit progression to include!
Reply 47
I loved the listening questions, I think I got at least twelve on both of them, how did anyone answer the lamb question on how does the music show innocence or something like that (I answered beginning monophonic and narrow range).

The mozart ten mark question was great but I didn't like the 18 mark question, like how are you meant to compare texture and harmony of the two, but it could have been worse.

The chords and lines took me longer than it should have been but pretty straightforward with a really obvious auxiliary note and chords pretty straightforward.

For the SATB, I did a phrygian cadence IVb - V but I inverted one of the preparation chords and ended up having to have a leap of a seventh in the bass part but there were no other problems so I should be okay.
I did an imperfect cadence- only presumed it was an imperfect cadence, because of the soprano line, and the fact that it ended on a D instead of a G showed that it was not perfect.

I don't know.. >->
Reply 49
Original post by matjat
I loved the listening questions, I think I got at least twelve on both of them, how did anyone answer the lamb question on how does the music show innocence or something like that (I answered beginning monophonic and narrow range).

The mozart ten mark question was great but I didn't like the 18 mark question, like how are you meant to compare texture and harmony of the two, but it could have been worse.

The chords and lines took me longer than it should have been but pretty straightforward with a really obvious auxiliary note and chords pretty straightforward.

For the SATB, I did a phrygian cadence IVb - V but I inverted one of the preparation chords and ended up having to have a leap of a seventh in the bass part but there were no other problems so I should be okay.

For the innocence and simplicity I spoke about how there was no time signature and the words were guided by the music, also about how there was no accompaniment, it was marked p and later pp, there was rhythmic augmentation etc etc etc - I wrote loads of points just to make sure I got some marks haha - what you put sounds fine!!

I'm assuming you made a mistake in the comment because you do realise it was comparing texture and MELODY, not harmony?
Original post by eddso
For the innocence and simplicity I spoke about how there was no time signature and the words were guided by the music, also about how there was no accompaniment, it was marked p and later pp, there was rhythmic augmentation etc etc etc - I wrote loads of points just to make sure I got some marks haha - what you put sounds fine!!

I'm assuming you made a mistake in the comment because you do realise it was comparing texture and MELODY, not harmony?

I put how it is based on the one-bar motif and quiet dynamics ._.
Reply 51
Original post by eddso

Yeah I did make a mistake in my post, I did talk about Melody haha.
Surely a perfect cadence would have been acceptable for the Bach Chorale? A ii7b V7 I cadence would work, as the D given last was part of the G minor tonic chord. The C before was the 7th of the dominant, therefore a D in the alto, followed by a passing note C would have resolved nicely on a B natural in the last minim of the alto part, creating a tiers depicardy (as you flatten/sharpen the middle note)??
Original post by Zmbbnbq
Did you do instrumental or vocal?

Vocal- they both looked good but I prefer the vocal pieces and Waterloo Sunset was on the radio on the way to college so I thought it was a good omen XD
Reply 54
I thought that the paper was quite good on the whole although quite a few people I know did a plagal cadence, did anyone else do IIb-V7-I?
Original post by aske97
I thought that the paper was quite good on the whole although quite a few people I know did a plagal cadence, did anyone else do IIb-V7-I?

I know some people who did it and I was about to but the thing is, you couldn't have the 7 in the V7 as a passing note as it was in the soprano. In the end I just did a random IV-V.
Original post by alex_1998
Surely a perfect cadence would have been acceptable for the Bach Chorale? A ii7b V7 I cadence would work, as the D given last was part of the G minor tonic chord. The C before was the 7th of the dominant, therefore a D in the alto, followed by a passing note C would have resolved nicely on a B natural in the last minim of the alto part, creating a tiers depicardy (as you flatten/sharpen the middle note)??

But then surely you would have to double the 7th of the chord?
Original post by sophbunny161
But then surely you would have to double the 7th of the chord?

No? If the 7th of the chord was C there was no need to double it
I'm pretty sure any cadence would work. A majority of people just chose imperfect. A minor key and an imperfect cadence was pretty tough.
Original post by theglassonion

that's exactly what I did and my teacher said that the cadence was V7-1 so I think you're right, don't worry about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anybody else answer the vocal questions in section B about Tupelo Honey and comparing Waterloo Sunset with Ohime se tanto amate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending