The Student Room Group

edexcel p1 exam 20 th may

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Xiuchen
TBH i'm not completely sure how they work it out. But i know it is something where they change the marks so you can compare across exam boards and also people who took it at different times such as last year. So for hard exams 50/60 could become 95% ums, but for easier exams 50/60 it might only be 90 ums Hope it helps :smile:

oh i get it now, thanks soo much :smile:
Original post by ziddy
oh i get it now, thanks soo much :smile:

No problem :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Xiuchen
I just about fitted everything I needed to say in the space provided:smile: Hopefully I got UMS 100% in this test...

Can you explain to me what UMS is and how the grade boundaries convert into the overall mark? BEcause i heard that the UMS marks don't change
oh just saw post above ^
Reply 43
Eurgh that kettle question. I had 1.97x10-3. I showed all the relevant working but when I did p=e/t and rearranged to get t = e/p I must have written 2700W instead of 2.7KW or whatever the number was for power instead so I divided by too much.Do you reckon that is worth 1 or 2 marks?
Original post by Undec
Can you explain to me what UMS is and how the grade boundaries convert into the overall mark? BEcause i heard that the UMS marks don't change
oh just saw post above ^

I explained it earlier, but for UMS grade boundaries are different, if you don't get A* in the raw mark you can still get A* UMS (I THINK!)
Original post by M463
Eurgh that kettle question. I had 1.97x10-3. I showed all the relevant working but when I did p=e/t and rearranged to get t = e/p I must have written 2700W instead of 2.7KW or whatever the number was for power instead so I divided by too much.Do you reckon that is worth 1 or 2 marks?

So for the first part if you used 2700W instead of 2.7KW you should have gotten full marks, for the second part if you wrote the correct equation you definitely get 1 mark, you did 2 parts correctly and just used the wrong value so I'd say they would give you 2, it depends on what the Mark Scheme says.
Reply 46
Original post by Xiuchen
I didn't think it was too bad TBH! I kind of knew what to write, but I'm not sure all the information I wrote was relevant! I thought they were both quite strange 6 markers, but I knew what to write for them, how did you find it?

I handled the first 6 mark question pretty well, but i am not sure about the second one.
Original post by Nathan.W
I handled the first 6 mark question pretty well, but i am not sure about the second one.

Yeah! The second one was kind of strange!
Reply 48
Original post by Xiuchen
Yeah! The second one was kind of strange!

True, I didn't expect a question like that to come up.
Original post by Xiuchen
Hey, don't worry, they are not worth that many marks, and I'm sure many people messed up! The grade boundaries will be low anyways!:smile:

okay thanks

Quick Reply

Latest