The Student Room Group

AQA AS Unit 1 Biology - Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Aerosmith
It sounds as if you'll get an A to me. If you expressed your sentences unambiguously at the time then you'll basically be fine. The examiners do alter mark schemes based on candidates' responses to a particular paper occasionally, so the mark scheme could be more lenient than we expect. See unofficial mark scheme for details on the questions you asked about, page 16 of the thread

Nah I'm not, thinking about Biochem or Biology :smile: are you a potential med then? Where do you plan on going? 😄

Definitely agree with you on that RER question (for protein synthesis), I was caught out - absolutely forgot about the structure of lysosomes. Hopefully, still a strong A.

Biochemistry/biology - where at?
I'm a medicine potential or pure chemistry.
Original post by S.Ahmad
Definitely agree with you on that RER question (for protein synthesis), I was caught out - absolutely forgot about the structure of lysosomes. Hopefully, still a strong A.

Btw i didn't think the lower peaks had anything to do with secondary immune response. It was because each time there was more people vaccinated so there was less potential for the disease to infect more people. This is called herd immunity. That's what I wrote anyway :redface: ?
It sounds as if you'll get an A to me. If you expressed your sentences unambiguously at the time then you'll basically be fine. The examiners do alter mark schemes based on candidates' responses to a particular paper occasionally, so the mark scheme could be more lenient than we expect. See unofficial mark scheme for details on the questions you asked about, page 16 of the thread

Nah I'm not, thinking about Biochem or Biology :smile: are you a potential med then? Where do you plan on going? 😄

Should hopefully do. Hopefully some good ums aswell...
Yeah they'll probs have a few 'accept/oe '

Ah, ok. Makes sense :tongue: nooooooo. Much bloodshed. Great incompetence. Lives lost :colonhash:
Hopefully natural science/chemistry next year or i take a gap year and apply for maths/physics and philosophy :tongue:
Not very certain :colondollar:
I'm planning 3/4 from imperial/Cambridge /manchester/durham/UCL or maybe kings depending on course. Still have yet to look around as well
Where are you hoping to apply? How prepared are you for unit 2?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by S.Ahmad

Oxford, Manchester, Nottingham, Bristol or Bath - I think those will be my 5 choices.

Oh nice, where at?
Original post by BioStudentx
Btw i didn't think the lower peaks had anything to do with secondary immune response. It was because each time there was more people vaccinated so there was less potential for the disease to infect more people. This is called herd immunity. That's what I wrote anyway :redface: ?

I put this aswell. But following questions asked us directly what it was so I'm not sure :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
what do u think the grade boundaries are
Original post by lyricalvibe
Should hopefully do. Hopefully some good ums aswell...
Yeah they'll probs have a few 'accept/oe '

Ah, ok. Makes sense :tongue: nooooooo. Much bloodshed. Great incompetence. Lives lost :colonhash:
Hopefully natural science/chemistry next year or i take a gap year and apply for maths/physics and philosophy :tongue:
Not very certain :colondollar:
I'm planning 3/4 from imperial/Cambridge /manchester/durham/UCL or maybe kings depending on course. Still have yet to look around as well
Where are you hoping to apply? How prepared are you for unit 2?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahah. You need to decide soon though! What do you most enjoy? That's the deciding factor, if you don't enjoy studying something, no matter how talented you are at it, you won't want to pursue it in the long run. I'm hoping to apply to Oxford, Manchester, Bristol, Nottingham and Bath I think :smile:

I've done 4 unit 2 past papers, I still have another 5 left to do. But I wanted to save some until now so I had all the knowledge understood - plus analysing data seems to be coming more naturally now, no one can get it spot on from the start but a bit of practice makes you very analytical and that's great 😊 what about your preparation? What topics do you think may come up this year?
Original post by shwetasethi123
what do u think the grade boundaries are

My reckoning is 42 for an A
Hahah. You need to decide soon though! What do you most enjoy? That's the deciding factor, if you don't enjoy studying something, no matter how talented you are at it, you won't want to pursue it in the long run. I'm hoping to apply to Oxford, Manchester, Bristol, Nottingham and Bath I think :smile:

I've done 4 unit 2 past papers, I still have another 5 left to do. But I wanted to save some until now so I had all the knowledge understood - plus analysing data seems to be coming more naturally now, no one can get it spot on from the start but a bit of practice makes you very analytical and that's great 😊 what about your preparation? What topics do you think may come up this year?

Hahha, i know but the problem is i just enjoy the acquisition of knowledge i don't think my brain really cares what that knowledge is :tongue: I'm leaning towards physics and philosophy as that will probs give me the best mental challenge but still entertain diversity :lol: but I'll have to do some writng subjects first, hence the gap year, but I'll probs apply for at oxford... :colone: main objective now is natsci at cambridge though.
Very solid set of choices!
Oh so you're one of them oxford lot eh? :wink: jk, solid choices! Do you go to a state school?
You seem to be in a good position :smile: ive only done 3 papers as they're soooo long. I don't think I'm familiar enough with unit 2 papers yet to make predictions but I'm hoping for a thinky paper with real science for low grade boundaries but fair questions. I just need an A in bio so i probs won't do many more past papers just memorising wording and things. How do you revise? I've personally found notes on physics and maths solutions really concise. But they lack depth. Are you just doing past papers now? How are your other subjects?
What are your predictions for this year? I'm planning on collating past paper answers to peoples predictions for questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Hahha, i know but the problem is i just enjoy the acquisition of knowledge i don't think my brain really cares what that knowledge is :tongue: I'm leaning towards physics and philosophy as that will probs give me the best mental challenge but still entertain diversity :lol: but I'll have to do some writng subjects first, hence the gap year, but I'll probs apply for at oxford... :colone: main objective now is natsci at cambridge though.
Very solid set of choices!
Oh so you're one of them oxford lot eh? :wink: jk, solid choices! Do you go to a state school?
You seem to be in a good position :smile: ive only done 3 papers as they're soooo long. I don't think I'm familiar enough with unit 2 papers yet to make predictions but I'm hoping for a thinky paper with real science for low grade boundaries but fair questions. I just need an A in bio so i probs won't do many more past papers just memorising wording and things. How do you revise? I've personally found notes on physics and maths solutions really concise. But they lack depth. Are you just doing past papers now? How are your other subjects?
What are your predictions for this year? I'm planning on collating past paper answers to peoples predictions for questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well clearly you're very intelligent hahah. Then again, it goes without saying that a majority of people on the student room are 😅 I agree - I would love a paper that makes you think and actually allows you to show that you understand the science. The last two questions are inevitably going to be data questions as that was outlined in the specification I'm sure. No doubt we need to be on top form to meet the HSW criteria.

I don't go to a state school no, but the school I do go to, whilst being academic, is not the most academic in my area. Not many people go to Oxbridge (it's always at the most 1 or 2 out of a year group of 120-140) but I'm not sure entirely what course I want to pursue yet and besides, Biochem at Ox is meant to be the most difficult degree as I've heard from some students there already...

I'm gonna go on physics and maths solutions. Pretty much in past paper mode but might revise a few other topics more thoroughly to make sure I really know what I'm doing.

As for the other subjects, Chemistry revision is going well, I find it more straightforward in terms of the format because the papers seem to be relatively similar year on year. But the AQA CHEM1 paper was different and interesting this year, I actually quite enjoyed it, even though the examiners' realistically couldn't have made it harder for people even if they tried :') looking forward to CHEM2

S1....needs work 😂 it's not hard but I need to make sure I don't make any calculator errors on the day. That doesn't usually happen as I'm careful with checking as I'm working out the answer but you can never quite be sure.

The only AS I've actually finished is Spanish...😅

Predictions: plants will come up a lot, I doubt bacteria will feature very much. Famous last words hahah, but the EMPA was all to do with bacteria and there were bacteria related questions in the unit 1 paper as we know xD probably a lot on courtship behaviour, DNA hybridisation, immunological comparisons of proteins and biodiversity. Plus some haemoglobin related questions thrown in which are always good
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bethygirl
It's been 38 for an A before, let's all hope that this happens again this year hahahaha, imagine that ey?!

Really? What year did that happen!?
My reckoning is 42 for an A

lol thanxx:smile:
Well clearly you're very intelligent hahah. Then again, it goes without saying that a majority of people on the student room are 😅 I agree - I would love a paper that makes you think and actually allows you to show that you understand the science. The last two questions are inevitably going to be data questions as that was outlined in the specification I'm sure. No doubt we need to be on top form to meet the HSW criteria.

I don't go to a state school no, but the school I do go to, whilst being academic, is not the most academic in my area. Not many people go to Oxbridge (it's always at the most 1 or 2 out of a year group of 120-140) but I'm not sure entirely what course I want to pursue yet and besides, Biochem at Ox is meant to be the most difficult degree as I've heard from some students there already...

I'm gonna go on physics and maths solutions. Pretty much in past paper mode but might revise a few other topics more thoroughly to make sure I really know what I'm doing.

As for the other subjects, Chemistry revision is going well, I find it more straightforward in terms of the format because the papers seem to be relatively similar year on year. But the AQA CHEM1 paper was different and interesting this year, I actually quite enjoyed it, even though the examiners' realistically couldn't have made it harder for people even if they tried :') looking forward to CHEM2

S1....needs work 😂 it's not hard but I need to make sure I don't make any calculator errors on the day. That doesn't usually happen as I'm careful with checking as I'm working out the answer but you can never quite be sure.

The only AS I've actually finished is Spanish...😅

Predictions: plants will come up a lot, I doubt bacteria will feature very much. Famous last words hahah, but the EMPA was all to do with bacteria and there were bacteria related questions in the unit 1 paper as we know xD probably a lot on courtship behaviour, DNA hybridisation, immunological comparisons of proteins and biodiversity. Plus some haemoglobin related questions thrown in which are always good

Hah, no more so than the average bro,just well accustomed to learning :wink: soo true, the amount of geniuses on here is astounding. We've both probs talked to a future noble prize winner ( maybe it's you :ninja:) :lol:
AqA are bad at that stuff, but i have faith in them :moon: yeah, i feel i can get most marks with those so they should be fun. I feel theirs a limit to how creative a HSW question can be+ i don't think there will be many

I need to finish the unit 2 content but i really enjoy chemistry. Do you find papers seem to be getting more interesting year on year?

I'm doing S1 and D1 all night 😅 should be fun :/ but yeah s1 should be straight forward, what exam board are you? I'm not quite as careful as you :colondollar: and it's lost me a few marks already. I have a habit of speeding through the paper then just chilling -_-I'm aiming to be a perfectionist from now on though.

Lucky! I've still got physics and 3 maths modules in the works. Alongside bio and chemistry. I don't plan much sleep for this week off...

Ah ok. My school has a similar success rate but has a lot more students. How do you find being one of very few attempting ( and probs gonna be succeeding) in getting into oxbridge?

Solid predictions. If that was the paper content I'd be ok actually. Plus low grade boundaries makee me soooo happy :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AshcaanH
Really? What year did that happen!?

January 2010 so a while ago but it did happen so there's nothing to say it can't happen again!!
Hah, no more so than the average bro,just well accustomed to learning :wink: soo true, the amount of geniuses on here is astounding. We've both probs talked to a future noble prize winner ( maybe it's you :ninja:) :lol:
AqA are bad at that stuff, but i have faith in them :moon: yeah, i feel i can get most marks with those so they should be fun. I feel theirs a limit to how creative a HSW question can be+ i don't think there will be many

I need to finish the unit 2 content but i really enjoy chemistry. Do you find papers seem to be getting more interesting year on year?

I'm doing S1 and D1 all night 😅 should be fun :/ but yeah s1 should be straight forward, what exam board are you? I'm not quite as careful as you :colondollar: and it's lost me a few marks already. I have a habit of speeding through the paper then just chilling -_-I'm aiming to be a perfectionist from now on though.

Lucky! I've still got physics and 3 maths modules in the works. Alongside bio and chemistry. I don't plan much sleep for this week off...

Ah ok. My school has a similar success rate but has a lot more students. How do you find being one of very few attempting ( and probs gonna be succeeding) in getting into oxbridge?

Solid predictions. If that was the paper content I'd be ok actually. Plus low grade boundaries makee me soooo happy :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'd love to go to Oxford but even then, I don't know if it's actually right for me :') I think some of the questions on the Chem papers barely change which is actually quite nice. But you know AQA are stepping up when they ask the whole of section B in unit 1 on sodium azide and sodium amide xD( chemistry of airbags calculations, interesting application of amount of substance). I thought you said you did OCR though so guess this won't apply :tongue:

Edexcel for Maths - I know what you mean. But some of my errors I wouldn't have corrected in the exam time constraint, on the C2 exam, there was one question that stumped nearly all of my school and I made some progress through it but ended up with some horrendous cubic that wouldn't factorise...

If I'm honest I'd be happy just to get an interview at Oxford. If I don't get in it wouldn't really make me feel that bad, because it's so hard when you get there! I love a challenge but it seems to be driving even the most intelligent up the wall a bit lol.

I'm hoping for a hard paper with low boundaries too. It's much better that way imo
Reply 395
Oxford, Manchester, Nottingham, Bristol or Bath - I think those will be my 5 choices.

Oh nice, where at?

Ahh nice, I was thinking of Nottingham but I don't think I'd survive in the environment.

I'm thinking: Queen Mary's London, Durham, King's College, and Birmingham or Manchester
Original post by S.Ahmad
Ahh nice, I was thinking of Nottingham but I don't think I'd survive in the environment.

I'm thinking: Queen Mary's London, Durham, King's College, and Birmingham or Manchester

What is it about Nottingham that makes you think that?
Reply 397
What is it about Nottingham that makes you think that?

Like an insane crime rate
Original post by S.Ahmad

I'm from a low class area in Nottingham. Big up Nottingham and all my bredrens.
Original post by S.Ahmad

loool Nottingham doesn't have an insane crime rate. Compare that to London and think about going to somewhere like Imperial like you said...you're actually more likely to come across crime there...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending