The Student Room Group

Chemistry Unit 1 (IAL) May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
What did you guys write for the differences in IE for Aluminium and for silicon? Just losing one electron to acquire a stable full e. config, for aluminium and for the next, a half-filled e. conf. which is more stable right? :O
Original post by AvWOW
What did you guys write for the differences in IE for Aluminium and for silicon? Just losing one electron to acquire a stable full e. config, for aluminium and for the next, a half-filled e. conf. which is more stable right? :O

I also wrote that the 3p electron is shielded by inner 3s electrons (aluminium)
Reply 162
Original post by ainura.km
I also wrote that the 3p electron is shielded by inner 3s electrons (aluminium)

but both the elements they mentioned had the same amount of shielding. so they affected the same way... they were elements across the period. I gave the spdf e. config. in addition. do you think that's eonugh for 4 marks?
Original post by AvWOW
but both the elements they mentioned had the same amount of shielding. so they affected the same way... they were elements across the period. I gave the spdf e. config. in addition. do you think that's eonugh for 4 marks?

Yeah there is some degree of shielding by inner electrons(even though both elements enter the same shell), you could also talk about high energy level(3p) in aluminum. In the question about sulfur and phosphorus you could say that sulfur's outer electron is being paired up with another electron in the same 3px orbital, thus there is a slight repulsion between the two negatively charged electrons.(first i.e. hence is lower)
To be completely honest I don't know, but your statements were right (about the stability etc) Let's hope for the best :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 164
Yeah there is some degree of shielding by inner electrons(even though both elements enter the same shell), you could also talk about high energy level(3p) in aluminum. In the question about sulfur and phosphorus you could say that sulfur's outer electron is being paired up with another electron in the same 3px orbital, thus there is a slight repulsion between the two negatively charged electrons.(first i.e. hence is lower)
To be completely honest I don't know, but your statements were right (about the stability etc) Let's hope for the best :smile:

once again, sulfur and phosphorus were 3p4 and 3p5... so they both had repulsion....
I didn't write those statements because I was so skeptic :frown: maybe I thought too much and your answer is the prefered one. haha yess fingers crossed! good luck for unit 2!
Original post by AvWOW
once again, sulfur and phosphorus were 3p4 and 3p5... so they both had repulsion....
I didn't write those statements because I was so skeptic :frown: maybe I thought too much and your answer is the prefered one. haha yess fingers crossed! good luck for unit 2!

Phosphorus is 3p3 and Sulfur is 3p4:smile: there is an extra repulsion because the 4th 3p electron in sulfur is starting to doubly fill the first 3p orbital..hope now it makes sense:colondollar:
Good luck for unit 2 as well! We can do it:h: Praying that the paper will be easy and with the low grade boundaries :smile:
Reply 166
Phosphorus is 3p3 and Sulfur is 3p4:smile: there is an extra repulsion because the 4th 3p electron in sulfur is starting to doubly fill the first 3p orbital..hope now it makes sense:colondollar:
Good luck for unit 2 as well! We can do it:h: Praying that the paper will be easy and with the low grade boundaries :smile:

AHHH I wrote them wrong! :'( oh well... that's in total 7 marks lost :P
Yup I normally score better for unit 2. wbu? yeah hope the same :O
Can anyone upload an unofficial mark scheme for the paper? Pleaseee!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AvWOW
AHHH I wrote them wrong! :'( oh well... that's in total 7 marks lost :P
Yup I normally score better for unit 2. wbu? yeah hope the same :O

7?:O I believe the question was overall 4 marks!:redface: Don't worry they will give you the marks cause your main statements were right. It's always better thank you think it is:smile:
aghh..unit 2…i find it okay but don't like the fact that you need to memorise a lot of stuff (reactions with halogens, purification of halogenoalkanes and etc :'c) How are you preparing for unit 2?
Reply 169
7?:O I believe the question was overall 4 marks!:redface: Don't worry they will give you the marks cause your main statements were right. It's always better thank you think it is:smile:
aghh..unit 2…i find it okay but don't like the fact that you need to memorise a lot of stuff (reactions with halogens, purification of halogenoalkanes and etc :'c) How are you preparing for unit 2?

7 from the entire paper approximately :P I'm a visual learner so I sort of remember from the practicals we did in school...
I'll be going through the notes I have and the textbook... and then sort of skim through the past papers. I have done all of them I think c: (such a nerd)
It helps to know what sort of learner you are. Then memorising is not really an issue
Original post by AvWOW
7 from the entire paper approximately :P I'm a visual learner so I sort of remember from the practicals we did in school...
I'll be going through the notes I have and the textbook... and then sort of skim through the past papers. I have done all of them I think c: (such a nerd)
It helps to know what sort of learner you are. Then memorising is not really an issue

oh i see:smile: Doing the past papers will definitely benefit you:wink:
Good luck with your other exams !
Reply 171
oh i see:smile: Doing the past papers will definitely benefit you:wink:
Good luck with your other exams !

Good luck for you too! :smile:
Reply 172
Original post by AvWOW
yup you have to. They gave it for 1/2Cl2

Why two my friend? Isn't it 3/2 ? To make it a two
Because they gave us the enthalpy for 1/2 and we need to make it two so 3/2xthe value
Reply 173
Original post by Polpi
Why two my friend? Isn't it 3/2 ? To make it a two
Because they gave us the enthalpy for 1/2 and we need to make it two so 3/2xthe value

1/2 Cl2 --> Cl
(1/2) x2 Cl2 --> 2Cl
so it's x2
Reply 174
Original post by AvWOW
1/2 Cl2 --> Cl
(1/2) x2 Cl2 --> 2Cl
so it's x2

Oh snap Im so dumb,how many marks was that question?
And how many will I loose ?
Reply 176
Cant help
Can we please get an unofficial mark scheme?
And How's everyone revising for unit 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 178

I'll loose two marks or thAts what the question was out of
Reply 179
Original post by Polpi
Oh snap Im so dumb,how many marks was that question?
And how many will I loose ?

I think it was out of four? If everytihng else is right, you'll lose one mark for not multiplying and one mark for the wrong answer... Don't worry they're very lenient :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest