The Student Room Group

How does diversity benefit a 1st world society?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imy16
I think Western/'1st World Societies' are often quite selfish in the sense that in the past they were willing to conquer, colonise, steal valuable natural resources and leave other countries in a terrible state... but now that people from other cultures want to immigrate to benefit from it, like the Western ppl have for decades, they're seen as scum and told to go back to the country which is falling apart because nobody wants to share their wealth or attempt to rebuild the country. Ik this doesn't really answer your question but 1st world societies shouldn't reeeally have a right to shun people from countries which they've robbed.

Why does a 1st world society have to bear the burden of their instability? Why do you assume that Western countries are still stealing from these native countries? In the 1600 years of documented history before colonialism, how could these communities and nations not manage to find their own resources to trade? It's not like Europeans are descended from some space-faring race of aliens and because of their racial makeup they're 2000 years more advanced in terms of civilisation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bassbabe
I just don't like the way they force their beliefs on others. The benefits of diversity is overhyped. there's not many.

Who? Christians?
It doesn't benefit us having loads of uneducated people here
Original post by Guy Secretan
It doesn't benefit us having loads of uneducated people here

Why do you assume somebody is stupid when they have a different opinion to you on the internet?
Reply 84
We have diversity and we have multiculturalism? WHY DO WE NEED MORE? We have more than enough.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Who? Christians?

I've notice it's mainly muslims ngl
Original post by bassbabe
I've notice it's mainly muslims ngl

I'm from Birmingham too, they're all the same.
Source for proportion of 90% white ethnic diversity in the UK (yes, I know it's only 87%):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_the_United_Kingdom#Ethnic_Groups_-_2011_Census_data

Picture showing the distribution of ethnicities in 2011

ethnics.png

For anyone who thinks that wikipedia is magically biased or controlled by the illuminati there are citations for the census at the bottom of the page :wink:
Original post by LaughingBro
All immigrant should return to their country of ethnicity! End of!

Like..immediately or...after they attain a college degree?
Original post by napkinsquirrel
Why do you assume somebody is stupid when they have a different opinion to you on the internet?

no I didn't assume yo were stupid i was naking a valid point. These children will maybe become well educated and that's fine but older immigrants from pakistan etc will not benefit us they will just add to unemployment
Positive benefits of immigration:

- availability of tasty and exotic foods from all over the world and a corner shop open late to buy them from
- possibility of making friends with a friendly immigrant from a different culture

Negative benefits of Immigration:

- They take up valuable jobs which are much needed
- A drain on the social security system, we have more than enough people with nothing here who are barely getting by, dont need more
-an increase in crime. It is a fact that immigrants commit more crime
-Loss of our cultural identity
-a real risk of Britain being overrun and becoming an islamic state. Muslims have many more children than the British and if the immigration floodgates are not closed in the not so distant future we may find the Christians being the minority and the muslims the majority. Soon after Sharia law and its off with our heads if we dont convert or pay a jizya(tax) .Our women will be forced to wear veils & would get stoned to death if they have an average night out!
Original post by zebedee23
Positive benefits of immigration:

- availability of tasty and exotic foods from all over the world and a corner shop open late to buy them from
- possibility of making friends with a friendly immigrant from a different culture

Negative benefits of Immigration:

- They take up valuable jobs which are much needed
- A drain on the social security system, we have more than enough people with nothing here who are barely getting by, dont need more
-an increase in crime. It is a fact that immigrants commit more crime
-Loss of our cultural identity
-a real risk of Britain being overrun and becoming an islamic state. Muslims have many more children than the British and if the immigration floodgates are not closed in the not so distant future we may find the Christians being the minority and the muslims the majority. Soon after Sharia law and its off with our heads if we dont convert or pay a jizya(tax) .Our women will be forced to wear veils & would get stoned to death if they have an average night out!

so there are no benefits. Funny how the only benefit people bang on about is food?
Diversity is like seasoning on the dinner. If done well it can enhance the dish.

But, with modern Britain, diversity is so out of control its like pouring a whole cup of salt on the dish. Whatever unique flavour existed before, is now overwhelmed.

Imagine a country like Japan with its unique culture suddenly opening up its borders to the hordes from the rest of the world? How long do people think that unique culture would last?

Its shame what has happened here. I respect this British country which gave my family and friends refuge from Marxist tyranny. Unfortunately many other minorities don't feel the same way, and they want to impose their backwards third world ideologies on everyone else. You would think they would be glad to see the back of them, but apparently not.

I would say to other minorities, if you live in Britain and think its a nice country to live in, then why exactly would you want to foul your own nest by supporting massive immigration from the poorest regions of the world? The lifeboat can only take in so many before everyone sinks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by napkinsquirrel
How does diversity benefit a 1st world society?

The Roman Empire hugely benefited from diversity; the influx of slaves brought in new ideas, an infusion of fresh DNA, a different outlook and approach.

A truly great metropolis always attracts people from everywhere in the world; a truly great metropolis is not insular, but is open to the world, to trade, to free movement, and so on. That's why London and New York are the greatest cities in the world, by a very long distance

Equally, out universities like Oxford and Cambridge thrive on bringing in new people, fresh ideas, from all across the world.

There is a very important caveat here; this applies to middle-class and upper-middle class immigrants, those who are educated OR who are open-minded and willing to integrate.

We get absolutely no benefit from communities moving here simply to ghettoise, or who bring very little to the table (i.e. if they are from the most backward, feudal areas of rural Pakistan, have no money, no education and nothing except religious extremism, then they bring nothing to the match)
Original post by capitalismstinks

I would say to other minorities, if you live in Britain and think its a nice country to live in, then why exactly would you want to foul your own nest by supporting massive immigration from the poorest regions of the world? The lifeboat can only take in so any before everyone sinks.

What is interesting about the Australian points system is that they do allow in quite a lot of people, but these people tend to be middle-class, business-owners, educated etc.

A lof of migrants went from Lebanon and Vietnam to Australia in to escape the civil wars or the communists. They tended to be people with a lot of gumption, who had owned businesses, who wanted to work hard and integrate well. You tend to have quite high levels of intermarriage.

Compare that to the immigrants Britain accepted; not the well educated middle classes, but hundreds of thousands of peasants from the most backward areas of rural Pakistan, people for whom they only thing they had was superstition and religious extremism. They then ghettoised, and now we have people in Luton marching around chanting "Death to the Met police" and waving the black flag of Al-Qaeda.

This is just mad.
Original post by TheBlackWatch
The Roman Empire hugely benefited from diversity; the influx of slaves brought in new ideas, an infusion of fresh DNA, a different outlook and approach.

A truly great metropolis always attracts people from everywhere in the world; a truly great metropolis is not insular, but is open to the world, to trade, to free movement, and so on. That's why London and New York are the greatest cities in the world, by a very long distance

Equally, out universities like Oxford and Cambridge thrive on bringing in new people, fresh ideas, from all across the world.

There is a very important caveat here; this applies to middle-class and upper-middle class immigrants, those who are educated OR who are open-minded and willing to integrate.

We get absolutely no benefit from communities moving here simply to ghettoise, or who bring very little to the table (i.e. if they are from the most backward, feudal areas of rural Pakistan, have no money, no education and nothing except religious extremism, then they bring nothing to the match)

Different viewpoints and ideas? That sounds like a load of tosh to me.
Original post by BrightBlueLight

So you think in Britain we have all the intellectual expertise and ideas we'll ever need, we are not advantaged in any way to bring students and academics, businesspeople and tourists, from overseas?

You think that we should just close off the borders, that there is no art, no science, no ideas, of any worth, from foreign countries?
so there are no benefits. Funny how the only benefit people bang on about is food?

Apparently you're only allowed to have curry, jerk chicken and lasagne if you also have 500,000 Poles, Romanian ATM scammers and some Jihadis.

Because in your small, racist mind you assume that freedom, universal suffrage and secularism are the automatically correct.

If you do not consider other ideas such as Wahabism, the throwing of children's torsos into the Thames by witch doctors (a la the Victoria Climbie case) or honour killings, then how are we to grow our minds and our society? How I ask you?!
Original post by KimKallstrom
Because in your small, racist mind you assume that freedom, universal suffrage and secularism are the automatically correct.

If you do not consider other ideas such as Wahabism, the throwing of children's torsos into the Thames by witch doctors (a la the Victoria Climbie case) or honour killings, then how are we to grow our minds and our society? How I ask you?!

I am ashamed that I considered my own native culture before third world immigrant culture. i am ashamed that I am not prepared to sacrifice my future childrens heritage and native society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending