The Student Room Group

a controversial topic: what's wrong in choosing to become a housewife

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moneus
so you're man can wear high heels + lipstick+ and a wig. and you'll have no problem with it. extremely tolerant.
Yes actually...I would. :s-smilie: Humans created those things anyway, men nor women NATURALLY have high heels, lipstick or particular hairstyles. They are CHOSEN.
Reply 81
There's nothing wrong with it so long as your partner is okay with being the sole earner

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moneus
so you're man can wear high heels + lipstick+ and a wig. and you'll have no problem with it. extremely tolerant.

I really don't think that's controversial lol. Men and women (and otherwise) are free to wear high heels, lipstick and wigs if they choose. There is nothing wrong with that.
Reply 83
There is nothing wrong with choosing to be a housewife. However, there is something wrong with saying that someone else is obligated to give you complete financial support so that you can be a housewife.

It is only O.K to be a housewife if the husband is O.K with earning all of the money without assistance.

By the way, the same applies for househusbands as well (rare as they may be).
Nothing wrong with being a housewife. What is wrong, is saying it's a job when it's not.
Im a feminist; and there is absolutely no problem with choosing to be a housewife. As long as its the person's own choice, then that is all that matters.
Feminists believe that the genders are equal; that doesnt mean that women /have/ to go out to work, but its the idea that they have the opportunity to if they wish. Equally, men dont have to go to work either, they should also have the opportunity to choose. To be honest, i feel like men have a lot of critisism for being staying at home, which i feel is bad :/
Reply 86
Barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen in the only way women should be.
Original post by Shellshocker93
I see nothing wrong with it. But are we talking about the traditional Housewife, who looks after the children and the estate, cleans the house and cooks the Lunch and Dinner for when the husband comes home in his Armani Suit with a £75k annual income and kids from this Private Schools

Or are we talking the one that sits on her ass all day, watching Loose Women, eating crisps getting fat, husband gets home from his £25k a year job and she yells at him on why he has trashed the house she hasn't cleaned since the Council gave them it and the kid is in the back yard eating bugs, having missed school again?

25k a year job and council house? come on 27k is the average income

75k a year income and kids in private school and Armani suit? come on - 75k will barely buy you a house in some parts of London, let alone having a housewife, private school kids etc.

All relative, i suppose.
Reply 88
Original post by KittyAnneR
Yes actually...I would. :s-smilie: Humans created those things anyway, men nor women NATURALLY have high heels, lipstick or particular hairstyles. They are CHOSEN.

So if ur dude starts using your tapoons for reasons that you don't "really care" about. it'd be fine. Jesus Christ I wish i had a wife like u. bringing girls around and doing it in our bedsheets with no problem.

Original post by Implication
I really don't think that's controversial lol. Men and women (and otherwise) are free to wear high heels, lipstick and wigs if they choose. There is nothing wrong with that.

nothing wrong of course not. But when u think of a man. U imagine something opposite to high heel wearing lipstick shizzle etc etc.
i would describe myself as a feminist and would say there is nothing wrong with wanting to be or being a housewife, it becomes wrong when you say women should be or should want to be housewives. its the same for househusbands, if that's what you want and it is what is healthy for the relationship go for it.
Original post by moneus
So if ur dude starts using your tapoons for reasons that you don't "really care" about. it'd be fine. Jesus Christ I wish i had a wife like u. bringing girls around and doing it in our bedsheets with no problem.nothing wrong of course not. But when u think of a man. U imagine something opposite to high heel wearing lipstick shizzle etc etc.

Right, how is a man using tampons the same? For a start, a MAN has no vagina. Secondly, you know nothing about my sexual orientation. Don't go round assuming that everyone has your xenophobic opinions. Thirdly, I don't know where I said I was cool with being cheated on? I said things like aesthetic expression are a person's choice- man or woman.

My boyfriend and I are very happy :smile:
Original post by moneus
nothing wrong of course not. But when u think of a man. U imagine something opposite to high heel wearing lipstick shizzle etc etc.

Most of us do, but that's a problem with us - our prejudices - and not with men who dress like that. It should be transparently obvious that what an individual wears - or how they live their life in general - should not be determined by whether they happened to been born with a Y chromosome or an extra X.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moneus

but thats what people assume, not a comment on anything else. Take me, im tall, over 6 foot, im rather muscular and broad (i used to play rugby but kinda stopped due to uni work so ive lost a bit of mass :frown: ) and i have a rather aggressive scar on my neck and one above my lips, i have even seen people cross the road to avoid me. and yet im gay, (people generally are shocked when they find out ) i do ballet (though once again that has kinda fallen to side) and other forms of dance, i own a few teddy bears which are at uni with me and i love to dance and listen to and sing the music of lady gaga, beyond, britney spears and Madonna (among others). on one hand i look like a "man" and on the other i dont act like one.
I think women have the right to choose whether to become a housewife or not, it's their choice but I think women should aim higher and aspire to be better than a traditional housewife.
How have I not seen this thread before?

Housewives do not have my respect one bit.
Reply 95
Original post by Daenerys...

Because, since you are a femenist and the women is choosing her own path (instead of that which feminism wants). You dont have her respect?

lol wow. Its the 21st century, Get a grip.
Original post by Jessholding
I think women have the right to choose whether to become a housewife or not, it's their choice but I think women should aim higher and aspire to be better than a traditional housewife.

Well that's very judgemental.

If someone freely chooses that as their goal, what gives you the right to put them down and tell them they're not good enough?

My mother stayed home because she thought it was best for he children. She got quite upset when politicians of the Harman variety started saying on TV that it was a woman's duty to go back to work. The moralising pricks wouldn't know duty if it shot them in the foot.
Original post by Daenerys...

Thought you were a feminist Daenerys? Giving men and women the choice to be whatever they want to be whether it's a CEO or a full time parent and housewife/husband.

Such a f*cking hypocrite. I regret ever trying to engage in intelligent conversation with you in your thread asking why TSR dislikes feminism so much. It's people like you who twist and bend the rules of it that gives it a bad name. To think I thought we were actually on the same page? You claim to be all for feminism, LGBT movements, HAES movements and yet you don't know enough about them to be consistent and respectful.

I'm so done right now. Don't even bother arguing back in your aggressive yet ever so wordy rhetoric bullsh*t, I won't bother to read a word that has your name attached.
I identify as a feminist, and I see nothing wrong with you wanting to do this. Feminism is about equality, which in this case I think should mean that you get to make your own decisions about what you want to do with your life. If you wanted to be prime minister, heck that's just as awesome too. The same goes for men- do whatever the **** you want, as long as it doesn't hurt you or anyone else. End of.
Original post by SallySparrow66
Thought you were a feminist Daenerys? Giving men and women the choice to be whatever they want to be whether it's a CEO or a full time parent and housewife/husband.

Such a f*cking hypocrite. I regret ever trying to engage in intelligent conversation with you in your thread asking why TSR dislikes feminism so much. It's people like you who twist and bend the rules of it that gives it a bad name. To think I thought we were actually on the same page? You claim to be all for feminism, LGBT movements, HAES movements and yet you don't know enough about them to be consistent and respectful.

I'm so done right now. Don't even bother arguing back in your aggressive yet ever so wordy rhetoric bullsh*t, I won't bother to read a word that has your name attached.

I said I do not respect them not that I don't think they shouldn't do what they want to do, I mean if a woman wants to be shackleD to a kitchen sink then that's her choice but I don't have to respect her. In the same way I support women who work in the sex industry for having the freedom of doing what they want but again I do not respect them or their profession. There is a difference but it appears such a nuance is to be lost on the likes of you and db f40.

I know you will read this. lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending