The Student Room Group

Is suicide selfish?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by quentinhamilton
I understand though it would be nice if those who lost their lives had the chance to seek help

Of course, ideally no one would fall into a state of mind where they felt they needed to commit suicide.
But it happens all to often :frown:
Original post by Alaric III
It's not selfish so much as usually short-sighted. Because even if everything does go to **** there will always be some little golden nugget somewhere down the line which is worth living for. Probably quite an ignorant thing for someone to say who has never seriously contemplated it before, but after helping many of my friends get through similarly difficult times I think it's justified.

Of course suicide is a totally different question to euthanasia.

Best thing I've read today :congrats:I'll keep this in mind always - thank you :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Before you make contradictory statements why don't you read what you said before?

It's not like what I am saying is completely wrong, suicide rates are increasing because of that typical scenario. Argue all you want but suicide rates are increasing lol
Original post by Haiiz
It's not like what I am saying is completely wrong, suicide rates are increasing because of that typical scenario. Argue all you want but suicide rates are increasing lol

Don't know what's so lol about suicide rates increasing
Reply 64
I'm loling at all these naïve parents that are the main reason for suicide rates
Original post by Haiiz

Um, actually how many of those typical scenario's have you heard of? You didn't respond back to my previous reply.
Give an example of a typical scenario in your opinion?
Original post by Haiiz
You want me to explain why suicide are for weak people???
It's pretty self explanatory. Typical teen that goes through what you can barely call a hardship, gets "depressed" for a couple years cuts himself/herself cries blah blah blah dies. Boohoo.To be completely honest people that waste money and resources on suicide prevention should be stopped. The parents are to blame for their weak child letting them believe that the world if full of "good" they let their child live in a bubble and when that bubble finally pops they can't cope and commit suicide.

:unimpressed:

I don't even know how to respond to this because it's so ignorant and just horrible.
Reply 67
Original post by Feraligatr
Um, actually how many of those typical scenario's have you heard of? You didn't respond back to my previous reply.
Give an example of a typical scenario in your opinion?

My point was people commit suicide because they are weak. They can't cope with life and kill themselves and you change the focus to scenarios. It doesn't matter who it is, killing yourself is pathetic when you have a home, job and family. Even if you are homeless what is the point of killing yourself. People like you probably increase the suicide rate with all this all positive thinking, not enough logic.
Reply 68
Original post by holly1798
:unimpressed:

I don't even know how to respond to this because it's so ignorant and just horrible.

Ignorant? Everyone tosses that word when people can't argue.
Original post by sparkletoo
Exactly. I've been in that position before. And my brother committed suicide aged 25 and I don't feel angry at him for my being upset at what he did. I'm more upset that he suffered for as long as he did and that he didn't think he could ever find any peace or help. In fact, the small bit of solace I could find when it first happened was that at least he wasn't suffering horrendously anymore.

Totally agree with this statement. If someone is struggling over years and tried every method of getting help and still in the black hole of misery, than surely it's a better alternative.

If an elderly person wants to die (e.g. assisted suicide) because of an illness and doesn't want to suffer anymore, than surely it's the same logic as with people with depression. Surely it would be more painful for a sufferer confiding in their family of their thoughts over the years and for their family to hear how suicidal they are then for the actual act itself.
Original post by Haiiz
I'm loling at all these naïve parents that are the main reason for suicide rates

You haven't explained how the parents are the main reason to suicide rates? You haven't even replied back to another user's quotes when he challenged you, which shows you have no idea what you're talking about and you can't back it up.

You're very ignorant so I'm not going to bother wasting my time with you anymore.

EDIT- Oh you did reply to him, what you're saying to him is still rubbish
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
You haven't explained how the parents are the main reason to suicide rates? You haven't even replied back to another user's quotes when he challenged you, which shows you have no idea what you're talking about and you can't back it up.

You're very ignorant so I'm not going to bother wasting my time with you anymore.

k.
Reply 72
It's never selfish lmfao yall clearly know nothing about suicide yall ****in weird. There were probably suicidal people or people who already attempted it who read/are reading this thread (sorry my lovelies) who probably feel even worse after yall are preaching that them wanting to end their own ****ing life due to already feeling like **** is selfish??? Girl
Suicide is not a selfish act.
From the sufferer's point of view, they have lost all hope in enjoyment and cannot seem to find a way to end all of the misery in their life, so turn to suicide as their only option to gain "freedom" and not have any more burden in their life anymore.

If you gave up all hope in your life and literally couldn't think of how to go on, wouldn't you feel absolutely miserable and feel like utter crap? It's not "selfish" to commit suicide, all for the 'better' from the sufferer's perspective, but all for the 'worse' for family and friends of the sufferer. It's not something to get angry about, just help those who need the help during the darkest days.
Original post by Haiiz
My point was people commit suicide because they are weak. They can't cope with life and kill themselves and you change the focus to scenarios. It doesn't matter who it is, killing yourself is pathetic when you have a home, job and family. Even if you are homeless what is the point of killing yourself. People like you probably increase the suicide rate with all this all positive thinking, not enough logic.

Um, so you're assuming that all people that commit suicide are weak? Depression isn't something you can control, its something which takes over your life (and so does any other mental health problem), you can't possibly assume someone to be weak over something they have no control over can you?
You still haven't provided me an answer though, you didn't provide an example of a typical scenario.
You haven't met someone who has suffered from depression or someone who has actually suffered from suicidal thoughts? Have you? I know people who have suffered from depression and hell no, they're not weak. Their problems take over their lives and they feel abandoned and want someone to help but feel like no one can or will be bothered to help.

And actually, its probably people like you who don't understand and just demean depressed people apparently because they're "weak" and "deserve to die". I'm just justifying that suicide isn't selfish and that depressed people aren't weak. You don't know what people have gone through to make them feel suicidal, sometimes family and supposedly loved ones actually worsen the situation and hence some people feel like no one cares and they're better off dead.
Original post by Haiiz
Ignorant? Everyone tosses that word when people can't argue.

Pretty sure it's a perfect disruptive for a opinion like yours.
People who have never experienced depression or people who aren't related to/know anyone who is dealing with depression are in a bad position to answer this question. Of course they're opinion will be biased. Some of the posts here are really making me lose faith in humanity.

Depression is a serious mental illness. It is a disease. it is killer. Saying people who suffer from depression and commit suicide are selfish is like saying people who suffer from cancer/AIDS and die are selfish. In both cases the death of these people cause emotional trauma to family/loved ones. But it is not in anyway the victim's fault. It is not a cancer patients fault they developed the disease. It is not a person suffering from clinical depression's fault they developed the illness. They didn't choose for this to happen to them. The pain is so much their bodies physically can not take it anymore.

Depression and suicide should be taken very seriously. It is not a joke. Maybe if people started taking it more seriously less people would have to die. When someone develops a serious disease what do you do? You do all that you can to treat that person's illness. The same thing goes for people with depression.

This scenario:
"Mom, I think I might have depression."
"You will get over it eventually. cheer up"
*person commits suicide*

Other people: "Oh that was so selfish of her! How dare she die even though she's going through tremendous pain!"

This is wrong

People commit suicide when their pain outweighs their copping resources. please keep that in mind. Maybe everyone else is selfish for wanting that person to stay alive despite the pain they are suffering.

Please educate yourself before making ignorant posts :smile:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml
Original post by TheGreatImposter
When you're contemplating suicide you're not doing it hopes that other people will miss you whilst your gone or what they would do without you because I think those who are depressed genuinely think that they're alone and they'd be better off dead. They aren't going to think of how they're friends or family are going to cope after they die. You can argue it's selfish for every one else to expect you to live because they have an emotional bond with you.

I'm sorry I didn't explain that very well :colondollar: But to answer your question, whether or suicide is selfish is dependant on which angle you look at it. The person who has lost someone due to suicide or the person who is going to commit suicide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yes they will think about it. They always do, hence, the suicide note.
Original post by StrawbAri
People who have never experienced depression or people who aren't related to/know anyone who is dealing with depression are in a bad position to answer this question. Of course they're opinion will be biased. Some of the posts here are really making me lose faith in humanity.

Depression is a serious mental illness. It is a disease. it is killer. Saying people who suffer from depression and commit suicide are selfish is like saying people who suffer from cancer/AIDS and die are selfish. In both cases the death of these people cause emotional trauma to family/loved ones. But it is not in anyway the victim's fault. It is not a cancer patients fault they developed the disease. It is not a person suffering from clinical depression's fault they developed the illness. They didn't choose for this to happen to them. The pain is so much their bodies physically can not take it anymore.

Depression and suicide should be taken very seriously. It is not a joke. Maybe if people started taking it more seriously less people would have to die. When someone develops a serious disease what do you do? You do all that you can to treat that person's illness. The same thing goes for people with depression.

This scenario:
"Mom, I think I might have depression."
"You will get over it eventually. cheer up"
*person commits suicide*

Other people: "Oh that was so selfish of her! How dare she die even though she's going through tremendous pain!"

This is wrong

People commit suicide when their pain outweighs their copping resources. please keep that in mind. Maybe everyone else is selfish for wanting that person to stay alive despite the pain they are suffering.

Please educate yourself before making ignorant posts :smile:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml

People with AIDS do not choose to kill themselves. They are killed by the virus. It is obviously not the same. This depression is a real disease argument is still under debate by scientists and for you to come up on here with your high horses looking down upon everyone else that has a differing opinion is ridiculous.
Been there, done that. Well, nearly done that. Three times in fact. If anyone told me to my face it was selfish they might well get a sock round the head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending