The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How can you have white privilege if there are white homeless people?

Generalisations don't cut it for me.

The fact that you can have numerous white homeless people/white people on the poverty line and very rich, respected ethnic minorities suggests that the concept of white privilege is spurious, or at least founded upon a massive generalisation.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lady Comstock

The fact that you can have numerous white homeless people/white people on the poverty line and very rich, respected ethnic minorities suggests that the concept of white privilege is spurious, or at least founded upon a massive generalisation.

I thought you were a hardcore SJW?
Reply 2
A majority of them are homeless because of having a mental crisis or running away from home
People like to complain and feel like victims so they blow it out of proportion. Obviously it exists but it's not like white men walk down the street with their tophat and their monocle looking down on everyone else.
White homeless people gets more sympathy than other homeless people. Thats white privilege.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zargabaath
I thought you were a hardcore SJW?

I consider class to be the real 'privilege' in society.
Original post by Protégé
People like to complain and feel like victims so they blow it out of proportion. Obviously it exists but it's not like white men walk down the street with their tophat and their monocle looking down on everyone else.

This, the only times white privilege actually exists is trivial crap like a Disney princess being white or some BS like that. Well so what?
I consider class to be the real 'privilege' in society.

I agree
Reply 7
It's not about how white people live it's about how they get treated towards the public

What has privilege got to do with homelessness?

If white people are given special rights/advantages over non-white people that does not necessarily mean that white people will all have better lives than non-white people.
Original post by SHallowvale
What has privilege got to do with homelessness?

If white people are given special rights/advantages over non-white people that does not necessarily mean that white people will all have better lives than non-white people.

So, pray tell, what 'rights/advantages' does a white homeless man in Liverpool have over Chuka Umunna?

What? So because there's a minority that buck a general trend that means a general trend is irrelevant? It's like saying global warming is a fiction because we've had a cold may.
So, pray tell, what 'rights/advantages' does a white homeless man in Liverpool have over Chuka Umunna?

He doesn't. Can't your mind distinguish between general trends and individual cases?

'Pray tell', no offence, but I hate that. It's an extraneous addition which is used to hint at private education and bestow authority regardless of content.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
What? So because there's a minority that buck a general trend that means a general trend is irrelevant? It's like saying global warming is a fiction because we've had a cold may.

Yet global warming is not predicated on the notion that the weather will grow warmer all of the time. 'White privilege' is predicated on the notion that white people have special privileges above those of ethnic minorities, yet this is clearly a generalisation because Chuka Umunna, for instance, has many more privileges than a homeless white man in Liverpool. The statistics don't even back up your concept of a general trend; where are statistics that show white people perform the best and enjoy the most benefits in every aspect of society? You would also need to prove that those statistics as caused by the concept of white privilege.
He doesn't. Can't your mind distinguish between general trends and individual cases?

It demonstrates that the concept of white privilege is a fallacious generalisation based on insufficient objective evidence. I generally don't trust fallacious generalisations; do you?

'Pray tell', no offence, but I hate that. It's an extraneous addition which is used to hint at private education and bestow authority regardless of content.

Flowery and archaic granted, much like 'bestow', but hints at private education? Seriously?
Yet global warming is not predicated on the notion that the weather will grow warmer all of the time. 'White privilege' is predicated on the notion that white people have special privileges above those of ethnic minorities, yet this is clearly a generalisation .

Why do you keep referring to one man, it's irrelevant. Yes it's a generalisation, meaning that the hypothesis to be examined is it holds weight as a trend and there are exceptions which in themselves do not contradict a general statistical trend.

Global warming is predicated on the idea that the general statistical trend is warming over time, whilst some months or days might be the coldest ever recorded still, or colder than the past. That is precisely analagous to a general trend of black disadvantage whilst a few men like Ummuna and Obama become very successful and rich.
Why do you keep referring to one man, it's irrelevant. Yes it's a generalisation, meaning that the hypothesis to be examined is it holds weight as a trend and there are exceptions which in themselves do not contradict a general statistical trend.

Global warming is predicated on the idea that the general statistical trend is warming over time, whilst some months or days might be the coldest ever recorded still, or colder than the past. That is precisely analagous to a general trend of black disadvantage whilst a few men like Ummuna and Obama become very successful and rich.

Even if I were to accept your argument, where are the statistical trends that white people enjoy privileges and advantages beyond those of ethnic minorities in all elements of society? As far as I am aware, white kids certainly aren't the top achievers in education, for instance.

I'll tell you this

None of them white homeless people would swap places with me.

If you said to a white homeless person "Look. We will take you off the street. Give you 50 grand a year job. Get you nice place to live. Clean you up....but one thing. Your gonna have to take this pill and it will make you black"

All of them would sit right back down and carry on with there "Can ya spare us some change please ?"

The best way to look at there privilege is to compare a white homeless person with a black homeless person and you better believe white privilege exists.

People would be more hostile to the black homeless person. People would be more willing to give change to the white homeless person. The police would more hostile to the black homeless person. Charities, homeless shelters would be more welcoming of the white homeless person than the black homeless person.

There are people who are blind or disabled who are rich, but Stevie Wonders or Warwick Davis success does not disprove the fact able bodied people don't have any advantages over disabled people. The same way poor white people don't disprove that white privilege does not exist.
(edited 8 years ago)

I'm not agruing for the existance of white privilege in this country. I'm simply saying that having privileges doesn't necessarily mean you'll have a great life.
"If you said to a white homeless person "Look. We will take you off the street. Give you 50 grand a year job. Get you nice place to live. Clean you up....but one thing. Your gonna have to take this pill and it will make you black"

All of them would sit right back down and carry on with there "Can ya spare us some change please ?"

Iv'e seen you post some dodgy old pony but you have excelled yourself here.

Well done you. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

generalisations and stereotypes absolutely SUCK

Latest

Trending

Trending