The Student Room Group

Am I dyslexic?

I did badly on my exam today due to lack of time and after doing some thinking, I realised that I could be dyslexic, which would explain so much about myself.

I've listed some of my qualities (some seem to contradict dyslexia)

- I have short term memory loss i.e. I forget what my teacher said 30 secs ago
- I often pretend I'm listening to people when I'm actually daydreaming/not understanding what they're saying
- I'm a very slow thinker, so in Maths, all word problems require me to read the same question over and over again before it sinks in, but eventually I'm 9 times out of 10 able to solve the problem
- I forget peoples names/age/order of months often
- I guess storylines in books and get tired after reading like 2 pages of a book, I've actually re-read chapters before after a day of not reading
- I'm full of ideas but find it hard to lay them out
- I struggle verbally: stutter, can't express my thoughts, muddle up words
- I'm 18 years old and still have to count in multiples of 5 to read analog clocks

- I hardly ever misspell words
- I pretty good with numbers in terms of remembering multiplication, remembering formulas, solving algebra equations etc.

I also read an article which I don't know is true or not but they said dyslexics make great entrepreneurs which would suit me because I really enjoy business/making money for example I've got a website where people can order websites/apps/animations although it's not great but it's getting there lol.

I'm going to study computer science at university next year but if dyslexia really doesn't mix well with CS then I'll not go I think.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sounds like you're trying to fit yourself into a box which isn't meant to house you.
Reply 2
Original post by A5ko
Sounds like you're trying to fit yourself into a box which isn't meant to house you.

Hi thanks for the response. Do you mean I'm wanting to be a dyslexic, as in, I'm not really but I'd like to think of myself as one?
Original post by JadeyP
I did badly on my exam today due to lack of time and after doing some thinking, I realised that I could be dyslexic, which would explain so much about myself.

- I often pretend I'm listening to people when I'm actually daydreaming/not understanding what they're saying
- I'm a very slow thinker, so in Maths, all word problems require me to read the same question over and over again before it sinks in, but eventually I'm 9 times out of 10 able to solve the problem
- I guess storylines in books and get tired after reading like 2 pages of a book, I've actually re-read chapters before after a day of not reading
- I'm 18 years old and still have to count in multiples of 5 to read analog clocks

- I pretty good with numbers in terms of remembering multiplication, remembering formulas, solving algebra equations etc.

I also read an article which I don't know is true or not but they said dyslexics make great entrepreneurs which would suit me because I really enjoy business/making money for example I've got a website where people can order websites/apps/animations although it's not great but it's getting there lol.

I'm going to study computer science at university next year but if dyslexia really doesn't mix well with CS then I'll not go I think.

I think you should get tested and you are not the only one who has found maths difficult, there is nothing wrong with that because maths is a language that not everybody seems to understand.

Maybe speak with your parents or close friends about this to see their advice.

I hope things work out.:smile:
no. you're human
Reply 5
Original post by German123
I think you should get tested and you are not the only one who has found maths difficult, there is nothing wrong with that because maths is a language that not everybody seems to understand.

Maybe speak with your parents or close friends about this to see their advice.

Thanks I've spoken to friends/parents/teachers and it's only my teacher that seems to confident I'm dyslexic. Also with my maths, it's not that I'm bad at it, it's just that any wordy problems I have to spend double the time thinking about it. But I generally get there in the end which can be a real disadvantage in exams because even thought I can do them questions, I don't get enough time to get an answer. I'm taking A Level Mathematics and with Core 1-4, I don't have any problems in terms of understanding what the question is asking but the Decision Modules involves lots and lots of text which caused me to do badly in the exam.
Original post by JadeyP

http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/common/ckeditor/filemanager/userfiles/Adult-Checklist.pdf
check this out.
I m dyslexic myself and it sounds like you possibly have a slow processing speed(one "symptom" of dyslexia)You dont actually have to have problems spelling to be diagnosed, i dont have much trouble with spelling myself. being full of ideas and having difficulties structuring is another potential symptom. As well as a horrendous short term memory being a potential symptom.
However, do you have any problems reading at all? are you a slow reader do you ever miss read words? whats your tracking when you read like?

Even if you are dyslexic doesnt mean you cant do computer science, theres plenty of support in uni so you could do whatever you wanted to for the most part.
You re welcome to pm if I could be of anymore help, i got diagnosed with dyslexia at 18(although i do have dyspraxia which has some similar symptoms anyway) so its perfectly possible you can have had it go unoticed for years
(edited 8 years ago)
my apologises, i just realised you ve mentioned reading problems in your post. I think it d be worth you getting a test really.
Reply 8
Original post by claireestelle
http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/common/ckeditor/filemanager/userfiles/Adult-Checklist.pdf
check this out.
I m dyslexic myself and it sounds like you possibly have a slow processing speed(one "symptom" of dyslexia)You dont actually have to have problems spelling to be diagnosed, i dont have much trouble with spelling myself. being full of ideas and having difficulties structuring is another potential symptom. As well as a horrendous short term memory being a potential symptom.
However, do you have any problems reading at all? are you a slow reader do you ever miss read words? whats your tracking when you read like?

Even if you are dyslexic doesnt mean you cant do computer science, theres plenty of support in uni so you could do whatever you wanted to for the most part.
You re welcome to pm if I could be of anymore help, i got diagnosed with dyslexia at 18(although i do have dyspraxia which has some similar symptoms anyway) so its perfectly possible you can have had it go unoticed for years

Hi awesome response thanks! I took the test and got 50 (mild dyslexia). With reading I generally don't have any problems at all in terms of, well, reading it. Sometimes I miss out words/miss read words but my main problem linked with reading is not being able to interpret what I just read. When I'm reading something I'll re-read sentences a lot or just have no clue what it means and English is my first language! I'm not so much of a slow reader unless I'm reading out loud and by tracking what do you mean?

Thanks again you're a a great help!
Reply 9
my apologises, i just realised you ve mentioned reading problems in your post. I think it d be worth you getting a test really.

Ah ok thanks, the problem is I've finished college forever now so I can't talk to the special learning teacher, but there's a local dyslexia center which I'll look into. :smile:
Original post by JadeyP
Hi awesome response thanks! I took the test and got 50 (mild dyslexia). With reading I generally don't have any problems at all in terms of, well, reading it. Sometimes I miss out words/miss read words but my main problem linked with reading is not being able to interpret what I just read. When I'm reading something I'll re-read sentences a lot or just have no clue what it means and English is my first language! I'm not so much of a slow reader unless I'm reading out loud and by tracking what do you mean?

Thanks again you're a a great help!

No problem:smile:
it does sound like you should get tested for sure:smile: by tracking i mean can you stay on the line when you read without missing anything out but if you re missing out words it sounds like you do.
I m the exact same a slow reader if someone asks me to read out loud, which is one of the many little tests you have to do to find out if you ve dyslexia.
Original post by JadeyP
Ah ok thanks, the problem is I've finished college forever now so I can't talk to the special learning teacher, but there's a local dyslexia center which I'll look into. :smile:

definitely do that:smile: but if you re starting uni in september if you speak to disabled services there and take a checklist of symptoms you feel you have with you then they should be able to help you find someone who can test you:smile: (thats what i did:smile:)
Reply 12
No problem:smile:
it does sound like you should get tested for sure:smile: by tracking i mean can you stay on the line when you read without missing anything out but if you re missing out words it sounds like you do.
I m the exact same a slow reader if someone asks me to read out loud, which is one of the many little tests you have to do to find out if you ve dyslexia.

Haha awesome I shall look forward to a dyslexia test then! lol :smile:
Original post by JadeyP
Haha awesome I shall look forward to a dyslexia test then! lol :smile:

have fun, my brain was so exhausted after it, it took 3 hours:P but then i got a 15 page report telling me all about my brain at the end which was quite interesting to try and read. If you ve want any other help then pm me, good luck:smile:
Original post by JadeyP
Thanks I've spoken to friends/parents/teachers and it's only my teacher that seems to confident I'm dyslexic. Also with my maths, it's not that I'm bad at it, it's just that any wordy problems I have to spend double the time thinking about it. But I generally get there in the end which can be a real disadvantage in exams because even thought I can do them questions, I don't get enough time to get an answer. I'm taking A Level Mathematics and with Core 1-4, I don't have any problems in terms of understanding what the question is asking but the Decision Modules involves lots and lots of text which caused me to do badly in the exam.

Teachers aren't the best people to diagnose you with those things. I've had one tell me I'm Dyslexic, which I'm not. (Been tested properly) and her and another both told me I don't have Autism. (Which I do and have a diagnosis)
Reply 15
have fun, my brain was so exhausted after it, it took 3 hours:P but then i got a 15 page report telling me all about my brain at the end which was quite interesting to try and read. If you ve want any other help then pm me, good luck:smile:

I bet it was! I'd like to really know though so I guess I'll just have to do it and yes I'll make sure I'll follow you so I don't forget lol
Reply 16
Original post by OU Student
Teachers aren't the best people to diagnose you with those things. I've had one tell me I'm Dyslexic, which I'm not. (Been tested properly) and her and another both told me I don't have Autism. (Which I do and have a diagnosis)

Ah right yes I guess your teachers didn't really know you, mind you saying that, my parents were convinced I didn't have asthma and I got it tested and I do.
Original post by JadeyP

Maybe you should consider special consideration and extra time?

No-one can diagnose dyslexia, or another difficulty such as dyspraxia, over the internet.

If you want to know for sure, you need to be assessed by an educational psychologist or similar professional, and the best way to access this is probably via your school. If one of your teachers believes you show signs, then ask about being assessed.

Alternatively, you may be able to access assessment once you get to uni.

Edit: Also, I'm not dyslexic at all, but really didn't enjoy decision maths. I think decision, unless it's very well taught, is a pretty hard module to make sense of.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by German123
Maybe you should consider special consideration and extra time?

Thanks even though it's too late for my A Level exams, I could look into it for exams I do at Uni or elsewhere. Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending