The Student Room Group

Dyslexia on the UCAT

Hi there, I took the UCAT today and got 2230... really gutted because I worked hard but the thing that let me down was my VR. I'm dyslexic so speed reading is not my thing. I was screened at school for dyslexia but I'm now 42 so I didn't even think to take it into consideration when booking my UCAT. It's only afterwards that I thought about it.

Clearly I'm going to have to take the UCAT again next year and I just wondered does anyone know what the situation is with extra time (if any) for dyslexics? I called and spoke to UCAT and they were very evasive and couldn't seem to give me a straight answer. I'm thinking of getting a diagnosis but but as it costs 600GBP, so I want to make sure it's worth it as if it doesn't get me any extra time, then it's not really worth the bother.
Reply 1
Original post by Cat205
Hi there, I took the UCAT today and got 2230... really gutted because I worked hard but the thing that let me down was my VR. I'm dyslexic so speed reading is not my thing. I was screened at school for dyslexia but I'm now 42 so I didn't even think to take it into consideration when booking my UCAT. It's only afterwards that I thought about it.

Clearly I'm going to have to take the UCAT again next year and I just wondered does anyone know what the situation is with extra time (if any) for dyslexics? I called and spoke to UCAT and they were very evasive and couldn't seem to give me a straight answer. I'm thinking of getting a diagnosis but but as it costs 600GBP, so I want to make sure it's worth it as if it doesn't get me any extra time, then it's not really worth the bother.

Am I reading this right? You are 42 and applying for medical school? That is so awesome and inspiring. What has made you wait so long to apply? (if you don't mind me asking?)

Im sorry I can't help you out regarding the UCAT score but I just wanted to reach out and say you post is inspiring.

I have thought about medicine myself too. But there is always a doubt in the back of my head. I also suffer with dyslexia. I wish you all the best.
Reply 2
Ah, that’s so kind. I always wanted to be a doctor but circumstances meant that I didn’t have the opportunity. My kiddos are now both at school so it’s now or never!

It’s hard doing it when you’re older though - the brain isn’t quite so quick… just look at my UCAT score! 😖
Reply 3
Original post by Cat205

https://www.ucat.ac.uk/register/access-arrangements/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending