The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Geography B Unit 3 - Making Geographical Decisions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HoulstonSean
Thanks A Lot !!!

In regards to linking ideas, anything goes if you can fight your corner.
For example:
Tectonic hazards put people at risk and a lack of infrastructure increases the effects of said hazard. For example, in Haiti in 2010, 316000 people died and 30,000 businesses were destroyed.
This infrastructure can be improved by allowing TNCs invest in the country and it's industry (FDI) so earthquake-resistant buildings can be constructed or workers can be trained for evacuations. In return, the TNC has access to cheap labour, cheap land and can trade inside barriers.

As you can see, I linked Restless Earth and Globalisation. Feel free to use this if it comes up in tomorrow's exam :biggrin:

EDIT: There is probably more you can add to that paragraph but I am too lazy to think right now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sky14107836285
Any tips for the 12 mark question?

Not much but include:
1. Economic, environmental and social benefits of your choice
2. Economic, environmental and social costs of the other choices
3. Counter arguments and 'counter-counter' arguments
Thanks for the tip, how long do you spend per question, roughly speaking please?
Original post by DiafraWright
Thanks for the tip, how long do you spend per question, roughly speaking please?

Now this I don't know. So if anyone finds out, tell me as well please :smile:
Original post by Lydia24
I don't know if this will help, you but this is how we are taught to do it:
- Make your choice
- State why it is the best choice, and do this by giving 3 positive PEE (Point, evidence, explain) paragraphs using evidence from the booklet and from unit 1 ans 2 (you are expected to remember some of that!!). Obviously if it only asks for social and economic, don't talk about environmental, just give another PEE paragraph on one of the other two
- Then give two negatives about your option, do this by writing two PEE paragraphs, the negatives could be social, economic or environmental, it doesn't matter
- And finally, go to each of the other options and give a PEE paragraph on each stating why you haven't chosen that one - reject them

I hope this helps, I know it is alot to remember, but once you've broken it down, it's not too bad

When you state the negatives you have to give reasons for why they dont matter :wink:
Original post by ET1999
Guess there isn't but I think its pretty easy and is good when you don't have time to revise cos of all the other subjects

I agree! I have spent all weekend revising Chemistry and I totally forgot about the Geo exam until I checked like ten minutes ago.
Reply 26
good luck everyone. hope you don't get nervous and have plenty of time to get through the whole exam with some to spare.
for 12 markers, our teacher basically said to:
-what options have you chosen and what factors have you looked at while choosing the option.
-why your option may not be a good idea.
-a paragraph for each option saying the plus points of them but then also talking about why you rejected that option.
-a final paragraph again reiterating why your chosen option is the best while not repeating what you said for the first bullet point but more on your reflections after looking at other options.
Original post by ireallywantana
Does anyone have some good advice in terms of exam technique on how to do the last q

-state the decision you chose
-say a benefit of it
-Explain the benefit
-Say the impact your option has on the wider world

-State another benefit
-State its benefit + explain this benefit

-Give a reason for why you didn't pick one of the other options (a disadvantage)
-Explain the disadvantage

Conclude
Wtf was that paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
That paper was quite weird... Not sure if we are allowed to discuss it just yet as people won't have sat it

Posted from TSR Mobile
yh that was really hard. what option did you put for the last question?
Pleasee tell me I`m not the only one who thought that paper was HARD!!! :frown: :angry:

What did you guys say for the renenewable/non-renewable/sustainable use of the water question?

I said it was non-renewable cause it takes 600 years to replenish and only 1 century to deplete and i made links of it with oil. I also said why the other things were not true to like its not sustainable cause it runs out or somthing etc etc

And for the last question do you guys think i did enough for it?

I wrote 4 paragraphs (about 5 lines each) with a point of how option C was the best, each one with a bit of explanation. I then finished off with 2 paragraphs, 1 for each of the reminaing choces, explaining how their negatives are easily outweighing the negatives my chosen choice is, these paragraphs were reasonably long...

How many marks could I get if all my points were correct? Is this enough for at least 9/12 including the spag?

:frown: hard paper :frown:
Quality not quantity :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I think it was harder than 2014 not sure if that's just me or not...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Mastermind1000000
Pleasee tell me I`m not the only one who thought that paper was HARD!!! :frown: :angry:

What did you guys say for the renenewable/non-renewable/sustainable use of the water question?

I said it was non-renewable cause it takes 600 years to replenish and only 1 century to deplete and i made links of it with oil. I also said why the other things were not true to like its not sustainable cause it runs out or somthing etc etc

And for the last question do you guys think i did enough for it?

I wrote 4 paragraphs (about 5 lines each) with a point of how option C was the best, each one with a bit of explanation. I then finished off with 2 paragraphs, 1 for each of the reminaing choces, explaining how their negatives are easily outweighing the negatives my chosen choice is, these paragraphs were reasonably long...

How many marks could I get if all my points were correct? Is this enough for at least 9/12 including the spag?

:frown: hard paper :frown:

Wait was it letters or numbers !
Damn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jitesh
Damn

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dunno :tongue:

I think it was letters tho :/
Original post by Mastermind1000000

I said renewable. However, I believe that marks will be given for the justification of the option chosen, not the actual option.

The last question is a leveled question. No idea what the mark scheme will be like, but guessing it'll be something like this:

As well as having correct points, you need to be synoptic, link to other knowledge and quote the resource book figures. You may need to contrast long term with short term, and focus on the social sustainability for people of the USA and the environmental sustainability for the region. It will also look at how well argued your points for and against your options were, and your geographical terminology.

Either way, was a difficult paper with some nasty questions.
Original post by Jitesh
Damn

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said it was sustainable as with careful management you can continue to use the resource

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
What do u think the grade boundaries would be? Unit 3 was a hard paper because they gave us a groundwater storage to study about! What the hell?! We've been taught about countries not this... hoping grade boundaries are going to be low? Any suggestions?
Reply 39
Was I the onlyone who found that a decent paper and actually liked it? The only thing that I found wierd was the name. Good ol' Agallala

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending