The Student Room Group

The veil

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JG1233
So fines aren't a deterrent because people still speed? What sort of logic is that?

Fines are not a deterrent and if you think they are, you are deluded.

People get fined ONLY when they are caught, So unless people see a speed camera or are forewarned of a police radar gun around the next corner, they will speed.

It may only be 5-10 miles over the limit, but that's still speeding. They won't do it next to the speed camera or when police are nearby because they know they'll get caught.

Ergo, fines are not a deterrent unless someone is constantly monitoring.

And it's pretty difficult to not get caught wearing a Niqab, it's fairly obvious to those around you. Wear it long enough you will be caught, and unless you're a millionaire you will eventually get tired of losing a couple of thousand a year paying fines.

How many bobbies are on the beat in Britain today? Do you not think they have more important jobs to do than go around handing out fines?

Do you really think the tubby police officer will chase after people in order to fine them?

To suggest that if we removed fines, speeding and littering etc. wouldn't increase is ridiculous.

I'm saying that if the government was serious about taking action on speeding, littering and anything that involved a fine, a couple of nights in the cell would have that effect. As such, it is simply a way to generate revenue and it has no deterrent effect unless someone is actively watching.

Because i couldn't stroll through a town center. Potentially relax outside the store i'm waiting to rob for the best opportunity in a balaclava. The police would be questioning anybody with any of those, other than a Niqab. Hence robberies in them are going up.

If stabbings through kitchen knives go up, will you advocate the total ban on knives?

People use their hands to commit crimes (assault, GBH, theft - any crime in fact). What are you going to do to stop these crimes? Chop their hands off?

Hmm, not actually a bad idea you've cottoned onto...
Original post by aamirac
What kind of wall responds back. None. Therefore either the employer has gone mad or is actually talking to a person.:h:

Yes but that is what it feels like to some people eventhough its not reality.

Of course a wall does not respond back.

:smile:
Original post by footstool1924
Isn't the purpose of the Niqaab so that the person wearing it is usually given the choice whether to initiate a conversation?

I don't know, I am not a Muslim, maybe you should ask someone who knows.

:s-smilie:
Reply 83
Fines are not a deterrent and if you think they are, you are deluded.

Of course they are, and if you think they aren't you are deluded.
No punishment works 100%, people still murder in countries they know they will get the death penalty. But like said i'm sure if we removed fines from certain offences, people would obviously commit them more. Seems simple.

How many bobbies are on the beat in Britain today? Do you not think they have more important jobs to do than go around handing out fines?

Well i can rarely walk into my town center without seeing a couple, so it would keep it away from busy area's. I hardly think people are suggesting a Niqab patrol, but 5 minutes to write a fine is going to waste all the police time resources?

Do you really think the tubby police officer will chase after people in order to fine them?

Yes because i'm sure the women in Niqab's are going to leg it everytime a police officer spots them. Lets not even bother enforcing punishments on any minor offences then so long as the person runs off.
And yes, he can slap a resisting/evading arrest charge on top if they do try run.

If stabbings through kitchen knives go up, will you advocate the total ban on knives?

Of course not, people might find it difficult to cut their vegetables with a spoon. It has a purpose in our everyday life.

People use their hands to commit crimes (assault, GBH, theft - any crime in fact). What are you going to do to stop these crimes? Chop their hands off?

Hmm, not actually a bad idea you've cottoned onto...

I'm not even 100% sure what you are even talking about here? When did i mention anything even close to chopping people's hands off or even assaults? You've got so off topic you've not even mentioned the Niqab in that whole post, which is what i was talking about.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JG1233
Of course they are, and if you think they aren't you are deluded.
No punishment works 100%, people still murder in countries they know they will get the death penalty. But like said i'm sure if we removed fines from certain offences, people would obviously commit them more. Seems simple.

Fines only work where someone is actively monitoring. If no-one is there to monitor, who will hand out the fines? If there are no speed cameras, who will fine the speeding driver? If there are no litter wardens, who will fine the litterers?

Well i can rarely walk into my town center without seeing a couple, so it would keep it away from busy area's. I hardly think people are suggesting a Niqab patrol, but 5 minutes to write a fine is going to waste all the police time resources?

What if the Niqaab person simply uncovers her face, walks past the police and drops it down over her face again? It will then turn into, "I saw her...she's lying"...

Yes because i'm sure the women in Niqab's are going to leg it everytime a police officer spots them. Lets not even bother enforcing punishments on any minor offences then so long as the person runs off.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the police have thought of that idea already, and went with it.

And yes, he can slap a resisting/evading arrest charge on top if they do try run.

The operative word being if...

Of course not, people might find it difficult to cut their vegetables with a spoon. It has a purpose in our everyday life.

But people use it to stab other people.

I'm not even 100% sure what you are even talking about here? When did i mention anything even close to chopping people's hands off or even assaults? You've got so off topic you've not even mentioned the Niqab in that whole post, which is what i was talking about.

I'm simply musing there that if people use the Niqaab to commit crimes, which was one of the arguments I think, then it's just a tool to perpetrate a crime, just like a hammer is, a knife or even fists and hands.

Perhaps to stop people committing crimes and deterring them, we simply chop off everyone's hands so they are deterred from committing any crimes. Good idea?
lol what a silly thread. Yes not being able to identify someone can be alarming, just like Halloween day is. When people wear masks.

I have no problem with the hijab, i find it kinky :wink:
Reply 86
Fines only work where someone is actively monitoring. If no-one is there to monitor, who will hand out the fines? If there are no speed cameras, who will fine the speeding driver? If there are no litter wardens, who will fine the litterers?

I don't get your point? We have traffic camera's?
The same way we have police officers? Sure its unlikely you would be fined everytime you left the house, but you would be spotted every now and then. If the fine is hefty enough, nobody would want to pay it.

What if the Niqaab person simply uncovers her face, walks past the police and drops it down over her face again? It will then turn into, "I saw her...she's lying"...

That could be used on literally anything.
"I didn't hit him officer!"
"I didn't throw those drugs on the floor officer!"
"I didn't just racially abuse them officer!"

If they catch you, the officer's word generally wins. If you're wearing a Niqab, who are you trying to convince you aren't covering your face? Obviously your point assuming they will always spot the police before the police spot them.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the police have thought of that idea already, and went with it.

Irrelevant again considering you wouldn't have to investigate if somebody was wearing a Niqab. Every major city has officers stationed in area's just patrolling, and if they spot someone wearing a Niqab it would be as difficult as spending 5 minutes to write the fine.
Hardly the same.

I'm simply musing there that if people use the Niqaab to commit crimes, which was one of the arguments I think, then it's just a tool to perpetrate a crime, just like a hammer is, a knife or even fists and hands.

Perhaps to stop people committing crimes and deterring them, we simply chop off everyone's hands so they are deterred from committing any crimes. Good idea?

You're point probably made more sense when i didn't understand it.
Lets just unban everything then, guns, bombs the lot?

Or.... we could use common sense. Not ban things which actually have a use and place in society, such as knives, hammers and.....hands?

Whilst the Niqab has no purpose, British society wouldn't miss it like your examples. I couldn't walk around my town center very long in a balaclava without being stopped and rightly so, its a security risk. Seems a bit hypocritical i throw on a Niqab, the same if not a bigger effect and can be left to do what i want.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JG1233
Whilst the Niqab has no purpose, British society wouldn't miss it like your examples. I couldn't walk around my town center very long in a balaclava without being stopped and rightly so, its a security risk. Seems a bit hypocritical i throw on a Niqab, the same if not a bigger effect and can be left to do what i want.

How many people have you seen robbing a shop in a niqab?

How many more have you seen with people wearing balaclavas?

Fundamental misunderstanding; most robbers, looters, whatever, are male. The niqab is only worn by women. Unless you were conducting a heist entirely silently, which would be nigh-on impossible, anyone would be able to tell immediately that you're not a woman before you've even tried to do anything. This is leaving out the fact that you'd have to be wearing various prosthetics to make you look more womanly.

It's just a stupid argument that you're making, really.
Original post by JG1233
I don't get your point? We have traffic camera's?
The same way we have police officers? Sure its unlikely you would be fined everytime you left the house, but you would be spotted every now and then. If the fine is hefty enough, nobody would want to pay it.

I think you mean speed cameras, which are usually in fixed places so it can be easily avoided.

How much would you say would an appropriate fine be?

That could be used on literally anything.
"I didn't hit him officer!"
"I didn't throw those drugs on the floor officer!"
"I didn't just racially abuse them officer!"

If they catch you, the officer's word generally wins. If you're wearing a Niqab, who are you trying to convince you aren't covering your face? Obviously your point assuming they will always spot the police before the police spot them.

There's just too many if's here.

If they see you, if they catch you, if they want to fine you...

Irrelevant again considering you wouldn't have to investigate if somebody was wearing a Niqab. Every major city has officers stationed in area's just patrolling, and if they spot someone wearing a Niqab it would be as difficult as spending 5 minutes to write the fine.
Hardly the same.

The point was about police time and resources and why they don't concentrate on the more important offences.

You're point probably made more sense when i didn't understand it.
Lets just unban everything then, guns, bombs the lot?

Or.... we could use common sense. Not ban things which actually have a use and place in society, such as knives, hammers and.....hands?

Very good. You've hit the nail on the head.:biggrin:

Whilst the Niqaab may be used for nefarious purposes, it's original intention, by the makers and those who wear it, is not nefarious, just like knives, hammers and....hands?

On the other hand, guns and bombs are intentionally designed to kill/maim.

What reason would you have for wearing a balaclava in the middle of the street?
Reply 89
I think you mean speed cameras, which are usually in fixed places so it can be easily avoided.

How much would you say would an appropriate fine be?

Couple hundred £ people won't want to be paying on a regular basis.

There's just too many if's here.

If they see you, if they catch you, if they want to fine you...

Once again this applies to every crime. And i can't see why the wouldn't want to fine you, they don't let you get away with anything else.

The point was about police time and resources and why they don't concentrate on the more important offences.

And my point is officers do this thing called a "patrol". They are investigating and looking for nothing in particular.
If they are just stood around a city center (which they often are), and spot someone in a Niqab. Its hardly diverting resources, potentially generating more in fines.

Very good. You've hit the nail on the head.:biggrin:

Whilst the Niqaab may be used for nefarious purposes, it's original intention, by the makers and those who wear it, is not nefarious, just like knives, hammers and....hands?

On the other hand, guns and bombs are intentionally designed to kill/maim.

An actual use, you're examples were tools. Personally i don't think safety should be compromised for anything unless it has to be.

We can't live without tools, the Niqab on the other hand? Especially in Britain.

What reason would you have for wearing a balaclava in the middle of the street?

I might just be cold? Or do i even need one, i'm sure if a Muslim wearing a Niqab explained their reasoning to somebody who had never heard of religion it would make 0 sense. Why should mine need to?

I also believe in one rule for all. Not making exceptions for those who claim they follow a religion which should make them exempt from what everybody else has to follow. Nobody else can cover their face in public with deserved attention and questioning, i'm not for giving out special privileges.
Reply 90
Original post by Guills on wheels
How many people have you seen robbing a shop in a niqab?

How many more have you seen with people wearing balaclavas?

Fundamental misunderstanding; most robbers, looters, whatever, are male. The niqab is only worn by women. Unless you were conducting a heist entirely silently, which would be nigh-on impossible, anyone would be able to tell immediately that you're not a woman before you've even tried to do anything. This is leaving out the fact that you'd have to be wearing various prosthetics to make you look more womanly.

It's just a stupid argument that you're making, really.

I've seen 0 people robbing a shop in either. However the potential to rob a shop in a niqab is a modern concept to Britain. And would be used by the smarter criminals, they could literally sit outside the shop in it waiting for the right moment. Criminals are and will catch on though, its rising:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/mmw/2013/03/rise-of-the-niqabi-criminal-balaclavas-burkas-and-bank-robberies/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/8665873.stm

There are countless.

In the Niqab you can see nothing but eyes. It would be near impossible to tell the gender of the person underneath it. The only give away would really be height and bust, and there are tall women and flatchested women so that would hardly be conclusive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tengentoppa
There are many reasons to dislike the veil:

1. Security risk
2. Very rude and makes communication difficult
3. Looks stupid
4. Based on the presumption that a woman is a man's property to be jealously guarded

I view disliking the veil as an entirely reasonable position to have.

There are many reasons to like the veil:
1.Avoid temptation from men.
2.Protects her modesty.
3.It shows that being a person isn't all about beauty and physical appearance.
4.Enhance the value and respect of women.
Original post by JG1233
Couple hundred £ people won't want to be paying on a regular basis.

And if someone sets up a fund for those caught wearing the Niqaab like in France/ You'd be okay with that?

Once again this applies to every crime. And i can't see why the wouldn't want to fine you, they don't let you get away with anything else.

Common sense. If they see a man with a balaclava, they may stop him and give him a fine but a woman in a Niqaab with 3 kids, come on.

And my point is officers do this thing called a "patrol". They are investigating and looking for nothing in particular.
If they are just stood around a city center (which they often are), and spot someone in a Niqab. Its hardly diverting resources, potentially generating more in fines.

I said it's a money making scheme, didn't I?

An actual use, you're examples were tools. Personally i don't think safety should be compromised for anything unless it has to be.

We can't live without tools, the Niqab on the other hand? Especially in Britain.

If you want to know what effect banning a knife would have on people, ask a chef who uses one day to day.
If you want to know what effect banning a hammer would have on people, ask a carpenter/DIY hobbyist who uses one.
Ditto for the Niqaab. Ask a Muslim woman.

No-one is forcing you to wear one so stop bleedin' crying about it.

I might just be cold? Or do i even need one, i'm sure if a Muslim wearing a Niqab explained their reasoning to somebody who had never heard of religion it would make 0 sense. Why should mine need to?

She would simply say it's a personal reason and there is no need to explain it to you. Simple.

I also believe in one rule for all. Not making exceptions for those who claim they follow a religion which should make them exempt from what everybody else has to follow. Nobody else can cover their face in public with deserved attention and questioning, i'm not for giving out special privileges.

Then may I suggest you embark upon your crusade with the people who make the laws for other people because they sure as hell get a lot of special privileges.
Original post by JG1233
I've seen 0 people robbing a shop in either. However the potential to rob a shop in a niqab is a modern concept to Britain. And would be used by the smarter criminals, they could literally sit outside the shop in it waiting for the right moment. Criminals are and will catch on though, its rising:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/mmw/2013/03/rise-of-the-niqabi-criminal-balaclavas-burkas-and-bank-robberies/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/8665873.stm

There are countless.

In the Niqab you can see nothing but eyes. It would be near impossible to tell the gender of the person underneath it. The only give away would really be height and bust, and there are tall women and flatchested women so that would hardly be conclusive.

Okay, when you think of a heist, do you think of someone wearing a veil? No. I have the potential to murder every single person on my street. Does that mean I will? No.

I'm talking about the sound of your voice?

Also, if you're conducting a heist wearing a full niqab, then you'll struggle to run. Or move freely.
Reply 94
Original post by Guills on wheels
Okay, when you think of a heist, do you think of someone wearing a veil? No. I have the potential to murder every single person on my street. Does that mean I will? No.

I'm talking about the sound of your voice?

Also, if you're conducting a heist wearing a full niqab, then you'll struggle to run. Or move freely.

I've already explained its a modern and growing tactic used by criminals. And your point makes no sense anyway, when i think off a stabbing i think of a small knife. Doesn't mean i think we should be able to carry swords.

Well if you're a robber disgusing yourself in a Niqab you probably wouldn't be walking around shouting at everyone so they know you're male. Once you're in the store it doesn't matter, no description of the suspect other than they're male and you can't even trawl through CCTV if they arrived in the Niqab.

And it could easily be adapted, if it was a problem in the first place.
Original post by claudiiia_u
There are many reasons to like the veil:
1.Avoid temptation from men.
2.Protects her modesty.
3.It shows that being a person isn't all about beauty and physical appearance.
4.Enhance the value and respect of women.

1. Yes because a man's natural state is to be a rapist. If it woman doesn't cover herself up a man is like a wild animal with no controls who will immediately assault the women.
2. Showing your face isn't immodest, it's polite.
3. You're more likely to focus on a person's appearance if they look like a dementor rather than if they dress normally. And even if your point is correct, why don't men wear the veil too? It would ensure no-one considers physical characteristics.
4. Of course, because countries where many women wear the veil have such a wonderful record on gender equality. You're deluding yourself if you actually think the veil promotes the status of women in society.
Reply 96
And if someone sets up a fund for those caught wearing the Niqaab like in France/ You'd be okay with that?

Sure, they would run out of money eventually. Even if not, its an inconvenience and would allow officers to stop people to issue the fines.
Hence removing the security risk as they would then know who was under the Niqab,

Common sense. If they see a man with a balaclava, they may stop him and give him a fine but a woman in a Niqaab with 3 kids, come on.

What for, the crime of being a man and wearing a different item of clothing with the same effect? I've already stated how i feel about treating everybody equally, and not making special rules for different people.

If you want to know what effect banning a knife would have on people, ask a chef who uses one day to day.
If you want to know what effect banning a hammer would have on people, ask a carpenter/DIY hobbyist who uses one.
Ditto for the Niqaab. Ask a Muslim woman.

The chef couldn't carry on with his job.
Same with the carpenter.
What exactly couldn't the Muslim woman do without her Niqab? If she chose not to do something, then she's making the decision (unless were suggesting she's being forced to wear it).

She would simply say it's a personal reason and there is no need to explain it to you. Simple.

Wouldn't work for anybody else though. I've already said i don't believe in treating people differently. I couldn't tell a police officer i'm wearing this KKK uniform in the town center for a person reason, so why should they? One law to all.

Then may I suggest you embark upon your crusade with the people who make the laws for other people because they sure as hell get a lot of special privileges.

And i don't agree with them either.
But they are different topics.
Original post by JG1233
Sure, they would run out of money eventually. Even if not, its an inconvenience and would allow officers to stop people to issue the fines.
Hence removing the security risk as they would then know who was under the Niqab,

That's all they can do. Issue fines? They can't forcibly remove the Niqaab?

What for, the crime of being a man and wearing a different item of clothing with the same effect? I've already stated how i feel about treating everybody equally, and not making special rules for different people.

I'm sure you campaign equally ferociously against positive discrimination, disabled people, LGBT and ethnic minorities.

The chef couldn't carry on with his job.
Same with the carpenter.
What exactly couldn't the Muslim woman do without her Niqab? If she chose not to do something, then she's making the decision (unless were suggesting she's being forced to wear it).

She wouldn't walk out on the street. You're effectively supporting the marginalizing of Muslim women who wear the Niqaab.

Wouldn't work for anybody else though. I've already said i don't believe in treating people differently. I couldn't tell a police officer i'm wearing this KKK uniform in the town center for a person reason, so why should they? One law to all.

Because of what the KKK represent. Does a Muslim woman in a Niqaab immediately scream out "robbery, theft, murder"?:rolleyes:

And i don't agree with them either.
But they are different topics.

Which you have just tied together.
Reply 98
That's all they can do. Issue fines? They can't forcibly remove the Niqaab?

I've already said i think people would be bored of paying fines. If you can't walk around your town center without being fined, you'd soon get bored.

I'm sure you campaign equally ferociously against positive discrimination, disabled people, LGBT and ethnic minorities.

Sure, i have protested about positive discrimination actively.

She wouldn't walk out on the street. You're effectively supporting the marginalizing of Muslim women who wear the Niqaab.

The obvious different being the chef/carpenter actually couldn't do their tasks without the tool.
The Muslim woman could of course walk down the street. If she chooses not to that's up to her.

If i refused to leave the house without a knife because they are banned in public, because i believe i should be allowed to carry a knife (holds just as much backing as religion, its my belief) then people would of course say its not the police's fault i'm not leaving but my own. Considering there is nothing actually stopping me, unless i repeat they are being forced to wear the Niqab when they go out.

Because of what the KKK represent. Does a Muslim woman in a Niqaab immediately scream out "robbery, theft, murder"?:rolleyes:

It sends out wrong messages to me. For a start Britian has come so far with women's rights, it seems a plunge back to the dark ages.
Not to mention insulting to men, insinuating they just wouldn't be able to control themselves at the sight of their face (stop flattering yourself). A balaclava then, a ski mask, a Halloween mask not Halloween. Basically anything but a Niqab.

And what? You're suggesting we limit what people are allowed to wear on how popular it is within the public eye? The Niqab generally represents Islam, which quite a lot of people in Britain also seem to dislike just like the KKK,
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tengentoppa
1. Yes because a man's natural state is to be a rapist. If it woman doesn't cover herself up a man is like a wild animal with no controls who will immediately assault the women.
2. Showing your face isn't immodest, it's polite.
3. You're more likely to focus on a person's appearance if they look like a dementor rather than if they dress normally. And even if your point is correct, why don't men wear the veil too? It would ensure no-one considers physical characteristics.
4. Of course, because countries where many women wear the veil have such a wonderful record on gender equality. You're deluding yourself if you actually think the veil promotes the status of women in society.

Because The women are the one that need to be protected and men do't get assaulted by women like men do to the opposite sex. I didn't say that the veil promotes the statues of women in society.All I meant was that at least men will respect her as a sign of respect for her religion because she wears a veil.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending