The Student Room Group

Can you trust over weight people less?

On the basis they have less self control? they are more likely to screw you over for their own benefit. Discuss?

I am becoming increasingly weary brah.

Scroll to see replies

I don't think judging someones trust on the basis of weight is ever accurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bill_Gates

On the basis they have less self control? they are more likely to screw you over for their own benefit. Discuss?

Getting away from the discriminatory issues of this, not everyone who is fat is fat because of lack of self control. They may have medical conditions which cause it, which throws your argument that they have less self control and therefore less trustworthy, right out of the window...
Original post by mobbsy91
Getting away from the discriminatory issues of this, not everyone who is fat is fat because of lack of self control. They may have medical conditions which cause it, which throws your argument that they have less self control and therefore less trustworthy, right out of the window...

And what percentage of overweight people have these rare medical conditions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you trust people with greasy hair less because they are too lazy to wash it? Can you trust anorexic people less because they can't make themselves eat?

I too am becoming increasingly weary.
Original post by DiddyDec
And what percentage of overweight people have these rare medical conditions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

God knows... I was just giving it as an example as why someone may be fat but not apply to the argument in the OP... In any case, your post about it just not being right to judge someone on their weight is the bigger moral argument for it....
Original post by JoshDawg
Can you trust people with greasy hair less because they are too lazy to wash it? Can you trust anorexic people less because they can't make themselves eat?

Would've been so much simpler if you'd left it at: Can you trust anyone?

Then it'd be a simple no.
Reply 7
You're reaching. That's one hell of an extrapolation. The only thing I wouldn't trust them with is my bag of cookies.
Reply 8
On the basis that we're discussing those overweight people that comfort eat (not those with medical conditions and genetic predisposition) to relieve stress perhaps the original question should include those who

smoke
drink too much alcohol
gamble
under eat through stress
shopaholics
nail biters

Should we trust any of the above?

Lack of self control manifests itself in different ways with different people so you can't just single out habitual nibblers. We deal with stress in different ways but it doesn't mean we're all intrinsically untrustworthy.
Reply 9
Original post by Folion
On the basis that we're discussing those overweight people that comfort eat (not those with medical conditions and genetic predisposition) to relieve stress perhaps the original question should include those who

smoke
drink too much alcohol
gamble
under eat through stress
shopaholics
nail biters

Should we trust any of the above?

Lack of self control manifests itself in different ways with different people so you can't just single out habitual nibblers. We deal with stress in different ways but it doesn't mean we're all intrinsically untrustworthy.

1. smoking is on the decline now in western countries whereas obesity is on the up, FAST!
2. yes they are alcoholics they do have a registered disease and thus need help and can't make personal choices. Of course you can't trust an alcoholic with a fiver, come on.

I will stop there lol.
Original post by JoshDawg

Maybe the showers broken brah.
Maybe the showers broken brah.

Blame the overweight people, you can never trust em brah...
Original post by mobbsy91

tiny minority have genuine medical conditions. Will call them outliers and continue my research.

I shall receive a large grant for this.
tiny minority have genuine medical conditions. Will call them outliers and continue my research.

Pun intended?
What a bizarre question...
Definitely, when my friends aren't looking I always steal their food.

Fair enough...

Well, my opinion isn't really a good representation because I don't trust anyone, and as being fat falls under that category, I therefore don't trust fat people anyway...
Original post by Precious Illusions
Definitely, when my friends aren't looking I always steal their food.

you're not really fat though are you!? :wink:

(Is that all you wanted to hear?!!?):biggrin:
You can trust a fat person to eat all the pies.

So yes they can be trusted
you're not really fat though are you!? :wink:

(Is that all you wanted to hear?!!?):biggrin:

:iiam: You should probably buy me a meal regardless though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending