The Student Room Group

To all Feminists : Why are you feminists?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quantex
Because I've seen the long term damage that rape does and because I'm appalled with our relaxed attitude towards rape and sexual assault.

Im sorry about what you have seen/experienced. What makes you feel that there is a relaxed attitude towards sexual assault and rape? Furthermore do you think that men are victims of these 2 crimes you mentioned?
Original post by ChickenMadness
I realised I wanted to be a feminist when I was about 9/10 and all the girls would go around punching the boys and saying "you can't hit me because I'm a girl." I'd hit them anyway because I am a feminist.

This attitude is the same in the majority of females. Nearly all of them think They're entitled to be violent towards men without any consequences.

This is what i do not like about women, saying " you cant hit us because you are a girl"

If you piss me off to a certain extent, hit me or attack one of my friends

I will hit you.

If you act like a man, u dont see why they would not want to be treated like one. Equality after all isn't it?
I'm a feminist because I believe in equal rights for men and women- why wouldn't you?!
It's quite a simple concept to me and I don't ever get why men seem to reckon women are weaker than them because we're definitely not...
Plus many issue face men too and only when we have equal rights among ALL people can we begin to combat it all
Original post by n.ocallaghan99
I'm a feminist because I believe in equal rights for men and women- why wouldn't you?!
It's quite a simple concept to me and I don't ever get why men seem to reckon women are weaker than them because we're definitely not...
Plus many issue face men too and only when we have equal rights among ALL people can we begin to combat it all

Who said i didnt believe in equal rights for genders? And if you are what is the point of calling yourself a feminist that only fights for womens rights? You ever heard of the word 'Egalitarian' ?

Men are stronger than women on average.

I dont get that last sentence...
Original post by MenAreHumanToo
Im sorry about what you have seen/experienced. What makes you feel that there is a relaxed attitude towards sexual assault and rape? Furthermore do you think that men are victims of these 2 crimes you mentioned?

To give one example: We, as a society, have created a justice system that deems it appropriate for the punishment for violently raping a 16 year old to be 4 years in prison. That's a relaxed attitude to rape.

Yes, men are victims of sexual assault. Something we like to sweep under the carpet, like we often do when women are the victims. The largest ongoing single investigation into sexual abuse involves all male victims (to the best of my knowledge) . Potentially several hundred of them. It has received very little mainstream media attention.
Original post by n.ocallaghan99

How are women NOT weaker than men? The average amateur male boxer could knock out the women's world champion within a few rounds. Furthermore, women are much more mentally and emotionally weak than men, mainly due to the amount of attention they are used to.

I'm always very skeptical of women who say they aren't scared of men. Imagine if society was destroyed, and we returned to cavemen times. You're away from your tribe picking fruit or whatever, when a lone adult male starts walking towards you. Tell me that you wouldn't be scared? Obviously that's all hypothetical, but it's why I always take comments like that with a pinch of salt. Furthermore, the women who say they're not scared of men are often the ones who campaign against the 'patriarchy', yet rely on male- run systems to protect them. Very ironic if you ask me.
So much bigotry, misunderstanding and ignorance in this thread. If it weren't so sad that people hold these opinions, it would be funny.

Feminism is called feminism because it is a movement to raise the profile of women in society. Men don't need their profile raised. It's already been done. Look through history, and there is nothing but the achievements of men and the women they have trampled on to achieve this.

You don't bring about equality in an unequal society by fighting for both sides. Such an argument is simply nonsense.

Those who say "I don't like gender quotas in employment, is goes against natural free-market principles" - I have a particular disdain for you. Look further. Do try to open your eyes a little wider than what can be seen right in front of your nose. Consider that perhaps the reason women aren't naturally as qualified as men is because they have been treated in a sexist manner since birth? They are encouraged to take specific subjects in school, they are encouraged to conform to stereotypes. That happens right from the moment people are born in virtually every culture on the planet. There is literally no reason - biological, psychological, or philosophical - as to why women should achieve to a lesser extent than men, and yet they do not achieve as highly. This is due to the pressure placed upon them in society.

It's really quite sad to hear some people in this threat peddling nonsense about their view of equality from what is already an incredibly privileged position. It's arrogant, and it's ridiculous. Let the people who have been oppressed for many thousands of years and only just beginning to turn the tide decide what equality is.

Yours faithfully,

A man.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Quantex
To give one example: We, as a society, have created a justice system that deems it appropriate for the punishment for violently raping a 16 year old to be 4 years in prison. That's a relaxed attitude to rape.

Yes, men are victims of sexual assault. Something we like to sweep under the carpet, like we often do when women are the victims. The largest ongoing single investigation into sexual abuse involves all male victims (to the best of my knowledge) . Potentially several hundred of them. It has received very little mainstream media attention.

Ah, yes I see what you mean. If you could. what sentence would you give them?

Yes unfortunately it is. I also find it appalling that the law states penetrations is required. Not only is this damaging to the male, but the female will get a very light sentence in comparison to that of a man committing rape.

Wow i didn't even know about that. Just goes to show, like you said it is swept under the carpet. Saddening really
Original post by barrysmith
So much bigotry, misunderstanding and ignorance in this thread. If it weren't so sad that people hold these opinions, it would be funny.

Feminism is called feminism because it is a movement to raise the profile of women in society. Men don't need their profile raised. It's already been done. Look through history, and there is nothing but the achievements of men and the women they have trampled on to achieve this.

Ok. Then why do feminists keep saying they fight for both men and women? Also you talk about the history. That's done we cant change that. If you cant see how women are more priviledged then men in the present day i suggest you start your research.

You don't bring about equality in an unequal society by fighting for both sides. Such an argument is simply nonsense.

???

Those who say "I don't like gender quotas in employment, is goes against natural free-market principles" - I have a particular disdain for you. Look further. Do try to open your eyes a little wider than what can be seen right in front of your nose. Consider that perhaps the reason women aren't naturally as qualified as men is because they have been treated in a sexist manner since birth? They are encouraged to take specific subjects in school, they are encouraged to conform to stereotypes. That happens right from the moment people are born in virtually every culture on the planet. There is literally no reason - biological, psychological, or philosophical - as to why women should achieve to a lesser extent than men.

How do you know that it isnt down to biological/psychological purposes? It seems to me that you do no want to accept it IS down to nature. But it seems like you are trying to find every reason to accept that it is a mans fault

It's really quite sad to hear some people in this threat peddling nonsense about their view of equality from what is already an incredibly privileged position. It's arrogant, and it's ridiculous. Let the people who have been oppressed for many thousands of years and only just beginning to turn the tide decide what equality is.

Can't even....... :colonhash:

Yours faithfully,

A man.

"we need more woman CEOs"
yeah we also need more woman coal miners, woman construction workers, woman politicians, woman technicians
we need more male nurses, male carers, male teachers
don't go preaching gender equality if you're going to be selective about it is what i'll say :smile:
Original post by SamuelSingleton
yeah we also need more woman coal miners, woman construction workers, woman politicians, woman technicians
don't go preaching gender equality if you're going to be selective about it is what i'll say :smile:

Yep. Couldn't agree more
Original post by K.C
Because it began as putting women on equal footing as men and focused on getting rights for women to vote etcc

I guess no one really cares to change the meaning but there has been more equality been the genders most recently rather than lets say as early as 20-30 years ago.

Yeah as a concept feminism is about 20-30 years out of date. Technically it is sexist in todays context.
Original post by SamuelSingleton

Clearly all you hear of feminism is that which emerges through it's critics. Feminism does preach these things, and very commonly.
Original post by MenAreHumanToo

So you're suggesting women are naturally incapable? On what basis? Why might that be? And why does that suggest they should be treated differently?

Thank Christ you aren't a scientist. If you made such an airy-fairy statement in the context of scientific research, you'd be laughed out of the field.
Original post by Quantex
Because I've seen the long term damage that rape does and because I'm appalled with our relaxed attitude towards rape and sexual assault.

I think you'll find that more men than women get raped because of prisons, certainly in the USA anyway. 33,000 men a year get raped in US jails alone.

And I don't think our attitude is relaxed. Even minor sex crime is considered worse than murder.
So you're suggesting women are naturally incapable? On what basis? Why might that be? And why does that suggest they should be treated differently?

Thank Christ you aren't a scientist. If you made such an airy-fairy statement in the context of scientific research, you'd be laughed out of the field.

You need to work on your inference skills mate. Its biological, just because women cant do things that men can do, doesn't mean they are incapable. Men are good at tings women aren't and vice versa.

I do not even know why you are comparing me to a scientist. Thats pretty stupid ._.
Original post by aaronlowe
I think you'll find that more men than women get raped because of prisons, certainly in the USA anyway. 33,000 men a year get raped in US jails alone.

And I don't think our attitude is relaxed. Even minor sex crime is considered worse than murder.

Plus the fact that men might not report it due to the fear of embarrassment/not taken seriously/emasculated
Clearly all you hear of feminism is that which emerges through it's critics. Feminism does preach these things, and very commonly.

What a shame that the whole movement is dominated by the unorthodox view of radical feminists, to which i fail to see any attempt at gender equality
Because we believe in equality of the sexes. Pure and simple.
Original post by ibzombie96
Because we believe in equality of the sexes. Pure and simple.

So you are an Egaliterian then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending