The Student Room Group

Integration question?

Can I integrate a function with substitution when the limits are outside the range of the substitution function? eg.

22x dx=...\displaystyle\int^{2}_{-2} x\ dx = ... (obviously you wouldn't use a substitution here), letting u=cosx u = cos x . As obviously cosx2or2 cos x \not={ -2 or 2} ??
Original post by JackB003
Can I integrate a function with substitution when the limits are outside the range of the substitution function? eg.

22x dx=...\displaystyle\int^{2}_{-2} x\ dx = ... (obviously you wouldn't use a substitution here), letting u=cosx u = cos x . As obviously cosx2or2 cos x \not={ -2 or 2} ??

I think you meant let x=cosux = \cos u? Generally no, you cannot, but in certain situations you can (such as when a function has an asymptote).
Reply 2
Original post by lizard54142
I think you meant let x=cosux = \cos u? Generally no, you cannot, but in certain situations you can (such as when a function has an asymptote).

No, you can put u=cos(x), so you're essentially using x=arccos(u).

Edit: Nvm, I see why you said that :smile:
Original post by Gome44
No, you can put u=cos(x), so you're essentially using x=arccos(u)

I believe the OP wanted a situation where the substitution was undefined for those particular values.
Reply 4
If you'd like a proper example the use this: 2211x2 dx \displaystyle\int^{2}_{-2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\ dx where x=sinu x = sin u
(edited 8 years ago)
If you'd like a proper example the use this: 2211x2 dx \displaystyle\int^{2}_{-2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\ dx where x=sinu x = sin u

This does not have a "real" solution, you'd be delving into the world of complex numbers.
Reply 6

What do you think that integral represents?

Can you draw a graph of the function you're integrating over the range of integration? :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by davros
What do you think that integral represents?

Can you draw a graph of the function you're integrating over the range of integration? :biggrin:

Yeah I did that afterwards and know I can't think of a valid example... :/

Quick Reply

Latest