The Student Room Group

why are guns still legal in the USA

Scroll to see replies

It's something like a third of american think their government was in some way directly responsible for 9/11. So here they have a government they think wants to kill them, yet they can;t even overthrow it with their sacred guns which is one the points of the second amendment. :indiff:

Case in point.

Original post by Frankenfein

You know America's government is ****ed up the American people need their guns to resist against them. Do you really trust the American government? LOL

So then get resisting. What is stopping you? You got your guns. Now get out there and overthrow your corrupt government.
(edited 8 years ago)
Because... 'MURICA!
Even so, how exactly would they remove all the guns? They are ubiquitous in that country, it would take decades. Plus there would be lots of deaths due to people trying to cling onto them desperately.
illegalizin guns wont change nothin....90% of guns used on the streets are illegal...
Yep, making guns illegal and forcing regular law abiding gun owners to turn in their firearms will really make people safer from armed criminals, how did you come up with piece of genius OP?
Reply 65
Original post by RFowler
There are plenty of legitimate uses for guns. Including things like sporting shooting. And of course, they are successfully used for self defence, in which case their use saves lives. Why exactly should legitimate gun users be punished with a total ban?

I'm all for stricter regulations, but total bans on guns are usually a terrible idea.

Thanks for the reply.

In the UK, I believe that we are allowed to shoot for sport, and I'm not advocating preventing this from occurring.

As for self-defence, I addressed that point in my post - there's no difference in crime rates between places in which guns have been banned or strictly controlled and places in which guns are still legal.

This suggests that possession of guns is not an effective deterrent, and research by the Harvard School of Public Health has found that guns are far more likely to be used for intimidation than for defence.
(edited 8 years ago)
If guns were banned in the U.S then criminals would find other waus to get them which would lead to even more violence and also it would be against are rights under the constitution. Could also start alot more riots

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wesleigh
Things can change. Constitutions can be re-written. Ever heard of an amendment?

Yeah...Amendments which require 2/3 of each house of Congress to vote on and 3/4 of the state legislatures to ratify.

The US Constitution has existed for over 200 years, and in that time there have only been 27 amendments, with the first 10 being implemented shortly after it was written, so really, there have only been 17 across 200 years. Does that maybe suggest to you that changing it will be very difficult?
Reply 68
Original post by NathanAllen
If guns were banned in the U.S then criminals would find other waus to get them which would lead to even more violence and also it would be against are rights under the constitution. Could also start alot more riots

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but the majority of these people who commit these crimes weren't criminals, but the only REASON THEY BECOME CRIMINALS is because of how readily available guns are. Do you think that a scrawny little kid like Adam Lanza would consider going on a massacre if he couldn't easily get a gun? No. The fact that guns are so easily bought was the trigger which caused him to do it.
Reply 69
Because Americans can't function without guns. No but seriously its a different country and I'm sure it says so in their constitional rights or whatever..something along those lines.
Original post by PopaPork

“Ninety-three per cent of blacks in America are killed by other blacks.”

1) Who's ass did you pull that fact from?
2) I'm pretty sure at least 90% of black people in America die because of other things nothing to do with murder.
3) How has black people got anything to do with making guns illegal?
4) You are a dumbass.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by futbol
Oh I don't know, it's not like it's in the ****ING CONSTITUTION...

:shot:

Begging the question.
Original post by sandvika
1) Who's ass did you pull that fact from?
2) I'm pretty sure at least 90% of black people in America because of other things nothing to do with murder.
3) How has black people got anything to do with making guns illegal?
4) You are a dumbass.

1)If you Google it you can find the link (it's true by the way)

2) and in English

3) it hasn't but then that wasn't my point

4) you're a troll
1)If you Google it you can find the link (it's true by the way)

2) and in English

3) it hasn't but then that wasn't my point

4) you're a troll

That fact most certainly isn't true and I edited the second point. You are dumb.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Americans have this backward's view that their Government has the power to beat the living communism out of North Korea yet simultaneously can be made utterly redundant by a couple of hicks in southern Texas with 9mm pistols.
trying to ban guns to stop gun crime is pointless
the state with the most restrictive gun laws happens to be the state with the most gun crime! (detroit, michigan)
banning guns simply puts guns out of the hands of innocent people and into the hands of criminals
and assuming you can swat away the cause of liberty or the constitution is revolting in my opinion - even if people die from the right to bear arms, that's a price that's worth paying. one person's liberty shouldn't be based on crime statistics.

the answer to america's gun crime problems is culture and society-based
for example, switzerland has a well-functioning society, and every man is REQUIRED to own and be trained with a fire arm.
do you think switzerland has a lot of crime? no. it doesn't. so don't assume disarming people is going to reduce crime.

and lastly, the UK and australia hardly *ever* had gun massacres in the entirety of its history - in fact, in the UK, buying guns before WWII made texas' gun laws look soft. with the case of these countries, they simply had one massacre each, and those one incidents caused the state to ban guns.
I'm happy that america hasn't fallen for the same stupid **** we and australia have. gun laws aren't going to do anything to people who are determined to do evil.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TARS
Seriously, why?

Because there is something known as the 2nd Amendment to the United States constitution guaranteeing the right of the citizenry to keep and bear arms.

It really is that simple. In the United States, in almost all states you do not need a licence to buy a rifle; you can simply go into Walmart or a sports shop and buy one (including semi-autos). Handguns tend to be slightly more regulated (the distinction being that the 2nd amendment's origin is to protect the right of the citizen to have arms suitable for service as a militiaman, and so, counterintuitively, more military-like weapons like an AR-15 attract protections that handguns do not).

To take away those rights, you would need to have a constitutional amendment, which is very hard to do (you need three-quarters of the states to agree after a two-thirds vote by both houses of congress, or a convention called by congress).

So there you go. The right to keep and bear arms is embedded in American law. If one wants to see change there, they must pursue a constitutional amendment
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NathanAllen

I don't buy that, and it's not borne out by the facts.

Criminals in the US tend to get their guns either by stealing them, or by buying them from corrupt gun dealers. The huge number of legal firearms floating around means it is extremely easy for criminals to get their hands on them.

Criminals find it much harder to get their hands on guns in the UK, because there are far less floating around to be stolen, and much tighter restrictions on gun dealers.

Look at the number of firearms homicides; in 2011 there were over 8,000 firearms homicides in the United States. There were 66 firearms homicides in the UK. The UK has one-fifth the population of the US, so if Britain had the same population we could expect to see 300 gun homicides in the US, not 8,000

They have a serious problem with firearms. I can respect a constitutional argument. I can't respect an argument that denies that, in making that decision re constitutional rights to firearms, the United States sees the consequence of that in many thousands of excess deaths from firearms
Original post by sandvika
That fact most certainly isn't true and I edited the second point. You are dumb.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I said 30 seconds on Google would have confirmed this for you (Jesus you could have just copied the line a goggled it)

'“Ninety-three per cent of blacks in America are killed by other blacks.”'

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-black-americans-killed-police/19423

It is a fact according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics research into homicides from 1980 to 2008.

You are also a troll and now it seems an idiot
Reply 79
As I said 30 seconds on Google would have confirmed this for you (Jesus you could have just copied the line a goggled it)

'“Ninety-three per cent of blacks in America are killed by other blacks.”'

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-black-americans-killed-police/19423

It is a fact according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics research into homicides from 1980 to 2008.

You are also a troll and now it seems an idiot

You're the idiot since you stopped responding to my argument

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending