The Student Room Group

Why does society punish people in work?

When I used to work (long time ago) I did a standard 9 till 5 job. Yet my bank opened at 9:15 and closed at 4:45. It was always difficult to sort things out cause some things cant be done over the phone. Come the weekend I was free but the bank was closed. So I had no access.

Now I am technically unemployed I have no problems. I can give lots of examples like that. That is just one.

So, why does society, intentionally or inadvertantly punish people in work?
Original post by aaronlowe
When I used to work (long time ago) I did a standard 9 till 5 job. Yet my bank opened at 9:15 and closed at 4:45. It was always difficult to sort things out cause some things cant be done over the phone. Come the weekend I was free but the bank was closed. So I had no access.

Now I am technically unemployed I have no problems. I can give lots of examples like that. That is just one.

So, why does society, intentionally or inadvertantly punish people in work?

lol how does it? it provides them opportunity. If you don't like it, save and then start your own business. But many do not have the brains, risk or idea.
Reply 2
Haircut was the same for me. Nightmare. Saturday mornings was my only option.
Original post by Bubzeh
Haircut was the same for me. Nightmare. Saturday mornings was my only option.

true absolutely hate that lol.
because work is punishment in itself

when you have no job -> plenty of time to enjoy yourself but have no money so cant eat/pay the bills/do fun stuff outside the house

when u have a job -> have money to do all these but have no time

life is a bitch
Your bank is closed on a Saturday?

I think you just needed to change banks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by DiddyDec
Your bank is closed on a Saturday?

I think you just needed to change banks.

I said this was a long time ago. The shops are still closed on Sundays. I like to rest on Saturday as I'm sure many people do. So if you work it's a pain. Seems all the incentives are to not work.
Not everyone works 9-5. I don't ever remember either of my parents working 9-5.
Original post by aaronlowe
I said this was a long time ago. The shops are still closed on Sundays. I like to rest on Saturday as I'm sure many people do. So if you work it's a pain. Seems all the incentives are to not work.

Didn't you get a lunch break?
Reply 9
Says more about your lack of ability to manage your time than anything else.
Reply 10
Most white collar office jobs will let you leave for an hour in the middle of the day to go to the bank or whatever, its not like working retail as a student where you are constantly on the clock and have to account for every minute of your time
Original post by poohat
Most white collar office jobs will let you leave for an hour in the middle of the day to go to the bank or whatever, its not like working retail as a student where you are constantly on the clock and have to account for every minute of your time

You still get a break in retail, no?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending