The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

When will homo/bisexuals no longer need to "come out"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GailQ
Out of interest, how would that be possible? It doesn't really make sense logically as two heterosexuals are
required to make one homosexual? And even with having multiple children the chances of most/all of them being homosexual wouldn't be very high. :confused:

Gail people can have more than one child, let's not forget. But I think you're right. Outnumber may be too strong a word. Equal*
Original post by DiddyDec
So never?

Being heterosexual will always be the default, because naturally it is the default of pretty much every vertebrae on earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They did a study on sheep where a fairly large proportion displayed homosexual or asexual behaviour
It'll never be totally redundant, because some people will always make assumptions, I suppose in the same way that a lot of people generally assume you have two parents and they're usually a mum and a dad or assuming a couple are married, because that was what was common and accepted in society until fairly recently when divorce is becoming more acceptable, and couples who aren't straight can marry and have children through IVF and so on, and for some people their parents might have died or something. So I don't think people assume that as much anymore because a lot of people don't have a mum and a dad. Anyway, back to the point, coming out as LGBT is becoming more acceptable, and it's becoming safer (although not a lot, the death rates for people who are transgender are just awful) so more people are doing it because there's laws meaning you can't be fired for it, etc. In some places anyway. So this means people are in the closet feel more able to come out as gay. And there are more orientations that are becoming more widely known so some people are discovering labels that fit them outside the whole homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual triad. It's not as uncommon to not be straight as people think. I mean it's probably at least as common as being vegetarian really.
I agree with the obvious - when it is more common to be gay than straight.

And even then, being straight will become the big reveal.
Reply 24
Original post by DiddyDec
Well it is a pretty good assumption considering that 99% or there abouts of the population is straight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

99% of the population is not straight lol. Roughly 10% is non-heterosexual.
Original post by MylittlePlusle
It annoys me when someone "comes out"

I thought that being homo/bisexual was accepted now, why do people feel the need to " come out"? It's sad.

When do you think homo/bisexual people will no longer need to "come out"?

Your post implies that you wish there to be a society wherein being gay is common, as in frequently to be encountered, and this simply isn't the case. Being anything other than straight, despite our increasing acceptance, is still not the 'norm' and will, therefore, require an explanation in order for people to be aware of a person's sexuality if not heterosexual.

It isn't a showing of inequality when people come out but rather a very basic announcement of one's sexuality; the consequences of this may result in inequality but the action itself does not.

The only situation where people would not need to come out would be a society that expects people to identity as non-hetrosexual such as ancient Greece, for example.
Original post by MylittlePlusle
It annoys me when someone "comes out"

I thought that being homo/bisexual was accepted now, why do people feel the need to " come out"? It's sad.

When do you think homo/bisexual people will no longer need to "come out"?

Maybe when the human race has evolved to the point where we have psychic, mind reading powers, thus will automatically be able to tell whether somebody is homosexual or not. Until that time though, we just have to rely on them telling us, or "coming out".
Pretty much now.

Because no body really cares. If they do have something negative to say about it well *******s to them.

The whole "coming out" thing hacks me off.
Original post by Sam Walters
Pretty much now.

Because no body really cares. If they do have something negative to say about it well *******s to them.

Could agree... but younger people are still afraid of what people will think of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
At the end of the day isn't coming out just announcing that you aren't straight? Therefore surely until the end of time people will "come out"?

I don't like the terminology behind it but yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sam Walters
Pretty much now.

Why? Because you don't want people to be honest about a part of themselves to the people they love?
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Why? Because you don't want people to be honest about a part of themselves to the people they love?

Why are you trying to put words in my mouth? Stop with that ****....How can you even make a logical connection between what I said and that?

Oh wait. You didn't read all of my post and decided to comment one part of it and thus its out of context.

Think before you post again.
I am a girl I came out as bi cause I was sick of all my straight friends talkingg about curshs when I want a girlfriend. Also it just felt right
Stop doing it!
Start a new thread if you want to discuss
Original post by Lilyeve1
I am a girl I came out as bi cause I was sick of all my straight friends talkingg about curshs when I want a girlfriend. Also it just felt right
Original post by Sammylou40
Stop doing it!
Start a new thread if you want to discuss

tbf you can see half these threads from the "related discussions" at the bottom of the thread and they're always like 5 years old, and because no one bothers to check the timestamps, they just post anyway lmao

Latest

Trending

Trending